Audio Science: Does it explain everything about how something sounds?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As microstrip pointed out, big rooms and specifically large performance venues are quite different from small, typical listening rooms. Yes, some of the acoustic theory is similar, but measurement and treatments are dramatically different. As if small room acoustics was not complex enough, large performance space issues are way,way more so. Which is why there have been so many large scale failures in famous halls, like Avery Fisher Hall, which BTW is to be renamed at some point, I understand. Disney Hall in LA is a more recent disaster.

Fortunately, home listening room acoustics has developed and improved considerably in spite of these fiascos. Both passive treatments and DSP EQ seem to be growing their niche among audiophiles rather nicely. I agree, we want to hear the natural resonance of the performance venue, not the listening room. I have been quite happy for the last 8 years achieving just that, as I say happily as a classical music listener who goes to many live concerts.

My whole point was that science isn't enough, even when money is abundant. While the science of acoustics seems to be more accessible these days, the art and knowledge side is disappearing. I've dealt with a quite a few Rives and Rives style rooms in the past, all pseudo science and no art. Every time we ended up ripping out 80%-100% of all their installations and had to start over again. They might work for HT but they're not for music reproduction. Even Mike L. continues to dig out more and more of his room. I can't comment on your setup but for me, I haven't found a silver bullet. Every installation has its own nuances and complications and because construction is expensive, messy & without any guarantees, its a tough pill to swallow by most, so we end up doing partial work, just enough for the client to be able to sit back, relax and forget about audio.

david

That is where you enter a fundamental conceptual mistake. If a band plays in my listening room, that IS the live space and the room reflections are an integral part of the live sound. Yet if a system is to reproduce a band playing in an another venue, it needs to portray the acoustics of that venue. It can only do that if the room that it plays in gets out of the way. That is why you need room treatment, to let your room disappear and the recorded space be reproduced.

I mistakenly used the listening room in my hypothetical of a live band playing in one’s home. I should have said kitchen or dining room just to simplify my point. I’m well aware of at least some room acoustic fundamentals. In one previous room, it took me over 9 months (part time obviously) to locate an optimal placement for my speakers. Nevertheless, if somebody happens to have a listening room that is way out of whack, then perhaps there should be some positive steps taken to return the room to a sense of reasonableness.

But as a minimalist, you give me an empty room with reasonable dimensions, carpeting and pad, an absorptive material chair and 2 ottomans, and enough room to move the speakers into an optimal placement, and I’m good to go. In fact, this is exactly what I’ve done at each of the audio shows I exhibited in back in 2011. I intentionally left every picture and mirror on the walls (uncovered) and in one room I even had the smallest room (5 ft shorter than the others) at the show with large full-range speakers and I was playing at 100 – 105 db routinely. I was a bit nervous whether I could pull it off because stripping 5ft off the front-to-back length of an already not-so-big room can be pushing the envelope. The second most common comment I received from visitors was that these speakers should be overloading the room or these speakers should sound boomy in this room but they’re not. And if it helps any, I was playing what should be inferior recordings like 60’s and 70’s pop music like The Tokens, Herman’s Hermits, David Essex, and 10cc that other exhibitors wouldn’t dare play at a show. But I enjoy proving what some consider impossible.

The interesting thing in my listening situation is that while with the ASC room treatment strings and some woodwinds like flute became less sharp and hard sounding, brass became in a number of instances sharper and more 'shouty' -- all of it more like the real thing, that is. Good room treatment does not 'sweeten' things up, it makes reproduced timbres more real. More like they sound live, and less filtered through the distortions of your living room.

I find it interesting that you think you can make reproduced timbres more real. If that is true, why stop at timbre? Why not really drive your point home by saying superior room treatments also make harmonics, tonality, warmth, and a small host of other coveted attributes sound more real?

What I find interesting is that first, all of these coveted attributes are already embedded abundantly in most any given recording, but for the most part remain inaudible at the speaker output to one great degree or another for every last playback system due to a much raised noise floor. IOW, if you strain or get out your metaphoric stethoscope listening to music you’re intimately familiar with, you might hear a remnant of all these coveted characteristics that really is just part of the overall music info.

Nevertheless, whether these characteristics are already embeded in the recording (but remain inaudible at the speaker) or somehow not included in the recording at all, you are essentially saying that acoustic treatments act as a recovery mechanism to somehow restore some of the missing realism.

Exactly how do you suppose acoustic treatments recover lost music information that never made it to the speaker output in the first place? I’m sure Ethan Winer would love to know the answer to this question.

I do listen at quite high volume levels and I am happy that my system can reproduce natural hardness of instruments, such as brass. I don't want a 'smooth' sounding system like many audiophiles seem to prefer, and fortunately, I don't have one. I listened to the avantgarde jazz group Art Ensemble of Chicago, live in 1972, at loud volume yesterday and I just loved the often raucous and aggressive sound which showed good natural hardness as well when needed; that clangy sound of metallic percussion at the loudest point of the music is something to behold. And boy, the musicianship in that performance is through the roof.

Although you may thoroughly enjoy what you hear, I can pretty much guarantee you’re hearing far less of all the music embedded in a given recording than you think.

It appears to me that you argue from a point of view that seems theoretically right to you -- it isn't, see my remarks at the beginning of this post -- but that you have little practical experience with what good room treatment can do to a system's performance.

Actually, aside from my wife occasionally playing her flute in my listening room or elsewhere in my home, I have zero experience with live musicians playing anywhere in my home. In the past 5 or 6 years, I’ve actually gone out of my way to remove or abstain from acoustic treatments to demonstrate they are unnecessary. But that alone should not constitute that I’m theorizing.

I probably should have qualified my previous post by stating that since our speakers are not live music instruments but rather 2 sound sources, speaker placement is paramount within a given room. But this is primarily for achieving most accurate bass reproduction, soundstage depth, width, and height only. But it’s a given those items have everything to do with a given speaker’s interaction with a given room and in those cases where optional speaker placement cannot be found or achieved for whatever reason some acoustic treatment can compensate, particularly the bass. Yeah, there’s focus, stereo imaging, etc, but in the grander scale of things those are relatively minor and easy to achieve.

I suggest you engage less in your theorizing (I do find your observations about radiation patterns interesting though) and more in serious experimentation with room treatment to see what it can do for your listening experience.

Hypothetically, if per chance my playback system was able to achieve far greater levels of musicality without any acoustic treatments whatsoever (except for carpeting, carpet pad, and chair) than the levels your PB system could achieve with say $200k in custom room and associated acoustic treatments, would you still say I was theorizing?

I do agree with you that unfortunately many audiophiles mistake smooth and 'clean' sound for 'musicality'. At classical live performances I like to sit close to the stage and I am often amazed at how brutally hard that brass really sounds (just close your eyes in order judge the sound as is and not let visual impressions bias your perception). It seems clear to me that, if these sounds would/could be faithfully reproduced through a system, most audiophiles would judge them to be 'distortion'. But hey, that's live sound, folks. That's as musical as it gets.

Actually, I never made such a comment as it’s neither here nor there pertaining to this discussion. But good point. Maybe.

My whole point was that science isn't enough, even when money is abundant. While the science of acoustics seems to be more accessible these days, the art and knowledge side is disappearing. I've dealt with a quite a few Rives and Rives style rooms in the past, all pseudo science and no art. Every time we ended up ripping out 80%-100% of all their installations and had to start over again. ... david

David, I'm not going to presume we're in agreement on much of anything here but I appreciate your forthrightness. It's interesting as it seems to me that the more some (not all) rely on "science", the more some (not all) are so willing or so quick to check their brain off at the door so-to-speak and just "leave it to science." If that is a point you were trying to make, I couldn't agree more.

I also appreciate your use of the term "pseudo science" because in the end I suspect that is much of what many of these debates are really about. I always considered science as a discipline for establishing foundational principles, postulations, etc. primarily to springboard toward greater discoveries and achievements but instead has become some indisputable set of "scientific facts" that really do nothing except keep everybody down on the non-crop-producing farm thats been in foreclosure.

My original intention in responding was only to commend you on your comments, but I kept typing so I'm just going to let my hair down a bit about this "audio science" subject because frankly I despise it since it has little or nothing to do with real audio performance. Your Rives example though perhaps not the best was a good one.

The way I see it, we not only have a right but a duty to question any real scientist's claims because just like philosophers, often times it only takes one generation to disprove the previous generations "facts". Yet, in "audio science", "facts" are rattled off almost as though they are above reproach and you're a dumb ass if you don't agree with what some closet engineer in Norway said about something.

Maybe it's just my perception, but what I seem to find more times than not in audio forums is that "science" has become the end game or even the Holy Grail and real audio performance is no longer of any real interest. That fact has already been clearly established in this very thread.

I have a friend who's fond of saying, "The best thing one can spend on their system is time." Whoever came up with that statement, that is one of the wisest statements I've heard in this industry. It makes me wonder how much time those who have a hankering for "science" actually spend on their systems, not listening but rather trying new concepts, new products, etc. Something tells me it's pretty close to zero time but I won't speculate why.

In short I see all this "science" talk by so many who aren't even real scientists as a sort of roadblock keeping us and our systems from ever progressing even one little increment. Whether intentional or not, "audio science" seems to keep everybody at the lowest common denominator. Almost like it's some sort of overly intelligent way of dumbing people down. For example. More than once I've been exposed to "science-minded" types who claimed that we've already discovered everything there is to know about audio 40 years ago. To my small mind, that was one frickin' incredible statement.

That's why I find Tesla's quote about today's "scientists" so valuable,

"Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality."

That is until I recently read JKeny's even more valuable and pointed signature quote by Daniel J. Boorstin,

"The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance – it is the illusion of knowledge."

Both quotes contain tremendous truths. I just don't understand why so many think such pertinent quotes only apply to people in other galaxies.

In short I see all this "science" talk by so many who aren't even real scientists as a sort of roadblock keeping us and our systems from ever progressing even one little increment. Whether intentional or not, "audio science" seems to keep everybody at the lowest common denominator. Almost like it's some sort of overly intelligent way of dumbing people down. For example. More than once I've been exposed to "science-minded" types who claimed that we've already discovered everything there is to know about audio 40 years ago. To my small mind, that was one frickin' incredible statement.

That's why I find Tesla's quote about today's "scientists" so valuable,

"Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality."

That is until I recently read JKeny's even more valuable and pointed signature quote by Daniel J. Boorstin,

"The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance – it is the illusion of knowledge."

My perspective is that a technology is almost always abandoned before its zenith.

Field-coil technology was abandoned not because it was inferior to what followed, but because what followed was cheaper, more convenient and more easily able to be consumed en masse. Same for vinyl, tape, tubes and even the CD. Science is used to vaunt the newer technologies as superior, but mostly it's marketing. And whatever gains are found, almost no-one asks whether in the process of progress we've lost something along the way.

Of course, often times we then experience a renaissance in which these older, obsolete technologies find favour, but those who adopt them are often written off by being labelled as "nostalgic" or "sentimental" ("they like those warm colourations"). Still, almost no-one predicted that vinyl would be alive and well in 2015, and that the playback of a century-old medium would be achieving state-of-the-art status through continual redevelopment few saw fit to pursue in the decade following CD.

It's been valuable for me to remember that the system that most redefined my sensibilities was created by one of the most well-resourced and robustly-scientific communication think tanks ever. Those guys weren't just making stuff up 'cause there was a market to pander and flog it to. The market rejected it. And this was in 1928.

Last edited:
Good points, 853guy.

Science is used to vaunt the newer technologies as superior, but mostly it's marketing. And whatever gains are found, almost no-one asks whether in the process of progress we've lost something along the way.

I see you've been reading up on Meridian's Bob Stuart and his new MQA hi-rez format. :eek:

Good points, 853guy.

I see you've been reading up on Meridian's Bob Stuart and his new MQA hi-rez format. :eek:

Honestly, I'm pretty ignorant of it (apart from what I've gleaned on this forum) and mostly indifferent to it.

I used to say that Julian Vereker's (Naim Audio) greatest achievement wasn't to create a system that claimed to be the very best, but a group of people who fervently did that for him.

I have quite a bit of respect for Bob Stuart. Maybe MQA is the miracle it says it is. One of the first high-end systems I ever heard was the 208 (or 206?) with a pair of their active M20's. If Meridian's ability to engage me as a listener was commensurate with their ability to impress me by their industrial design, maybe then I'd be curious.

Last edited:
(...) One really good investment with lots of return for the money was also a beautiful (WAF through the roof!) natural-fiber carpet (wool) from the local carpet store for the space behind my speakers, size 9 x 12 feet. Cost: 500 dollars.

I will suggest putting a 11mm thick (1.4kg/square meter) felt underlay under your carpet (advice taken from F. Toole "Sound Reproduction" book). I did it recently and the result was impressive. A less that 100 euro investment with a great return!

What is a felt underlay, can you post a picture? Also, does this work as effectively if you put a thick rug or a Persian rug on top?

I have a thick wool carpet with some sort of rubber type underlay

What is a felt underlay, can you post a picture? Also, does this work as effectively if you put a thick rug or a Persian rug on top?

Rubber is a forbidden material for in acoustic underlays - you want something thick to absorb a wide bandwidth - the air must go through it! I used a cotton/fiber, but if I lived in the UK I would use this one - it looks great and closer to the one specified by Toole: http://www.underlay4u.co.uk/carpet-underlays/lion-50-carpet-felt-underlay.html

I will suggest putting a 11mm thick (1.4kg/square meter) felt underlay under your carpet (advice taken from F. Toole "Sound Reproduction" book). I did it recently and the result was impressive. A less that 100 euro investment with a great return!

I tried just that (80 dollar investment) but it did not work in my room. It made images even more artificially recessed than they were before the ASC window plugs remedied the situation. Yet I agree that the effect may be pronounced, and it may be very beneficial in some rooms, like apparently in yours -- every room is different.

http://www.acoustic.ua/st/web_absorption_data_eng.pdf

Pretty good at high frequencies, but by 125Hz...
Keith.

That is also true of a lot of very popular big traps and other passive treatments sold to audiophiles, if you check their measurements. On the other hand, if you measure most typical rooms, the really big departures from frequency linearity are below 100Hz. 5, 10, 15, 20 dB narrow band frequency swings are not uncommon in the deep bass, as I can confirm from measurements in a number of rooms. Yet even many very famous brands of treatments are poor at addressing the issue, in spite of their reputation.

I do not really think you "solve" your room acoustics problems at all unless you measure carefully and knowledgably. Doing it by ear alone is impossible because of the many variables in combination with each other. Fortunately, in the last decade good, inexpensive measurement capabilities now exist with a $100 microphone and a PC. See Amir's thread on the REW freeware.

Yes, every room is different and needs a custom solution. Measurement is the key to the adaptation of any solution to the specifics of your room.

That is also true of a lot of very popular big traps and other passive treatments sold to audiophiles, if you check their measurements. On the other hand, if you measure most typical rooms, the really big departures from frequency linearity are below 100Hz. 5, 10, 15, 20 dB narrow band frequency swings are not uncommon in the deep bass, as I can confirm from measurements in a number of rooms. Yet even many very famous brands of treatments are poor at addressing the issue, in spite of their reputation.

I do not really think you "solve" your room acoustics problems at all unless you measure carefully and knowledgably. Doing it by ear alone is impossible because of the many variables in combination with each other. Fortunately, in the last decade good, inexpensive measurement capabilities now exist with a $100 microphone and a PC. See Amir's thread on the REW freeware.

The problems are not just frequency linearity, but reflections, delay times etc. My ASC room treatments hardly did anything to change the tonal balance (except mid-bass for the window plugs), but they were tremendously efficient in raising spatial and timbral resolution. Plate resonances from glass windows may not much influence frequency response but they have everything to do with sonic blurring and masking which decreases timbral resolution. After insertion of the window plugs, timbral resolution increased dramatically.

A frequency plot of a room is useful, but it gives you really limited information about what's going on with the sound in your room.

Also, digital EQ can be useful, no doubt, but it cannot remedy all problems. Glass plate resonances are among those things that cannot be corrected away with digital EQ.

That is also true of a lot of very popular big traps and other passive treatments sold to audiophiles, if you check their measurements. On the other hand, if you measure most typical rooms, the really big departures from frequency linearity are below 100Hz.

ASC plans to come out this fall with a 'super-trap' that addresses low frequencies.

Felt won't work if you have a wood or stone floor, your rug will slip al over the floor. The usual thin rubber underlay used to keep the rug in place has no sonic effect, they're talking about the padding for wall to wall carpets.

david

...it is recording dependent but soundstage can be vivid ,almost real.

Would love to see measurements to back that statement up.

Love and hugs always and forever,

853guy

My whole point was that science isn't enough, even when money is abundant. While the science of acoustics seems to be more accessible these days, the art and knowledge side is disappearing. I've dealt with a quite a few Rives and Rives style rooms in the past, all pseudo science and no art. Every time we ended up ripping out 80%-100% of all their installations and had to start over again. They might work for HT but they're not for music reproduction. Even Mike L. continues to dig out more and more of his room. I can't comment on your setup but for me, I haven't found a silver bullet. Every installation has its own nuances and complications and because construction is expensive, messy & without any guarantees, its a tough pill to swallow by most, so we end up doing partial work, just enough for the client to be able to sit back, relax and forget about audio.

david

David - I hear you, and let's note that Rives is out of business, though they once enjoyed something of a reputation. I do not see how they could have been effective in most cases via remote review of drawings and measurements - a main part of their practice - and never setting foot in the room itself unless large fees were paid. I do not think they were an example of "best practices" in room acoustics. Perhaps it was largely pseudo science. So, their failure is not an indicator of the failure of the science itself, rather of the specific misapplication of it.

As I keep saying, and as Mike L.'s thread makes clear and you confirm, the whole room treatment approach is fraught with pitfalls, many expensive. You do not really know what you are going to get until it is done after considerable effort. Room acoustics is very complex. But, I disagree with you in that I think not more art but better science, mainly through better measurement, is the way to get a better result. The art comes into play in the interpretation of the results and the design and tweaking of the solutions.

Call me an instant gratification guy, but this is one reason I prefer the DSP EQ route over passive treatments. Possibly, it cannot yield at best as perfect a solution. Possibly, it can yield a better one. Who knows? But, it is entirely measurements based and designed for DIY installation and calibration using sophisticated, built in acoustic science. Learning is generally fairly easy, and within a day or less, you know how it sounds. You can flick it on and off, tweak the target curve, recalibrate easily, and just listen. Send it back if you do not like it.

My ears have told me that it provides a major and very worthwhile improvement for music listening. My friends agree on their systems, as does Kal Rubinson at Stereophile, who has reviewed many such systems, or Robert E. Greene at TAS. We all consider it indispensable. Is it perfect? Probably not, nothing is. But, as they say in Washington, you do not want the perfect to be the enemy of the good.

David, I'm not going to presume we're in agreement on much of anything here but I appreciate your forthrightness. It's interesting as it seems to me that the more some (not all) rely on "science", the more some (not all) are so willing or so quick to check their brain off at the door so-to-speak and just "leave it to science." If that is a point you were trying to make, I couldn't agree more.

That and I see the word "science" thrown about like a magic potion of sorts without any understanding of the subject at hand. The best acoustician I met works for a very large international construction company with tens of thousands of employees. You can just imagine how many engineers and scientists they employ. Their expertise is large projects, refineries, dams, bridges, hotels, stadiums, concert halls, large performance spaces and many more. The company has its own mathematical model (the science part) that they use for these installations but they only have this one man (the scientist artist) to interpret the model and come up with the construction specs for them. Its not the actual science which is the problem, its the foundation and/or the tool, the difference is the man/woman using it. I guess what your quotes say...

Both quotes contain tremendous truths. I just don't understand why so many think such pertinent quotes only apply to people in other galaxies.

david

It is clever stuff, Illusonic can also up mix two channel stereo into multi channel, using the same algorithms, direct,reflected and ambient sound, as well as playing native multi channel recordings.
Immersive processing already exists in the cinema, next step here is to introduce a centre channel and then maybe five way.
Keith.

What - no hug?

David - I hear you, and let's note that Rives is out of business, though they once enjoyed something of a reputation. I do not see how they could have been effective in most cases via remote review of drawings and measurements - a main part of their practice - and never setting foot in the room itself unless large fees were paid. I do not think they were an example of "best practices" in room acoustics. Perhaps it was largely pseudo science. So, their failure is not an indicator of the failure of the science itself, rather of the specific misapplication of it.

As I keep saying, and as Mike L.'s thread makes clear and you confirm, the whole room treatment approach is fraught with pitfalls, many expensive. You do not really know what you are going to get until it is done after considerable effort. Room acoustics is very complex. But, I disagree with you in that I think not more art but better science, mainly through better measurement, is the way to get a better result. The art comes into play in the interpretation of the results and the design and tweaking of the solutions.

Call me an instant gratification guy, but this is one reason I prefer the DSP EQ route over passive treatments. Possibly, it cannot yield at best as perfect a solution. Possibly, it can yield a better one. Who knows? But, it is entirely measurements based and designed for DIY installation and calibration using sophisticated, built in acoustic science. Learning is generally fairly easy, and within a day or less, you know how it sounds. You can flick it on and off, tweak the target curve, recalibrate easily, and just listen. Send it back if you do not like it.

My ears have told me that it provides a major and very worthwhile improvement for music listening. My friends agree on their systems, as does Kal Rubinson at Stereophile, who has reviewed many such systems, or Robert E. Greene at TAS. We all consider it indispensable. Is it perfect? Probably not, nothing is. But, as they say in Washington, you do not want the perfect to be the enemy of the good.

Fitz, there are others like Rives, they have models they use and the rooms I tore out measured very well, they got the job done in that respect. I don't know why they're out of business but if I had to speculate I'd say because of their business model. Acoustics isn't a pure science, that's why the outcome isn't guaranteed. A lot of what you end up with has do with the person using the available science to create the art. You say we need better science and I say we need better artists, look at what was built centuries ago without measuring tools, we're still dumbfounded with spaces like the Colosseum. There's plenty of science, its the man and the experience which we lack today.

I have nothing against digital Eq its a tool and has its place, if it works for you great I have no objections. Its effectiveness is situation dependent and what kind of problems you're trying to tackle.

david

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu