Best Bass Demo Albums or Tracks

Mar 11, 2020
Search for Bass Mechanic. Wire the speakers out of phase and place them face to face. You'll only hear the differences and using a mono track will tell you how matched or not they are to each other.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Doesn't matter.
Interesting...i think it is quite an approachable CD soundtrack. We actually play parts of it when lifting that last set in the gym, and we need that heroic music cranked to get us going. It is truly a fun album to listen to.

Nuprin

Jan 9, 2020
NC
I'm sure this has been played at shows but this will rattle the windows if you system goes low enough.

jackelsson

Dec 1, 2013
.de
A bit of electronica and pop comes to mind. Although I'm not sure this can really compete with an actual organ in the deepest bass registers...

The Acid: 'Creeper' from the album 'Liminal'

The-Acid__Creeper__Liminal__500px.jpg

Tony Allen & Jeff-Mills: 'On The Run' from the album 'Tomorrow Comes the Harvest'

Tony-Allen-&-Jeff-Mills__On-The-Run__500px.jpg

Philip Greter: 'Urban' from his album 'Logic Chaos'

Philipp-Greter__Urban__Logic-Chaos__500px.jpg

James Blake: 'Overgrown', title track from the album

James-Blake__Overgrown__500px.jpg

Reactions: analyzer

Nuprin

Jan 9, 2020
NC
And this one can blow up stuff if you play it loud enough. About 55 seconds into the track.

jackelsson

Dec 1, 2013
.de
Some more pop stuff.

Laurie Anderson: 'Transitory Life' from the album 'Homeland'

Laurie-Anderson__Transitory-Life__Homeland__500px.jpg

Brendan Perry: 'Wintersun' from his solo album 'Ark'

Brendan-Perry__Wintersun__Ark__500px.jpg

Post Malone: 'Rockstar'

Post-Malone__Rockstar__500px.jpg

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Yes I suppose one could all go E Power Biggs,Kodo and ilk--but I tend to like the taut electric bass--something like Stanley Clarke School Days/etc:)

YVMV

BruceD

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
my speakers are -3db down at 7hz and -6db down at 3hz (on paper). so i do have the ability to do 10hz-20hz cleanly when it's on a recording. and i use active isolation on my amplifiers, preamps, and one turntable......so i can output low frequencies without the feedback causing havoc.

there is always Dafos, from Micky Hart......it sets the bar very high for vinyl. lot's of crazy low frequency stuff there.

but for digital Harry Connick Jr.----She, CD, track 7, "Joe Slam and the Spaceship"

10hz-15hz content. caution----you can cause stuff to blow at higher SPL's. if your system is up to it, you will feel it in your gut more than hear it.

View attachment 63077

+1000 This is an amazing album beginning to end but is not his best seller because its not out there to be a swooner album, they simply stretching their musical abilities and its the only one I own, its amazing and very well recorded.

Dont forget this one as a break in material. Also one of the most amazing minimalist drum solo that has some excellent kick drum punch. This is not the album version more of the radio version and 95% of the short drum solo is cut out.

I really get excited when this album is discussed, it amazing.

Last edited:

rando

Sep 22, 2019

Reactions: marty and tima

musicfirst1

VIP/Donor
Mar 8, 2015
Canada
www.musicfirstdistribution.ca
my speakers are -3db down at 7hz and -6db down at 3hz (on paper). so i do have the ability to do 10hz-20hz cleanly when it's on a recording. and i use active isolation on my amplifiers, preamps, and one turntable......so i can output low frequencies without the feedback causing havoc.

there is always Dafos, from Micky Hart......it sets the bar very high for vinyl. lot's of crazy low frequency stuff there.

but for digital Harry Connick Jr.----She, CD, track 7, "Joe Slam and the Spaceship"

10hz-15hz content. caution----you can cause stuff to blow at higher SPL's. if your system is up to it, you will feel it in your gut more than hear it.

View attachment 63077
Thanks Mike for the Connick recommendation. Cuious where the subsonics come from? As I hear only an electric bass on track 7.. (not through my system, just on my computer....)

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Thanks Mike for the Connick recommendation. Cuious where the subsonics come from? As I hear only an electric bass on track 7..

you are welcome.

for the first 43 seconds of the cut there are strong pulses of a subsonic synthesizer of deep under 20hz earthquake-like riffs. this is not an electric bass.

then the electric bass comes in. i'd guess many systems would maybe not hear much in those first 43 seconds. these have components under 20hz. felt more than heard. very physical.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
It is probable that many audiophiles have recordings that contain bass energy they have not heard. Bass response is not the sole province of the speaker. It is a system wide effort. I recall my experience.
I recall my experience with DSOM. The better my system the more dramatic the heartbeat. Most impressive was the early Krell.

Reactions: Mark Seaton

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
It is probable that many audiophiles have recordings that contain bass energy they have not heard. Bass response is not the sole province of the speaker. It is a system wide effort. I recall my experience.
I recall my experience with DSOM. The better my system the more dramatic the heartbeat. Most impressive was the early Krell.

musicfirst1

VIP/Donor
Mar 8, 2015
Canada
www.musicfirstdistribution.ca
I'm sure this has been played at shows but this will rattle the windows if you system goes low enough.

Not to hijack my own thread, but does anyone know if the original or reissue of this is the one to get?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Of course the room is an essential part of the supporting cast for for excellent bass.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
For a serious workout and demo of deep bass i always put on “Deeper Well”
from Emmylou Harris’s live Spyboy album. Building intensity of bass guitar and
drums ( played by great musicians) is just phenomenal. If your system can handle it :eek: Regretfully not issued on vinyl yet.

993CC2DE-FAEB-4A6A-A427-67F66BE2815C.jpeg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing