Avantgarde Horn Speakers

jatindersangha

Aug 25, 2020
Hear here: That's now a much better looking Duo XD...and a smaller footprint to boot!

Hear Here

Feb 14, 2020
Portsmouth, UK
Hear here: That's now a much better looking Duo XD...and a smaller footprint to boot!
Thanks Jatinder and thanks for your PM. I've replied with more details. I'm very pleased with the results of my minor mods, both with my old Duos with mid and top horns and with the new XDs with mid horn only. Both systems appear more slim and less cluttered with the rather unsightly scaffolding that rather spoils the Uno's and Duo's looks

Peter

G T Audio

I have probably got a lot of the original ones that were produced in the late 1990s early 2000s which were also very nicely done.

Reactions: remdeck

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
I received the new brochure from Avantgarde Acoustic yesterday
Will read through it this weekend

View attachment 86511
Great stuff mate!
In fact, if I'm correct that photo on the front cover, is one of the AG Trio's. The tweeter horn could be adjusted on rails which was manufactured into a bow shape... the last Trio system that I listened to which had this was the Trio Omega system. Just wondering which model this is on the front cover. Any idea?
Enjoy the read, have a good one
Best, RJ

Reactions: remdeck

remdeck

Apr 10, 2018
Great stuff mate!
In fact, if I'm correct that photo on the front cover, is one of the AG Trio's. The tweeter horn could be adjusted on rails which was manufactured into a bow shape... the last Trio system that I listened to which had this was the Trio Omega system. Just wondering which model this is on the front cover. Any idea?
Enjoy the read, have a good one
Best, RJ
The brochure is actually only about the new G3 series, going into the details of all the new innovations in the new Trio G3.
It almost sounds like they will bring most of these new parts in the smaller speakers also in the future.
All chassis are new designs. The tweeter is a complete new design with another hornlength and rails to get it time aligned. For the first time all chassis are now time aligned.
The iTron amps are optional, even as streaming services and wireless programming.
I did not come to reading about the new bass design and what is actually different in the iTron amps. Can come back to that later.

The G3 series is really a very big innovation. Really curious how these sound....

Last edited:

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Ah! So it's the new Trio G3 series, that must be something else! Especially with the new materials & tech plus time aligned horn drivers. Yes, that would certainly represent a finer level in playback. Excellent stuff, keep us posted on your findings. I'm sure you will find it very interesting.
Cheers, RJ

Hear Here

Feb 14, 2020
Portsmouth, UK
Ah! So it's the new Trio G3 series, that must be something else! Especially with the new materials & tech plus time aligned horn drivers. Yes, that would certainly represent a finer level in playback. Excellent stuff, keep us posted on your findings. I'm sure you will find it very interesting.
Cheers, RJ
Not sure why this new brochure isn't on their website yet. I guess the Duo will be the next to go G3 as it's the "oldest" model (apart from inclusion of XD DSP) in the AG range, and then perhaps the Uno. The Zero is already active. Has anyone heard the Zero by the way?

remdeck

Apr 10, 2018
Read some more :

The iTron amp is a "current amp" of completely new design. (patent pending)
Its not something like the Quad "Current Dumping" amp.
This is a single ended symmetrical design, without feedback. By driving the voicecoil directly with current, you don't have problems with Back EMF through the inductance of the coil and more linear buildup of the magnetic field than with driving with voltage.
Problem is that the amp must be designed together with the chassis of choice, so the resonances of the chassis will not be problematic for the current amp. The amp is directly connected to the chassis, without any filter. This could really be a game changer as distortion is halved.

The Spacehorn (subwoofer) comes as single drive and twin drive (one or two newly designed bass chassis) Hornlenght is almost 2 meters and the boundaries of wall and floor are an extention of the horn mouth.
The subs are also 5dB more efficient, which helps also. Single and Twin can be combined.

I wrote that the G3 works wireless, which is wrong. Lan connection and PLC connection are possible (PLC = over powercord)
You can use an app to do the streaming( Tidal, Quobuz, Spotify, Roon) , also change the analoge (!) volume control.
Streaming is done through a Velvet Sound Chip with upto 192khz.

The chassis of the G3 look very good and here has been done a incredible job.

As the G3 will come in beginning of 2022, I think that Duo and Uno will follow in 2023.

I've heard the Zero twice, but didn't like them at all. But these speakers made Avantgarde famous, so through these more big systems were sold. They got more attention all over the world, which now makes it possible for them to do immense investments like these.

I don't know why I got this brochure already. Maybe because I was at the first (and only Clubmeeting)

Regards, Remco

MPS

Jun 20, 2016
Finland
Very intersting development, especially with current drive amplification. Already a low distortion system might reach totally new levels.

• Love
Reactions: French Fred

jatindersangha

Aug 25, 2020
Does anyone recognise these speakers?

They appear to be Solo's but are either modified or early prototypes?

I saw them here: https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s...tic-solo-hornlautsprecher/1989048197-172-5075

Thanks,
--Jatinder

Hear Here

Feb 14, 2020
Portsmouth, UK
Solo was Avantgarde's first self-powered speaker. It appears the new Trio will be fully self-powered and doubtless Duos and Unos will follow soon.

Peter

jatindersangha

Aug 25, 2020
Hi Peter,

Yes, I'm fully aware of the solo - I have a set of 4 in my lounge (for surround sound duties).

My point was that the speakers in the picture don't look very much like any other solo I've seen.

This is what my solos look like:

--Jatinder

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne

I saw them here: https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s...tic-solo-hornlautsprecher/1989048197-172-5075

Thanks,
--Jatinder
Hey mate,
Looks like half an engine fallen off the Millennium Falcon...!

Not sure which Solo but Hans Solo would definitely know

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Hi Peter,

Yes, I'm fully aware of the solo - I have a set of 4 in my lounge (for surround sound duties).

My point was that the speakers in the picture don't look very much like any other solo I've seen.

This is what my solos look like:

--Jatinder
Good stuff mate, enjoy!
I remember first auditioning the Solo back in 98/99, it was remarkable! Open, wide soundstage, distortion free and great speed and agility. The chap was running Cary anniversary edition monoblocks to drive them, partnered with an Audio Note preamp. Later on, he upgraded to Duo's and then onto Trio Classico's. I bought his pair of Duo's and the Audio Note preamp, used it for a while with CJ amplifiers, another great match!

The AG gear in Aus is awfully expensive now, the most entry level horns go for around 32grand a pair, and close to half a Mil for the larger horns, That's for the big boys...

Cheers, and do enjoy those fine tunes!
RJ

Bergm@nn

Aug 14, 2021
Question about connection methods to a Duo XD.

At the moment I have connected the Duos from the power amp into the speaker input of the midrange unit, and then from the mid to the bass sub unit using the link leads.

Anyone have experience of connecting the subs direct from pre to the XLR inputs of the Duo's sub units - any sonic advantage to doing this?

Assume you'd need a preamp with two sets of XLR outputs to do this? So one from pre to power and the second from pre to the Duo subs?

Last edited:

Soundelite

Oct 15, 2018
Question about connection methods to a Duo XD.

At the moment I have connected the Duos from the power amp into the speaker input of the midrange unit, and then from the mid to the bass sub unit using the link leads.

Anyone have experience of connecting the subs direct from pre to the XLR inputs of the Duo's sub units - any sonic advantage to doing this?

Assume you'd need a preamp with two sets of XLR outputs to do this? So one from pre to power and the second from pre to the Duo subs?
I have tried both connection method. When you connect the speaker cable to the speakers, you are utilizing part of the power of your power amp and part of the Class D amp built in the speaker to drive the bass unit. If you connect your pre amp to the bass unit through XLR cable, you will fully rely on the internal class D amp of the speaker. It all depends on which amp are you using and which sound signature (your own amp or the built in class D amp) you like better in driving the bass.

G T Audio

I have tried both connection method. When you connect the speaker cable to the speakers, you are utilizing part of the power of your power amp and part of the Class D amp built in the speaker to drive the bass unit. If you connect your pre amp to the bass unit through XLR cable, you will fully rely on the internal class D amp of the speaker. It all depends on which amp are you using and which sound signature (your own amp or the built in class D amp) you like better in driving the bass.
It is not quite so simple as that! When I distributed Avantgarde horns we found the best and most cohesive sound was produced when the connections to the sub came from the high level output from your power amplifier. The subwoofer input at this point is high impedance. Some clients used 2 sets of speaker cables, one set for the Midrange and HF and the other direct to the subwoofer. If you go directly from the low level output from the preamp using the XLR connection, or an RCA to XLR converter if your preamplifier doesn't have a balanced output, you can encounter some timing issues as you are bypassing the amplifier that is driving the midrange and HF drivers.

Note: in the earlier G1 and G2 versions (pre XD) the high level input from your power amplifier (via the sub speaker terminals) is attenuated back to line level as the subwoofer input is high impedance at this point, so it has no power demands on the power amplifier in the subwoofer. I would assume this is still the case for the XD version.

G T Audio

Thanks,
--Jatinder
Yes, that is an early prototype.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing