best amplifiers

luk71

May 17, 2016
I want to buy mbl 101 mkii. what do you think about combining them with the karan 600 amplifier ?
do you have experiences with mbl speakers combined with other brands? thanks !!!!

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
My favorite amplifiers for MBL 101E Mk. IIs are high-power hybrid amps. I have twice heard Aesthetix Atlas Eclipse monos driving those speakers, and I think the Atlas is a great solution.

I am sure other high-power hybrid amps (like Absolare and Lamm) would work and sound great as well, but Aesthetix offers the greatest value per dollar in this area, I believe.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
MBL 9011 where designed to drive that speaker to perfection, the mid bass is really hard to energize with most amps. I used Krell FPB 700cx before
getting the 9011, though it was good, but 9011 are just in a different
league. Another WBF member uses 2 pairs of Symphonic Line Craft on
his 101’s. Never tried the Karan’s.

luk71

May 17, 2016
MBL 9011 where designed to drive that speaker to perfection, the mid bass is really hard to energize with most amps. I used Krell FPB 700cx before
getting the 9011, though it was good, but 9011 are just in a different
league. Another WBF member uses 2 pairs of Symphonic Line Craft on
his 101’s. Never tried the Karan’s.

Do you use a single 9011 in stereo mode ? Tks

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Do you use a single 9011 in stereo mode ? Tks
A single 9011 and a Krell Fpb 700cx on bass towers.
As stereo amp the 9011 only puts out 2x130 watts, but handles the 101E,s
much better than the (on paper) more powerful Krell. In stereo mode
the tone of the 9011 is sweeter than mono mode. I rarely play over 90db.

caesar

May 30, 2010
Sorry, I did't see this thread before.... The bottom line on amps for MBL is that they need to provide a lot current. Otherwise, they will sound syrupy sound or dead. I don't know about the Karan 600, but they claim to have high current capability.

My test is simple. Play Moby Dick by Led Zeppelin and Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture. If the drums and canon shots are EXPLOSIVE and have great decay (no smearing), you are in business. But if it sounds like some pussy playing or like child pitter patter, move on.

Not sure if you already own the Karan, but an excellent option are the newish Class D monoblocks from the MBL Noble line.

Good Luck!

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
I owned MBL 101 MK2 before. I used to drive them with 9011 monos. But the best sound I got is to drive them with VAC450 monos. Plenty of power and dynamics. I’m not a fan of tube but VAC450 drives 101 much better than 9011!

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
I owned MBL 101 MK2 before. I used to drive them with 9011 monos. But the best sound I got is to drive them with VAC450 monos. Plenty of power and dynamics. I’m not a fan of tube but VAC450 drives 101 much better than 9011!
What was the size of your room when you had MBL 101’s ?

caesar

May 30, 2010
4 amplifiers will always sound better than 2- more transparency , separation, and more explosiveness. This is especially true if you have weaker, lower current amplifiers.

However, if you listen primarily to vocals, a decently powered tube amp will do great - it’s like a stat with better bass and highs. In his review , Peter Breuninger mentioned he even tried a SET. I wouldn’t do that - Peter got lucky, but most will likely blow up their amp!

If you want explosiveness and SET - Type musicality, the symphonic line Krafts are the way to go. Krafts may be the greatest SS amplifiers ever built. They are one of the few amplifiers out there , along with CAT, that make Magico sound musical. But they aren’t marketed well, and most people never heard of them so people are experientially impoverished and think drek like Pass lands is great.

Reactions: p59teitel

engadin

Apr 23, 2022
Someone tried MBL 101 E Mk II with one or two JRDG model 8?

analyzer

VIP/Donor
May 20, 2016
Torino - Italy
Here in Italy there's an audiophile that drives MBL (116 for many years and later he passed to 101E mkII) with Karan KAS-600 and it's very happy with the result. Considering that he has a long experience in listening I suppose that It's almost a perfect match!

caesar

May 30, 2010
Here in Italy there's an audiophile that drives MBL (116 for many years and later he passed to 101E mkII) with Karan KAS-600 and it's very happy with the result. Considering that he has a long experience in listening I suppose that It's almost a perfect match!

When considering amps for MBL, the first thing to consider is can the amplifier deliver GOBS of CURRENT. The Karan model you mention definitely does, looking at the specs.

Once this condition is met and the amp can actually drive the speaker to achieve its full potential, then it just becomes a matter of personal taste. Different amps will impart different sonics flavor, and some will like certain flavors better than other, as with everything else in this hobby.

So this scenario definitely makes sense

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing