AS Seasoned Audiophiles, What Have You Learned?

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
It’s easy to lose your way in this hobby. I started out wanting to build a system that would give me better access to music and for some time I spent time chasing building systems that just gave me better hifi moments. I’m back on track now with a system that simply helps me access better music in the very best way possible for me.

I’ve largely stopped comparing components and now spend more time comparing performances. This week I’ve been working through shortlisting some of the better performances of Bach’s sonatas and partitas for solo violin. Apparently Bach was very much the gifted violinist as well as being the most extraordinary amongst composers. At this stage I’ve got it down to Henryk Szeryng and Arthur Grumiaux as perhaps my old school flag bearers and James Ehnes and Hilary Hahn out of the more current offerings. It’s a tough (brutal) final cut :eek: … though feeling Szeryng and Ehnes might be in the final playoffs.

Don’t get me wrong I love the way my system can sound but more because it makes being focussed in the music simply more possible for me. I guess what I’ve learnt is that we each find our own way and in the end we then find our own destinations.
IMO Kremer’s Partitas is a must among any others you pick, his interpretation is so different as is his passion from anyone else’s.

david

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I would like to get more into classical but haven't a clue as to what performers/recordings are worth the investment. I have blindly bought LPs of music by composers I like, probably chosen because of attractive covers, and been disappointed. Your insight from trial and error helps me save money and time so thank you. I very much appreciate your sharing on this forum.
I am not into classical.
Here is a good place to start.
What are you currently listening to (Classical)? | What's Best Audio and Video Forum. The Best High End Audio Forum on the planet! (whatsbestforum.com)

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
I would like to get more into classical but haven't a clue as to what performers/recordings are worth the investment. I have blindly bought LPs of music by composers I like, probably chosen because of attractive covers, and been disappointed. Your insight from trial and error helps me save money and time so thank you. I very much appreciate your sharing on this forum.
Very much appreciated Rensselaer. Performance in classical is so varied and more or less can seem to make or break the experience of a great composition.

Tim @tima has been encouraging expanding discussion on music and recommendations and it’s something I’m finding increasingly valuable in turning more time over to working through my library and refining and learning more and enriching further my listening time. While the focus here is very clearly primarily audio that for me is a fantastic means to an even more fabulous and meaningful end.

Reactions: Happily Trying

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
IMO Kremer’s Partitas is a must among any others you pick, his interpretation is so different as is his passion from anyone else’s.

david
Shortlisting this kind of music is a killer task. So much to enjoy in this epic including those. I must admit putting Szigeti and Milstein off the island was also no clear and easy moment.

jbrrp1

Aug 3, 2020
Shortlisting this kind of music is a killer task. So much to enjoy in this epic including those. I must admit putting Szigeti and Milstein off the island was also no clear and easy moment.
Yeah, I was going to ask about Milstein in your mix. I find his set my "return" favorite, for four decades now. I guess it imprinted on me!

Reactions: the sound of Tao

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
One of the things I have learned: implementation trumps theory.

Reactions: Uk Paul

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Thanks for that recommendation, David. I will look for it.

Have always taken Grumiaux as the 'standard'. I also like Sigiswald Kuijken.
Haven’t heard that one Tim I’ll look into this one too since I really love the Partitas. Ida Haendel’s interpretation is another interesting one specially since it incorporates a woman’s sensitivities.

david

Reactions: tima

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Grumiaux (not Phillips really pressing) and Kujiken (Harmonia Mundi)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Milstein

Gregm

Mar 14, 2019
France
There is something magical in the sound of strings from a TT...
I (too?) prefer Grumiaux over Mistein. Not familiar with the Kuijken version

Reactions: tima

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
German Harmonia Mundi – DHL 20401.03
I'm not a huge fan of HIP but this is different thanks to period instrument.

HMs are well recorded and have some very good baroque especially for the price

Here’s a low priced HP Kenneth Gilbert, Goldberg variations on the harpsichord HMC 1240

with a Hana ML cart on a 4k cost of TT with arm, the harpsichord highs vary significantly depending on the cart. I remember at Tang’s moving from vdh to Opus or any other made the top half of harpsichord seem cut off

Last edited:

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
How little I actually know.
How different very good products sound.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Here’s a low priced HP Kenneth Gilbert, Goldberg variations on the harpsichord HMC 1240

I confess to being partial to piano for the Goldbergs and for piano it's Gould, either version.

But if you want Bach harpsichord, there is, imo, none better than Wanda Landowska. Born in 1879. This was recorded in 1933. Several recorded versions up through 1950(?), lots of reissues. A reason to have a mono cartridge. Also try her vigorous Well-Tempered Clavier.

Reactions: Gregm

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I confess to being partial to piano for the Goldbergs and for piano it's Gould, either version.

But if you want Bach harpsichord, there is, imo, none better than Wanda Landowska. Born in 1879. This was recorded in 1933. Several recorded versions up through 1950(?), lots of reissues. A reason to have a mono cartridge. Also try her vigorous Well-Tempered Clavier.

Gould is ok, best is Maria Yudina on Melodiya, if you can find one.

She is also the pianist that features playing the Mozart’s 23rd concerto in opening sequence of the movie Death of Stalin

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Here’s a short take on Yvonne Lefebure playing a partita on the piano

Reactions: Long Live Analog

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing