Best solid state preamps around $15k used with remotes

yuhengdu

Jun 24, 2016
Soulution preamp. Superb, especially if you have a valve power amp
Cool, I see a soulution 520 preamp for sale at audiogon. I don't need the phono that comes with it though since my stack is digital. Have you compared soulution preamp to other ss preamps or tube preamps? I am trying to get a bit more impressions of it. Thanks.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Reactions: Bso and yuhengdu

hogen

May 15, 2018
Oslo, Norway
What is the best solid state preamps you ever heard under $20k used price? A remote volume control is required. I am interested to hear your thoughts. Thanks.
Burmester;)

Reactions: Another Johnson

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
you might be able to find a CH L-1 preamp for that or a little more which is fantastic and has a nice small remote.

By the way the NEW Esoteric Preamps are quite good and you can buy new.

Reactions: yuhengdu

analyzer

VIP/Donor
May 20, 2016
Torino - Italy
Another option is the Emmlabs PRE flagship.
A friend of mine with a long experience had recently purchased it after a few days of trial; we discussed about the lack of grain, the superbly low distortion and wonderful tonal palette; at this time we both had the same linestage.
It's interesting to point that many superb High class linestage have in common similar specifications, especially the low gain of amplification; the Emmlabs does not make an exception with its 6 db gain only.
I never seen one in the used market, never Say never... With a 25000 usd official price you must find a unit at approximately half this price or towards the upper limit of your budget.
Just my two cents
Marco

montesquieu

Jan 27, 2019
See if you can have a listen to an Audiopax ... I've been extremel happy with my Model 5 but if you really must spend more mone then the L50 is superb, I had that on loan while my Model 5 was being built.

Mine is in an otherwise all-tube system but fits in beautifully.

Reactions: KeithR

pdubya

Oct 30, 2012
Audiophile wasteland
Speaking of remotes, the Soulution’s is a nice palm-sized one that won’t break anything if dropped. There’s a useful -20dB button for when the phone rings.

Also, the 520 is inherently a single-ended, not fully balanced design, which might be preferable with the Wells.

pdubya

Oct 30, 2012
Audiophile wasteland
Another option is the Emmlabs PRE flagship.
A friend of mine with a long experience had recently purchased it after a few days of trial; we discussed about the lack of grain, the superbly low distortion and wonderful tonal palette; at this time we both had the same linestage.
It's interesting to point that many superb High class linestage have in common similar specifications, especially the low gain of amplification; the Emmlabs does not make an exception with its 6 db gain only.
I never seen one in the used market, never Say never... With a 25000 usd official price you must find a unit at approximately half this price or towards the upper limit of your budget.
Just my two cents
Marco
Scott Walker had a dirt cheap dented PRE for sale but looks like it's gone now. Frankly, the Pre2 is not a bad option. I use one with Classe monoblocks to drive Revel Salon2's -- sounds great to me on all types of music.

analyzer

VIP/Donor
May 20, 2016
Torino - Italy
Scott Walker had a dirt cheap dented PRE for sale but looks like it's gone now. Frankly, the Pre2 is not a bad option. I use one with Classe monoblocks to drive Revel Salon2's -- sounds great to me on all types of music.
I agree without reserve! Actually I have in my system the Pre2 by Emmlabs that I find really excellent and well balanced in overall spectrum. My friend here in Italy that also had the Pre2 replaced it with PRE (the flagship of the brand priced almost the double...).

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Oh I mean the preamps. Yes I like the innamorata signature, great amp.
Apologies. VTL and VAC make great preamps reasonably priced on the used market that I've heard. Also, CH Precision.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
The Westminster Lab Quest preamp.
Net price will be near usd15k.
Products of 2020 of both monoandstereo.com and HighFidelity.pl .

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
I auditioned it at the HK dealer showroom.
It performed at a Bespoke copper passive preamp level.

20210121_181436~2.jpg
20210121_181555~2.jpg
20210121_181638~2.jpg

Last edited:

RaChiK

Sep 13, 2020

Verdier

Oct 7, 2018
My recommendation is:

Trinity Reference Preamp

From my personal experience, I would say: Trinity, Bespoke and CH L1 are really good preamps (and they are also in the price range you mentioned). But you won't be able to avoid trying these preamps in your system. I don't think it's a good idea to buy a preamp in this price range "blind" without first trying it out with the amp it's going to drive.

In my experience, the Trinity sounds with more body than the other two. They have a slightly different character - it's up to you to try them out.

Skanda

May 2, 2020
everyone is gonna mention what they have as best :) but i'm gonna throw in another vote for the soulution. i have the 721 as i don't need phono either...man, this preamp does it all so so so good. dynamics, resolution, tone. if you're looking for a preamp that adds a tonal character then this aint it. the ch l1 is an excellent choice too and between the two it depends on musical taste and amp/speaker choice. if you dig through my post history i wrote a comparison of the two.

for what it's worth, i know audio products depreciate esp the uber swiss stuff. but when i see what these soulution pre's go for on the usual sites i just shake my head because its a really really hard pre to best.

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
Another vote for CH L1, or Audionet Stern

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing