Best material for turntable belt

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark

hvcvuong

Dec 13, 2021
Almost two years ago I tried for the first time an EPDM belt.

Back at that time I used to own a VPI Avenger Reference and I was tired with the Buna-M belts and their inconsistencies, not to mention the premature wear and cracking.

Back at this period I had tried some alternative materials and namely belts made of Polyurethane, Silicone, Neoprene, Viton to name just a few.

For an unknown to me reason the EPDM was clearly a winner in all aspects. The speed was more consistent and stable, while dynamics , bass and clarity were way better with this material.

On my effort to have the best possible made EPDM belt, I addressed the task to one of world’s leaders in polymer products. The task was to get calibrated EPDM belts with tight size tolerances across the whole length.

These belts offered (and are still offering) an outstanding service.
However until recently I wasn’t aware for the reason behind this positive experience, until the moment that accidentally read a study made by Parker one of the largest producers of o’ring in the world (https://www.parker.com/portal/site/...7575e210VgnVCM10000048021dacRCRD&vgnextfmt=EN)

At this study Parker is comparing different polymer materials and their properties as drive belts.

At this study it is proved that EPDM is the superior polymer drive material due to the low dynamic stress relaxation combined with very good flex resistance , reliability, abrasion resistance and resistance to high temperatures.

In comparison Silicone and Hypalon demonstrated much higher dynamic stress relaxation (very unsuitable for driving a platter), in addition silicone proved to have very poor abrasion resistance .

Neoprene demonstrated a dynamic stress relaxation similar to the EPDM but is fell short when it came to the flex resistance.
Hi Vienna,

Could you support me to by 02 sets of above EPDM belts for VPI Avenger Reference turntable?
1. Fly wheel o'ring Rim Drive Belt - EPDM material - Black color x 2EA
2. Belt 1 & belt 2 (from motor to Rim drive) x 04 EA

I will pay via Mastercard before shipping.
My facebook: https://www.facebook.com/hvcvuong1
Looking forward to head from you soonest.
Tks in-advance!
1639381249552.png

Hilroy48

Sep 15, 2021
Regina Sk Canada
I hate to resurrect an old thread, but where can i get a belt made for my Marantz table. the current loop is 2mmx292mm

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I have been doing a lot of experimentation with the interface between the motor pulley and platter. I started with the Micro Seiki SX 8000 II, Play the original American Sound AS 1000 and now the AS 2000.

I have found that differences in the type of material, dimensions of the material, and tension are all audible in my system. Motor torque is also audible. In other words, all of this stuff matters.

I prefer a non-stretch belt to a stretchy belt. Dental floss sounded better than the non-stretch belt and non-stretch string of very small diameter sounds best to me in my system.

There’s also an interesting relationship between torque and tension. With my turntable platter’s high inertia and low friction bearing combination, I am trying to reduce the influence of the motor on the platter, so the string is fairly loose and of very small diameter. This results in a more natural sound.

Reactions: mtemur

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Are you serious about the dental floss?

Yes, of course. It is not very stretchy and it is extremely thin. The issue is trying to create a belt that is not twisted. It actually sounded better than any of the rubber belts I tried, stretch and non-stretch. I think it is because it is so thin and small.

Serenade

Nov 30, 2022
I used a silk string between motor and platter for my former Nottingham Analog Hyperspace. The silk string gave a more precise sound over the supplied round rubber belt. However, a speed control device with a wide control band is necessary. I had to adjust the speed of the motor by a large jump to get back precisely 33 1/3RPM at the platter.

Reactions: mtemur

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
I believe this fine thread is also good for the job. If I’m not mistaken it’s silk and made in France.
317DA58C-6885-4FA4-8C14-F90574DAD13C.jpeg
8FF1A97C-819C-4CD0-AB0F-2967509D21E4.jpeg
2F1498B1-ADD7-48F1-898C-266A55FE9E7D.jpeg

Hilroy48

Sep 15, 2021
Regina Sk Canada
Thank you for the replies. it seems everyone I contacted has no interest in making me a belt for my TT. Will look into the silk thread route.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Thank you for the replies. it seems everyone I contacted has no interest in making me a belt for my TT. Will look into the silk thread route.
I have my belts made in custom lengths by the turntable/arm maker Origin Live.

Hilroy48

Sep 15, 2021
Regina Sk Canada
I have my belts made in custom lengths by the turntable/arm maker Origin Live.
They refused to make me a round belt, only flat

Reactions: Lagonda

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing