Best contemporary speaker under $100k for Lamm ML2.x type amplifiers?

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
A friend has a pair of the Overture 3B which play rather well, ( not his system) apologies to the OP for the thread drift .

orfeo_monteverdi

Jan 16, 2015
Europe
The [Aries Cerat] Symphonia certainly looks interesting, though likely not of my price range.
[please excuse my bad English]
Then consider auditioning the Stenheim Alumine Three. Designed by an ex-Goldmund team, fully built in Switzerland ($30.000 ?).
Much less expensive than your current loudspeakers, but you could prefer them.

I prefer the Alumine Two (2 ways, monitor) to the mid-treble head of many high-end loudspeakers. I told that to Michael Fremer, who then visited Stenheim's room in Munich with his vinyls to listen to the Alumine Three. But it is The Absolute Sound which caught them first for a review.
I have never heard the Three, so this may seem a bold suggestion, but I am pretty sure they could beguile you (given your tastes). They have indeed a horn touch, crossed with an electrostat quality, and they deliver body and weight if the electronics makes a good match. The midrange's expressivity of the Two's is outstanding. Their global expressiveness is nearly HES. They are flat and do not emphasize treble. But due to the very, very high level of "lifelikeness" and detail I heard with the Two's, maybe it is not advisable generally to listen to Stenheim speakers near or mid-field. Check that point with a dealer (probably not easy to find in the US; they are not distributed in my country). Try to bring your Lamm ("Arf !!!" - yes, I know...). IMHO, Stenheims are a reviewer's dream as they unveil the slightest change made upwards, and let the music naturally flow to the music lover's ears.

The Three is a compact, exceptionally built, and easy to drive loudspeaker that fits into real rooms, with the heart of a large horn system and touches of electrostatic transparency thrown in for good measure. At, or near the top of finest compact loudspeakers available today, and one that joins the small club of products I’d recommend going out of your way to experience. (link to TAS)
NB: the (somewhat weird) red touch around the tweeter is optional, I think.

Spec-wise, with the Stenheim, you would gain in sensitivity and ease of drive (but for your Lamm, the latter point does probably not matter). But you would lose a bit in deep bass.

Keep us posted ;-)

WILSON Alexia 2
Sensitivity 89 dB @ 1 watt @ 1 meter @ 1 kHz
Nominal Impedance 4 ohms / minimum 2.54 ohms @ 85 Hz
Frequency Response 19 Hz – 32 kHz +/- 3 dB Room Average
System Weight Per Channel 260 lbs (117.93 kg)

STENHEIM Alumine Three
Type:
3½-way dynamic loudspeaker
Driver complement: 2x 8? woofers; 1x 5¼” neodymium magnet midrange; 1x 1? neodymium magnet tweeter
Frequency response: 32Hz–35kHz
Sensitivity: 93dB, half space
Nominal impedance: 8 ohms (5 ohms minimum)
SPL max:
115dB
Power handling: 150W RMS, 300W peak
Recommended amplifier: 10W to 200W
Dimensions: 9.8? x 41.3? x 13?
Weight: 154 lbs. each

Last edited:
Reactions: tima

steve59

Jan 7, 2018
Acoustic zen crescendo II

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
You could consider the reproduction Vitavox CN191. They are copies of the speakers I have which are from the late 1950s. I have not heard them and apparently they sound slightly different from what I have, but they are in your budget, they have the same drivers that are in mine, and I think they are 105 dB, 16 ohms. Mine are a perfect match for the Lamm ML2 SET. Here is a recent Mono/Stereo write up: https://www.monoandstereo.com/2019/07/vitavox-cn191-speakers.html?m=1

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
You could consider the reproduction Vitavox CN191. They are copies of the speakers I have which are from the late 1950s. I have not heard them and apparently they sound slightly different from what I have, but they are in your budget, they have the same drivers that are in mine, and I think they are 105 dB, 16 ohms. Mine are a perfect match for the Lamm ML2 SET. Here is a recent Mono/Stereo write up: https://www.monoandstereo.com/2019/07/vitavox-cn191-speakers.html?m=1
Loving the bass bins… very nice!! Thanks Peter.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest

From the Latin...
Vita: Life,
Vox: Voice

Thanks Peter. I inquired about the reproduction CN191 in your Utah visit write-up - here, where you can also see David's response.

I should write to the fellow to learn if he has any speakers or distribution in the US.

Without knowing more, they are a compelling consideration. As I believe I've commented, your own accounts, and videos of your speakers in play, are delightful - and your system is an embodiment of natural sound. As best I can gauge, exactly what I'm looking for to pair with Lamm electronics. I do have the available corners on a 16' wall. And I absolutely adore the mid-century look.

The reproduction CN191 is described as constructed of Scandinavian birch plywood with walnut veneer. It is explained to me that while drivers can be replaced it is the cabinetry that is key. Original wood and construction technique and materials cannot be replaced and even modern day repairs may imperil the original sound.

Do you know the wood used in your original? Do you know of anyone who has hear the reproduction?

Based solely on looks, I am also curious about the JBL Hartsfield.

66272104_2361685487187375_1739806056638316544_o-2.jpg

i-img1000x798-1609902377x13dod9079.jpg

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
consider auditioning the Stenheim Alumine Three

Thank you oliver. A few years back I heard very positive comments about the Alumine Five from Gideon Schwartz at Audio Arts. Maybe if we ever have an audio show, I'll get a chance to listen to the Three.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
From the Latin...

Thanks Peter. I inquired about the reproduction CN191 in your Utah visit write-up - here, where you can also see David's response.

I should write to the fellow to learn if he has any speakers or distribution in the US.

Without knowing more, they are a compelling consideration. As I believe I've commented, your own accounts, and videos of your speakers in play, are delightful - and your system is an embodiment of natural sound. As best I can gauge, exactly what I'm looking for to pair with Lamm electronics. I do have the available corners on a 16' wall. And I absolutely adore the mid-century look.

The reproduction CN191 is described as constructed of Scandinavian birch plywood with walnut veneer. It is explained to me that while drivers can be replaced it is the cabinetry that is key. Original wood and construction technique and materials cannot be replaced and even modern day repairs may imperil the original sound.

Do you know the wood used in your original? Do you know of anyone who has hear the reproduction?

View attachment 82398

View attachment 82399
+1 on the above Tim. Both the Vitas and the Hartsfields look like wonderful avenues to go down. Am a little bit hot for the Hartsfields but also a bit of best of British is very nice as well. Great choices.

Reactions: tima and christoph

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
From the Latin...

View attachment 82398

View attachment 82399
How much are the "new" versions of the Vitavox CN191 and the JBL Hartsfield?

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Reactions: the sound of Tao

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Ml2.2 is 220 watts into 8 ohms and 440 into 4 ohms.is this not enough for the 30.7s.?
You are confusing the Lamm M 2.2 (hybrid) with the Lamm ML 2.x 18 Watt SET in question here...

PS: The Lamm M 2.x or M 1.x hybrids might even be among the very best sounding amps capable to drive Maggies :cool:

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing