Audio Science: Does it explain everything about how something sounds?

Status
Not open for further replies.
(...)

That is what we buy as consumers. But no, that does not mean in any way or shape that if our equipment achieves nirvana, it somehow remotely matches what was heard in a live session. We are hearing a completely different presentation of the original art.

I was showing the frequency response of two loudspeakers: one that is a top brand in professional music production circles (Genelec) and one in consumer (Wilson). When fed the identical signal, both reproduce wildly different tonal response. That tonal response is a linear transformation that everyone, no matter how critical their hearing, can hear and differentiate. No way would the sound heard by the Genelec speaker be the same if you replaced it in the same production room with the Wilson. Therefore we have already radically changed what we hear versus what the talent heard. So no way can we say that we are replicating the "live" experience if in this case we forgive and forget the recording process that led to the final stereo mix.

In other words, there are two major barriers to us claiming that we are approximating the live experience. The first one is that no one attempted, nor is it possible to capture a live session with 100% transparency into two loudspeakers. And two, that the production and playback chains have no standards that would make the sound the same. These combined mean that no way, no how do you ever, no matter how good you think your system is, are hearing anything like what was heard either in the live recording session, or what final stereo production.

One could get the idea that the frequency response is the most important part of the art ... IMHO there are many other factors of stereo system performance, that are not completely understood that have more importance than a few dB in frequency response in the transmission of the message of the "art".

IMHO approximating the live experience should not mean equating it. It means reproducing enough of our perception of the event to make us forget those aspects who could make us feel we are just listening to a sound reproduction and create an emotion similar to that created by the original event.

Also IMHO realistic reproduction of some aspects of real music is needed to achieve this goal. It is why most of us use their live experience as a reference for their evaluations and need poetry to explain to others what we perceive. From Wikipedia : Poetry is a form of literature that uses aesthetic and rhythmic qualities of language. It is why I consider a compliment when people refer to audiophile jargon as poetry - most of the time audiophiles want to express the aesthetic and rhythmic aspects of the sound reproduction.

Last edited:
(...) As for me, sometimes I hear improvements, other times not. I like it when science provides an explanation to why I heard an improvement, and I get frustrated that science does a poor job identifying, for example, why one set of cables sounds different from another. And even if I hear an improvement, if the mfg throws out things like "quantum coherance" I immediately rule out his products because of lack of understanding on my part, or my bullshit antenna start quivering uncontrollably because the mfg is using techno-babbel to convince me.

Bob,
Science will not help with your excellent equipment, it is too performing to be explained scientifically. Fortunately it should sound great and you will quickly forget the frequent frustrations! BTW, all manufacturers use some techno-babbel in marketing, even the "scientific" ones.

Not to split hairs or go down unnecessary rabbit holes, but does a noise add to or in any way alter the original signal? If so, then by definition it could it not be classified as a distortion? I mean we are talking about "hi-fi" or high-fidelity here, right?
Well technically noise does not alter the original signal (or even test tone), but context is important and we are talking white noise and this is uncorrelated whether analogue or digital.
Even down close to the noise floor you can differentiate between noise (which in context of audio is white noise) and music as they have different structure when analysed as a histogram of the Probability Density Function.
Where we do see harmonics or spurs associated with harmonics that can add to the signal, these tend to be a specific type of distortion whether seen in jitter/IMD/etc.

Just to emphasise I do agree noise does influence our perception for good or bad when listening to music; classic example looks to be USB media server-player vs MacBook and both using average-to-good DACs where it has been shown in a recent review the Melco N1A (one product example) improved the noise floor output and the reviewer also felt there was an improvement in SQ over the USB-MacBook setup.
Here the noise would not necessarily be identified as such due to it being low in the first place.

Cheers
Orb

One could get the idea that the frequency response is the most important part of the art ... IMHO there are many other factors of stereo system performance, that are not completely understood that have more importance than a few dB in frequency response in the transmission of the message of the "art".
So you have changes you think are larger than swapping one loudspeaker with another and can show some kind of proof point for it?

"How something sounds": how can this be measured? The world "out there" is not entirely independent of our experience of it, nor is music like a rock about whose properties we all pretty much agree.

One thing i know for sure: with more money, time, experience, different priorities, and a less rigid system of thinking based on my heretofore-limited experience, I could eventually build a sound system more agreeable to my head and my heart. It would undoubtedly measure better than what i have, now, and 99/100 people would surely agree it sounded "better", too.

So you have changes you think are larger than swapping one loudspeaker with another and can show some kind of proof point for it?

I think that I can not please the bitterness of your permanent demand for proofs. "Changes you think are larger than" is a subjective and mainly qualitative appreciation, so unless I can get a PET scanner and the needed radioactive tracer, and my friends consent on being injected through the vein every time we listen to systems, I doubt we can debate anything.

But yes, I think it. I have hosted many speakers during the last five years from several brands, but the larger subjective changes in the sound of my system were mainly due to source and electronics. Some examples - the Mark Levinson ML30 and the Forsell CD transports, the first digital components that could make digital sound great. The Audio Research CD7 CD player, that inserted in an all Audio Research system with appropriate cables could sound "non-digital". And finally the Metronome Calypso / DAC system, that has been nicknamed by my friends as "the cheater", because every time it is being used the system sounds in another level.

I have been listening very happily mostly to speakers I have owned since two decades - I think I would not be so happy listening to digital components or electronics of that period.

These combined mean that no way, no how do you ever, no matter how good you think your system is, are hearing anything like what was heard either in the live recording session, or what final stereo production.

"...no way, no how do you ever...(hear) anything like what was heard...in the live recording session...." If this is in fact what you mean in your concluding sentence, than I completely disagree with you.

Of course we are hearing something that is "like" what was heard in the live recording session. They are certainly not identical, but they are clearly similar or "like" each other. When one answers the phone, is he hearing a voice "like" his mother's? He certainly is, or he would think it was someone else calling. If the situation was as dire as you describe, we would not know what we were buying when we see a record of Miles Davis' Kind of Blue in the store bin. No one who has heard Ella Fitzgerald perform suddenly thinks he is listening to a recording of Shirley Horn singing. A recording of a violin sounds "like" a violin. It is not usually mistaken for a cello or viola, a cat, or a bulldozer.

Good recordings played through good systems do in fact sound similar, though not identical, to the original performance and to the original recording. How similar is the question, and what can be done to make it sound more similar is what this is all about, though fidelity to the source recording, or similarity to the live performance, is an interesting distinction and area of discussion.

Your statement would have us believe that we could not recognize what it is we are listening to. Sure there is room for much improvement, but the current condition is just not as bleak as you suggest.

I think that I can not please the bitterness of your permanent demand for proofs. "Changes you think are larger than" is a subjective and mainly qualitative appreciation, so unless I can get a PET scanner and the needed radioactive tracer, and my friends consent on being injected through the vein every time we listen to systems, I doubt we can debate anything.
That is the problem, isn't? I can take 10 people off the street, and do an AB test with the frequency response changed by a few db and have every one of them tell the difference. For your part, I have to do a PET scan to determine what you say is even more important than frequency response variations? How the heck can something be more important as you said, when its determination is so impossibly hard?

But yes, I think it. I have hosted many speakers during the last five years from several brands, but the larger subjective changes in the sound of my system were mainly due to source and electronics. Some examples - the Mark Levinson ML30 and the Forsell CD transports, the first digital components that could make digital sound great. The Audio Research CD7 CD player, that inserted in an all Audio Research system with appropriate cables could sound "non-digital". And finally the Metronome Calypso / DAC system, that has been nicknamed by my friends as "the cheater", because every time it is being used the system sounds in another level.
I can AB test two loudspeakers blindly, using subjectivists that absolutely don't believe in blind tests, and have them still say they sound different in such a test. Can you accomplish the same in your above comparisons? Or is a PET scanner necessary and what you thought you heard, cannot be replicated in a controlled test?

"...no way, no how do you ever...(hear) anything like what was heard...in the live recording session...." If this is in fact what you mean in your concluding sentence, than I completely disagree with you.

Of course we are hearing something that is "like" what was heard in the live recording session. They are certainly not identical, but they are clearly similar or "like" each other. When one answers the phone, is he hearing a voice "like" his mother's? He certainly is, or he would think it was someone else calling. If the situation was as dire as you describe, we would not know what we were buying when we see a record of Miles Davis' Kind of Blue in the store bin. No one who has heard Ella Fitzgerald perform suddenly thinks he is listening to a recording of Shirley Horn singing. A recording of a violin sounds "like" a violin. It is not usually mistaken for a cello or viola, a cat, or a bulldozer.

Good recordings played through good systems do in fact sound similar, though not identical, to the original performance and to the original recording. How similar is the question, and what can be done to make it sound more similar is what this is all about, though fidelity to the source recording, or similarity to the live performance, is an interesting distinction and area of discussion.

Your statement would have us believe that we could not recognize what it is we are listening to. Sure there is room for much improvement, but the current condition is just not as bleak as you suggest.
I don't know why we are having such serious issue in communicating. I said this earlier in response to you Peter:

Our brain is quite creative fortunately. You can hear a guitar on a clock radio and the brain instantly knows it is a guitar. You almost can't degrade the audio enough for the brain to fail to do that.
Why are you repeating my argument but saying it is a disagreement with my view??? Of course we are able to reproduce sound going back to the invention of phonograph that lets the brain recognize it is hearing the instruments and voices. That is not in question because as I said and you repeat, any system almost regardless of fidelity can do that.

The issue at hand is not that. It is the claim that somehow someone captured a 3-dimensional experience of a live production and teleported you to that place using your system. I have explained all the technical reasons why that is impossible. And no, your "good systems" are not alike. Each one sounds wildly different due to use of different loudspeakers and rooms. If they all sounded similar, you all would close your eyes and pick your loudspeaker blind. But the reality is completely opposite with hundreds of brands of loudspeakers, each with their entirely different tonal character. How could each person be equally right in saying such a high-end loudspeaker gets them closer to the live sound???

Guys, we are clinging to a marketing strategy as old as audio reproduction. We have to be on the side of consumers, not manufacturers propagating this myth. The vocabulary you want to use is that your system sounds "great." Not that it sounds "live." Why is this so hard to do?

Amir has given us his definition of audio science. Perhaps we could also read Tim's or any one else's. I started this thread assuming, or taking for granted, that this was a clearly defined term about which everyone agrees. Now I am not so sure.

If there is a general consensus on the meaning of the term, then we can use it and move forward to discuss what it tells us about what we hear. If there is no such general consensus, or if the term is vague at best, as someone up thread wrote, then where do we go from here, if we can not even agree on the topic of the thread?

How about this: Audio Science is the pursuit to better understand how audio equipment corresponds to what we hear when attempting to reproduce a musical event. It consists of collecting data, taking measurements and conducting listening tests.

I'm sure this definition is incomplete, or even hopelessly wrong. But it is an attempt to get the conversation started so that we know what it is that we are trying to discuss. Could those who have a better understanding of what the term means explain it to me and to those others who may also be a bit confused?

I took a short vacation and this thread jumped forward by 10 pages, so this may not even be the conversation anymore. You asked for my input, though, so I'll give it to you, Peter:

I think audio science is the discovery and use of objective data and its relationship to listening. The best example of discovery in these forums is, I believe, is the Toole/Olive speaker studies. Use? The comparison of measurements with sound, that I expect and hope is used by all competent engineers in the design of audio products. Unfortunately they don't share most of these measurements, because most of them don't have a chance of living up to what many audiophiles are happy to imagine, and products are sold to the right side of the brain, not the left. But surely design engineers must use measurements and listening comparisons. Otherwise, they would all be floundering about in the dark, and being quite unprofessional in the process.

Tim

That is the problem, isn't? I can take 10 people off the street, and do an AB test with the frequency response changed by a few db and have every one of them tell the difference. For your part, I have to do a PET scan to determine what you say is even more important than frequency response variations? How the heck can something be more important as you said, when its determination is so impossibly hard?

I can AB test two loudspeakers blindly, using subjectivists that absolutely don't believe in blind tests, and have them still say they sound different in such a test. Can you accomplish the same in your above comparisons? Or is a PET scanner necessary and what you thought you heard, cannot be replicated in a controlled test?

Comparing easiness and reliability of detection with subjective importance is like comparing apples with oranges.

BTW1 we all know since long that your "AB" will not detect most small differences responsible for excellent subjective quality in stereo, but is a good tool for detecting significant frequency response differences.

BTW2 The PET scans would only be needed for those who need a PROOF. Most of us believe in our ears and our capability of listening.

I don't know why we are having such serious issue in communicating. I said this earlier in response to you Peter:

Why are you repeating my argument but saying it is a disagreement with my view??? Of course we are able to reproduce sound going back to the invention of phonograph that lets the brain recognize it is hearing the instruments and voices. That is not in question because as I said and you repeat, any system almost regardless of fidelity can do that.

Here is why we are having such a serious issue in communicating:

You wrote this: "These combined mean that no way, no how do you ever, no matter how good you think your system is, are hearing anything like what was heard either in the live recording session, or what final stereo production."

Then you wrote this: "Of course we are able to reproduce sound going back to the invention of phonograph that lets the brain recognize it is hearing the instruments and voices. That is not in question because as I said and you repeat, any system almost regardless of fidelity can do that."

Either our stereos can reproduce a musical event to sound "like" the original, or they can not.

I think they can. Not identical, but similar. You seem to agree in your second statement above. But this directly contradicts what you wrote in your first statement above.

You then write about me claiming some 3D experience and teleporting someone to someplace or some garbage. And then some comment about "good systems". I don't even know why you bring this stuff up. I never made such claims.

(...) Guys, we are clinging to a marketing strategy as old as audio reproduction. We have to be on the side of consumers, not manufacturers propagating this myth. The vocabulary you want to use is that your system sounds "great." Not that it sounds "live." Why is this so hard to do?

No, it sounds great and in some relevant aspects, it manages to sound live. Why do you find it so hard to accept?

Comparing easiness and reliability of detection with subjective importance is like comparing apples with oranges.
Oh? You are so sure one type of improvement is more important than the other but you have no way of showing it with similar ease? How could it then be more important if the difference doesn't appear to you remotely the same when you don't know the identity of said improvement?

BTW1 we all know since long that your "AB" will not detect most small differences responsible for excellent subjective quality in stereo, but is a good tool for detecting significant frequency response differences.
"We all" don't remotely know that. That is your belief. Don't put it at the feet of rest of us please.

BTW2 The PET scans would only be needed for those who need a PROOF. Most of us believe in our ears and our capability of listening.
You can believe what you want. But if you are going to challenge something that I said, you need to come up with some demonstration of your belief that is separate than just taking what you say at face value. Just post your beliefs without responding to me and all would be well. But if you challenge me, then you need to be prepared to back up what you said. Otherwise I can just as well claim you are all wrong and you better take my word for it.

You are arguing a very different point. The debate is whether what we hear at home can approach what one would have heard in the real venue.

Actually, I thought the debate was whether or not “audio science” explains everything we hear.

It is not whether elements "survive" the transformation through production of finished music. Of course elements do that. A female singer doesn't become a male singer in the process :).

You obviously haven’t heard Cher sing in past 15 years. ;)

The question is if I magically did an A/B between you sitting in the live presentation and through a stereo system, would they be indistinguishable. The answer is that you can't remotely, in a million years, achieve that with a stereo system with music as is produced today.

Amir, it doesn’t sound like you to not quantify any part of your question here. Nor your answer.

For example, a stereo system ranges anywhere from $20 to perhaps $3M.

Indistinguishable by you? Do you have well-trained ears? I’m not trying to put you on the defensive but having ears to hear should be a very important qualification to your argument here. For example, I once had a reviewer from out of state visit, didn’t bring his own music, to my surprise told me during his audition what he heard on my system was very much like what he heard on his. Only to receive an email from him several days later saying after listening more intently to his system, he now realized there was gobs more detail in mine. But the point being was his ears were untrained enough that he could not make the distinction at the time when it was needed. And this reviewer writes for a well-respected mag.

You also insinuate an awareness of all technological advancements available today as well as a million years down the road. I realize the million years is hyperbola to stress your point, but I would attest not only can you not tell what may come along next year, you haven’t even investigated every technology already discovered today that may prove your statement, not necessarily wrong, but at least inaccurate to a very good degree.

No microphone captures the room. Music is mixed, EQed, transformed, etc. To say nothing of the fact that tonally you have no idea how close your system is to the original one that was used in the production of music that the talent heard.

Rooms don’t generate a sound on their own. But music interacting with a room’s acoustics and boundaries certainly do and I would attest that much of this sound (ambient info) is already embedded in the vast majority of recordings available even though the vast majority of this ambient info remains inaudible below the noise floor.

I’m guessing it’s impossible for anybody to prove that ALL the ambient info made it to a given recording, but I can demonstrate that there exists far greater volumes of ambient info than anybody ever thought possible in virtually every recording.

This is the concept that we need to understand and forever put behind us the #1 marketing technique used to sell us audio gear, dating back to the days of Edison claiming the same "live" music reproduction.

Couldn’t agree more. However, it’s never wise to throw the baby out with the bathwater. Time and technology does not stand still. Furthermore, those who desire to pursue excellent with a passion must always be on guard developing the ability to discern a staff or two of wheat from the volumes of chaff.

That is what we buy as consumers. But no, that does not mean in any way or shape that if our equipment achieves nirvana, it somehow remotely matches what was heard in a live session. We are hearing a completely different presentation of the original art.

I’d agree in general, especially with where the industry stands today. But again, you can’t make such a blanket statement and maintain credibility unless you’ve been exposed to every technological advancement already made and you haven't.

It’s come up a time or two about comparing high-resolution digital photography and the awesome images that technology is able to capture of a live event to reproduced music and its ability to capture a live event. Now I really know nothing about photography but I do know it has the ability to an outstanding job of capturing a live event and I also know that photography has one very serious limitation that audio reproduction does not. That serious limitation is photography cannot exceed 2 dimensions. Whereas, even though many playback systems sound very flat and 2-D, audio reproduction somehow is able to produce a very 3-dimensional representation that I suspect very much reflects recording mic placement.

I was showing the frequency response of two loudspeakers: one that is a top brand in professional music production circles (Genelec) and one in consumer (Wilson). When fed the identical signal, both reproduce wildly different tonal response. That tonal response is a linear transformation that everyone, no matter how critical their hearing, can hear and differentiate. No way would the sound heard by the Genelec speaker be the same if you replaced it in the same production room with the Wilson. Therefore we have already radically changed what we hear versus what the talent heard. So no way can we say that we are replicating the "live" experience if in this case we forgive and forget the recording process that led to the final stereo mix.

This has to be taken in consideration with your other unqualified comments. The words reasonable and due diligence come to mind.

For example, might anybody with ears to hear use Genelec speakers to perform a magical A/B comparison between a live performance and you listening to a “stereo” system? Come to think of it, there are enough historic threads out there showing some question whether or not Wilson speakers are way off the mark also (not saying me).

But another perhaps more important point as you dissect each leaf of the trees from the forest of a music reproduction. Is it not possible that given today’s digital photography, (or maybe going back to the digital technology available 10 years ago) that science-minded types might microscopically dissect a digital image of a forest for it’s hues, shadows, light, colors, detail, square pixels, and conclude there is no way with all these imperfections and inaccuracies that digital camera technology has the ability to present a reasonably accurate image of this forest?

In other words, there are two major barriers to us claiming that we are approximating the live experience. The first one is that no one attempted, nor is it possible to capture a live session with 100% transparency into two loudspeakers.

Speaking theoretically, is it ever possible for one to exactly counterfeit an original?

And two, that the production and playback chains have no standards that would make the sound the same.

Agreed. But you just might be amazed at what you’re able to perceive from reproduced music once a noise floor has been greatly lowered.

These combined mean that no way, no how do you ever, no matter how good you think your system is, are hearing anything like what was heard either in the live recording session, or what final stereo production.

I’m well aware where the industry stands today from a performance perspective (it ain't pretty) and I think my numerous posts refuting Meridian’s outrageous (impossible) performance claims about the new MQA format demonstrate that.

In fact, if I didn’t know better, I’d swear you’ve been implying here that there must exist at least one very serious performance-limiting governor attached to every last playback system regardless of price, quality, or how well-thought-out it may be. If that’s what you are essentially saying, well, I could agree more as I’ve been making that very statement for several years now.

Nevertheless, you seem awfully confident in your numerous claims here about what cannot be accomplished by any playback system. Per chance, are you a betting man?

At what point do you trust that your ears are telling you the truth because you say that you must listen long term to hear the subjective differences that short term listening does not reveal. At what point in time do your ears now tell you the truth...after a week, month, ? How do you know that they are now telling you the truth?

I only ask because you are a very vocal advocate of trusting your ears.
Microstrip is also very advocate of science, this question goes way off tangent to his context IMO.
Cheers
Orb

No, it sounds great and in some relevant aspects, it manages to sound live. Why do you find it so hard to accept?
For the same reason I don't believe in UFOs no matter how much the person insists he has been visited by the same. :D

I used to believe in the live thing until someone explained it to me as I have been doing and I quickly saw the logic and wisdom in it and changed my mind. So I am here to do the same thing for benefit others reading these threads. That's why.

UFOs exist, and I know they do because my wife has thrown them at me in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu