Audio Research releases Its 40th Anniversary Preamp

Microstrip, please tell us more about your impressions of the 40th Aniv preamp. I am going to shoot out in a few days at some friends house. We are going to see how the much vaunted Einstein Tube mk2 holds up against my friends new CAT Renaissance... should be very interesting. However, at this level,I wander how the ARC Aniv preamp would hold up.

Microstrip, please tell us more about your impressions of the 40th Aniv preamp.
For an interesting and biased discussion abouth the REF40 see:

http://www.avguide.com/blog/big-dif...on-anniversary-edition-reference-preamplifier

I like the preamplifier a lot - it completely changed my perception of CD sound. Although this is a old cliché for every new high price preamplifier, it makes you feel as if the reproduction of music is less electronic, and at the same time has more of the typical audiophile qualities - detail, 3D, impact and bass control.

But remember than any preamplifier is only part of a system - I am very skeptic about comparing top of the range preamplifiers just swapping them in a system. You just find which one matches the system better.

For me the REF40 increases a lot the pleasure I get from music. But my owner pride is not enough to make me feel that I was some hours ago sitting in the Concertgebouw of Amsterdam or that it is the better preamplifier in the world. It is just one of the best!

Has anyone compared this to the Ref 5? Would love to hear any thoughts on it. Own the Ref 5 and was made a tempting offer.

Has anyone compared this to the Ref 5? Would love to hear any thoughts on it. Own the Ref 5 and was made a tempting offer.

I owned the Ref5 before getting the Anniversary. Although I spent a few very agreeable years with the Ref5 the difference side by side was much larger than I could imagine when I bought it. In some aspects it combines the musical coherency of the old cj ART with the accuracy of the ARC Ref5, but also improves bass impact, micro-dynamics and purity of sound.

I owned the Ref5 before getting the Anniversary. Although I spent a few very agreeable years with the Ref5 the difference side by side was much larger than I could imagine when I bought it. In some aspects it combines the musical coherency of the old cj ART with the accuracy of the ARC Ref5, but also improves bass impact, micro-dynamics and purity of sound.

Would be interesting to know if anyone compared the Anniversary to the CJ GAT Preamp, both seem limited edition types with comparable prices, also from what I understand the GAT has been highly regarded as well - Alan Sircom is a fan of it.

Cheers
Orb

Thx for the reply. So is it fair to say that going to the 40 was an immediately noticeable jump up?

Would be interesting to know if anyone compared the Anniversary to the CJ GAT Preamp, both seem limited edition types with comparable prices, also from what I understand the GAT has been highly regarded as well - Alan Sircom is a fan of it.

Cheers
Orb

So is HP. I am too but would love to hear the ARC. Problem is you really need a system with the cj amp/preamp vs. the ARC preamp/amp. That complicates matters.

So is HP. I am too but would love to hear the ARC. Problem is you really need a system with the cj amp/preamp vs. the ARC preamp/amp. That complicates matters.

Yeah there is that.
I was interested originally in using a reference tube preamp to connect to a reference solid state power amp (done this in the past but not using a reference preamp), so that would be one way to compare the two preamps but then the solid state power amp needs to be ideal for both, however that should not be too much of a challenge when looking at reference-SOTA quality solid state power amps.
Appreciate there are a lot though who do not like tube preamp with solid state power amps.

Cheers
Orb

Yeah there is that.
I was interested originally in using a reference tube preamp to connect to a reference solid state power amp (done this in the past but not using a reference preamp), so that would be one way to compare the two preamps but then the solid state power amp needs to be ideal for both, however that should not be too much of a challenge when looking at reference-SOTA quality solid state power amps.
Appreciate there are a lot though who do not like tube preamp with solid state power amps.

Cheers
Orb

I guess what I was trying to say is that cj is solely SE while if I remember ARC runs (and sounds best?) balanced. Not that one can't pair ss with tube or vice versa. So that can affect the comparison.

I guess what I was trying to say is that cj is solely SE while if I remember ARC runs (and sounds best?) balanced. Not that one can't pair ss with tube or vice versa. So that can affect the comparison.

Hahaha I did think about that in my 1st post on CJ here but then forgot about it.. Doh :)
I wonder how many do use balanced on their ARCs, I do agree some equipment is better on that (experienced it myself).

Thanks
Orb

as posted in my separate thread about Kondo, CJ, ARC REf 5, Shindo, etc...i am also considering a big step up in my pre...to go with an all Class-A SS amp (Gryphon Antileon). would be great to hear any comparisons between CJ GAT and ARC Ann Ref 40!! i have long been a fan of CJ (owned 1 amp and 2 pre's including my current ACT 2 Series 1)...and really only came to consider ARC after hearing Ref 5. (Respected Ref 3, but never loved it enough to consider it.) have been told the Ref 40 is phenomenal by 3 different people who've heard it.

(...) would be great to hear any comparisons between CJ GAT and ARC Ann Ref 40!! (...)

As Myles already referred, this is not possible as you can not compare these top of the range preamplifiers just swapping them in a system (except your current one, of course ...) .

At this level of performance you have to optimize the whole system to take profit of the top characteristics of each of the preamplifiers. From my experience with the cj ART II (never owned the version III) and the Anniversary 40 the source is also of primordial importance in the choice - my opinions will always be biased because I own an ARC CD8 . But the few times I heard DCS gear sounding great was using a cj preamplifier.

As Myles already referred, this is not possible as you can not compare these top of the range preamplifiers just swapping them in a system (except your current one, of course ...) .

At this level of performance you have to optimize the whole system to take profit of the top characteristics of each of the preamplifiers. From my experience with the cj ART II (never owned the version III) and the Anniversary 40 the source is also of primordial importance in the choice - my opinions will always be biased because I own an ARC CD8 . But the few times I heard DCS gear sounding great was using a cj preamplifier.

Still, it should still be possible to consider comparing them on SOTA solid state amp that is equally as good for both XLR and RCA and equally good on sound presentation for both the CJ and ARC.
This of course relies upon being able to set comparable output voltages (not sure how flexible either of the Pres are for setting gain or output voltage) that are usually 3db different between XLR and RCA.

Cheers
Orb

Yes, personally, i have never relied on one review, one person's opinion or 1 evaluation using one system for making a decision about any component. But i have been greatly helped in the past by asking different people their opinions on gear i have not heard yet...or at least to help me prioritize which pieces of gear i wish to hear first. In the end, any well-conceived/thoughtful write-up of a head to head comparison in 1 given system (or 2) might not be definitive (we all must listen for ouselves and make our own decisions based on our own systems and ears)...but it sure would be fun and interesting to read as part of helping to shape an understanding of a component.

Does anyone know how many of these they sold? The time must be coming to the end right about now.

Does anyone know how many of these they sold? The time must be coming to the end right about now.

As far as our ARC distributor told me last week many more than any one could expect. ARC is just taking the last orders during the next month. But even more astonishing is the success of the Reference Phono 2.

It was the first time I bought something without ever listening or seeing it - perhaps not a wise act - as I got one of the very first units to be shipped. But sometimes you have more luck than reason, I now consider it the best piece of equipment I have ever bought.

I should clarify what I understand by the last sentence. Take it is this sense - if I was asked to change everything in my system, I would easily figure out easily how to replace any of the parts, except the Audio Research Anniversary preamplifier.

Microstrip - that is great news. sometimes in life you have to take chances...calculated ones no doubt...you already knew the ARC sounds and how well and consistently they manufacture/design. You made a good bet and came up a winner. Congrats. Would love to hear it but there are none around. I currently have a similar view of my Zanden DAC, though i will say the little Nordost Qx4 is so good and appears to do nothing wrong, that i anticipate putting into any system i own in the future. Funny - i feel quite good about my entire system...but the pre is where i would probably make a change (and my transport when the server technology matures a little more)...and i thought the Ref 5 was fantastic...but not enough for me to just give up my CJ ACT 2. i gave a fleeting thought to the Anniversary but its not where i wish to spend that much money right now. maybe whenever a s/hand unit comes up in a couple of years? Enjoy!!!!!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing