Bespoke Audio TVC Passive Preamp - An Unassuming Star

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
So. Wonder if i can be controversial. I have been using a new Townshend Allegri reference pre amp with Totaldac drivers. I believe that this betters the Bespoke Audio. Reviews are starting to come out from certain quarters. It will be interesting to see if anyone on this forum with a Bespoke ends up agreeing.
Hello Jaydee,
I do believe that adding Totaldac Drivers to any passive preamps will give them a quantum leap in sonic performance.

Drivers can be added to AVC passive preamps such as Townshend Allegri but they can be added to Bespoke too!

Please read this thread, particularly #108-110 :
https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/totaldac-d1-driver-the-pre-amplifier-driver.29500/

BTW I have no audition experience on the newer Allegri+ and Allegri Reference, but I performed a direct passive preamps shootout a few years ago.
We had Bespoke copper, Allegri, MFA Baby Ref V1 and Ref V2 at that gathering.
The copper Bespoke was the easy champion of that shootout.

IMHO all passive preamp owners should consider adding Totaldac Drivers because the benefits is well-proven.
The only consideration is the extra money and rack space needed to do so.

Reactions: JayDee

hifinutt

Mar 1, 2020
The allegri has always been popular and I know a few who use it , seeing it costs a fraction of the bespoke it is bound to be more well known. The bespoke has a remote , xlr and quite a lovely product.

Reactions: JayDee

hifinutt

Mar 1, 2020
Fascinating that you felt the bespoke was better than the baby ref v2 when the bespoke is basically a v1

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Fascinating that you felt the bespoke was better than the baby ref v2 when the bespoke is basically a v1
At that shootout gathering, the Baby Ref V2 was obviously better than the V1, even the V1 owner had to admit that.

And everybody present at the gathering agreed that the Bespoke Copper was the best of the group.
It excelled in term of musicality yet retaining all the hifi factors of the Baby Ref V2.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
BTW that was the Part 1 of our crazy Passive Preamps Shootout.

The Part 2 was even more interesting.
Will share it on this thread with WBF brothers soon.
:cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: hifinutt

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
I just received a good news : my Silver Bespoke has been back to the HK dealer after the Ultimate Silver Upgrade perfomed by Lucy & Harry in UK.

This is the photo of my Bespoke Ultimate Silver sent to me from Ben, the HK dealer. He said the protective covers of the gold-plated brass cowls should be removed by me the owner :
IMG-20200307-WA0086~2.jpg

And this is the upgraded Bespoke of another owner :
IMG-20200307-WA0087~2.jpg

I shall go to pick mine up on Monday or Tuesday.
Can't wait to let it sing again!
:cool:

JayDee

Feb 4, 2020
Hello Jaydee,
I do believe that adding Totaldac Drivers to any passive preamps will give them a quantum leap in sonic performance.

Drivers can be added to AVC passive preamps such as Townshend Allegri but they can be added to Bespoke too!

Please read this thread, particularly #108-110 :
https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/totaldac-d1-driver-the-pre-amplifier-driver.29500/

BTW I have no audition experience on the newer Allegri+ and Allegri Reference, but I performed a direct passive preamps shootout a few years ago.
We had Bespoke copper, Allegri, MFA Baby Ref V1 and Ref V2 at that gathering.
The copper Bespoke was the easy champion of that shootout.

IMHO all passive preamp owners should consider adding Totaldac Drivers because the benefits is well-proven.
The only consideration is the extra money and rack space needed to do so.
The Bespoke's are works or art for sure. Interesting to hear about the allegri in that test. I never went for the original allegri or allegri +. Of late i have changed a lot though - based around Vincents Drivers - but the Allegri reference is a totally different animal to the previous Allegri iterations. It is As close to being tonally perfect as i have heard. I think you are quite right in your view that a passive and the D1-Drivers seem to be a perfect match though. Thats a lot of pre amp manufactures out of business though.

Reactions: CKKeung

JayDee

Feb 4, 2020
The tone for me. I cant describe it and i have not heard ever version of the bespoke so I accept it is all personal. The Allegri Ref is just so f*#**g natural sounding.

That's not too controversial. The Townshend uses an AVC, the Bespoke a TVC. They do sound different in general. And then core material, winding material, etc. Both should be good, it's just that price doesn't always dictate preference.

What do you find to be "better" about the Townsend?

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
The tone for me. I cant describe it and i have not heard ever version of the bespoke so I accept it is all personal. The Allegri Ref is just so f*#**g natural sounding.
Hello JayDee,
Thanks for informing.
I shall go to audition the Allegri Reference for sure. :)

JayDee

Feb 4, 2020
Hello JayDee,
Thanks for informing.
I shall go to audition the Allegri Reference for sure. :)
Whats interesting to me as that all three of these companies are small / sell direct. Townshend, Bespoke Audio and of course Vincent at Totaldac. It is great that a forum such as this sees past the marketing budgets, and sees that these smaller companies produce some of the best gear on the market. Full marks to ‘whats best’ and to these manufactures!!

Reactions: CKKeung

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
JayDee, can you elaborate on the differences on original Allegri versus the new one? I ask, because my trial of the original in 2012 ranks w my most frustrating and negative experiences ever in this hobby.

JayDee

Feb 4, 2020
JayDee, can you elaborate on the differences on original Allegri versus the new one? I ask, because my trial of the original in 2012 ranks w my most frustrating and negative experiences ever in this hobby.
If you let me know what was frustrating I will let you know if it has changed

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
JD, all the elements were there for a great sound. Transparency and neutrality, w lots of detail resolution. But there was no texture or "oomph". Dynamics were sorely missing, music was just bloodless.

It didn't help that this was in comparison to the Robert Koda K10 pre which pretty much was the exact opposite presentation.

I have heard subsequently that the Allegri was a poor match to my Audion Black Shadow 845 triodes that I was running back then. But how accurate that is I'm not sure because the store I bought the Audions from had a whole range of passive preamps like the Music First and Silvercore, and certainly these were sold to other customers to pair w the Audions. So, why wouldn't the Allegri also work in these circumstances?

Reactions: Audio Quack

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
I just received a good news : my Silver Bespoke has been back to the HK dealer after the Ultimate Silver Upgrade perfomed by Lucy & Harry in UK.

This is the photo of my Bespoke Ultimate Silver sent to me from Ben.
View attachment 62533

I went to pick up my Besopke Ultimate Silver yesterday evening.

Noticed that I had posted the wrong photo on #86!
It was actually the photo of a Bespoke Ultimate Copper of a frd of mine.
o_O

This is my Bespoke Ultimate Silver, with a darker colour veneer but with many "eyes" similarly :

20200309_194458~2.jpg

Harry re-measured the whole preamp after the upgrade and the new charts were in the box. Very thoughtful and meticulous!
:)
IMG-20200309-WA0063~2.jpeg

I had a brief listen at the dealer showroom to make sure everything were OK.
Pairing it up with a Totaldac Six+Reclocker and a pair of Totaldac Drivers xlr version :

20200309_194519~2.jpg

Both Ben Lau, the dealer and I thought that they were heavenly match!
:D

Last edited:

Jpspock

Dec 26, 2018
JD, all the elements were there for a great sound. Transparency and neutrality, w lots of detail resolution. But there was no texture or "oomph". Dynamics were sorely missing, music was just bloodless.

It didn't help that this was in comparison to the Robert Koda K10 pre which pretty much was the exact opposite presentation.

I have heard subsequently that the Allegri was a poor match to my Audion Black Shadow 845 triodes that I was running back then. But how accurate that is I'm not sure because the store I bought the Audions from had a whole range of passive preamps like the Music First and Silvercore, and certainly these were sold to other customers to pair w the Audions. So, why wouldn't the Allegri also work in these circumstances?

what were the source and amp used ?

JayDee

Feb 4, 2020

Ok. You may have the same issues then. Obviously the Koda is a mega pre amp with a price tag to match. The Reference is much much Much better than previous Allegris but if the source struggles to drive it this is where the totaldac Drivers come in. I used the Alegri Ref for 2 months before adding the d1 drivers. I used it with a Totaldac Direct. What i realised straight away was the tone and imaging was spot on. It sounded right. When added the drivers, instead of the music being relaxed and behind the speakers it became relaxed but out of the speakers and in the room.
The real revelation comes when you realise that the driver at €5,800 and the allegri ref at €9,000 are alot cheaper than the K10’s of the world. I have now gone for the mono drivers which are more but i feel they are worth it. If you are used to your music being ‘Alive’ i suspect your issue with the previous passives were that you would need to add something like the D1 Drivers

Reactions: Uk Paul and CKKeung

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
JD, my words were a bit imprecise, sorry. The Allegri was up against my preamps at the time, the Hovland HP-200 ($8k) and Audion Quattro ($12k), I just had the Koda on loan at the same time.

My issue w the original Allegri was highlighted against all these preamps. Remains a real datapoint on my journey at the time. I'm v pleased for you the new Allegri is so positive.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing