Best Sounding FM Tuner?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
When we listen to analog FM radio broadcasts are we listening over analog radio transmission to a replay of a CD or a computer file by the radio station?

Mikem53

Oct 1, 2020
When we listen to analog FM radio broadcasts are we listening over analog radio transmission to a replay of a CD or a computer file by the radio station?
U.S. radio broadcasters are now simultaneously broadcasting both traditional analog signals and digital signals that can be picked up with a digital radio receiver. So you can have it either way, but the music will most likely come off a compressed file on a hard drive.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
U.S. radio broadcasters are now simultaneously broadcasting both traditional analog signals and digital signals that can be picked up with a digital radio receiver. So you can have it either way, but the music will most likely come off a compressed file on a hard drive.

Thank you. (This is the answer I was expecting, but not the answer I was hoping for!)

I am going to sell my Magnum Dynalab MD 100.

Last edited:

Don C

Jul 20, 2013
USA
FM today is CD quality with everything under 50 hz and over 15kHz filtered out!!

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
In Germany is from 30Hz to 15Khz sounds good with
classical music(concert recordings)
Rock and Pop i think comes from harddrive.
it is broadcast in two frequency bands, mono and stereo with radio data system extra (name of the radio station)
660px-UKW-Rundfunk-Basisband.svg.png

Vinyl Rules!

Oct 14, 2018
I purchased a Accuphase T-1200 Tuner last year I have to say it was one of the best all time audio purchase's in my 53 year audio career.
Sounds wonderful!
Regards
AJ
You purchased, IMHO, the single best FM stereo tuner ever manufactured! Performance-wise, there is nothing that can touch it. May I ask the name of the dealership from which you purchased it?

Vinyl Rules!

Oct 14, 2018
Is anyone familiar with the Denon TU-900?

How does the TU-900 compare sonically to the Denon TU-800 or to the Denon TU-850?

How does the Denon TU-900 compre to the similar Sansui tuners, like the TU-919?
The Denon TU-800 is a much better tuner than the TU-900 (3 IF bandwidth settings vs, 2 on the TU-900, and better specs than the TU-900). As for Sansui comparisons, the Denon TU-900 would be, IMHO, roughly equivalent to the Sansui TU-719 performance and sound quality wise. As always, YMMV

Vinyl Rules!

Oct 14, 2018
If you are trying to receive weak, distant stations ("DX") then a 88 to 108 MHz multi-element yagi antenna and rotator is the most effective solution (but not the most unobtrusive).

I just checked on the internet but none of the amateur radio antenna manufacturers I happen to be familiar with seem to make 88 to 108 MHz beam antennas.

However, this is a serious fixed, omni-directional (you cannot rotate it and point it at your target station to amplify the signals from the target direction and attenuate signals from the sides and back of the antenna) 88 to 108 MHz antenna by a good company which makes amateur radio antennas I used to use:

View attachment 74472

As a transmitting antenna it is overly rugged for receiving-only but it will do a great job!
An omnidirectional antenna is pretty much useless for DX’ing, and it will never have a gain greater than 1.

If you wish to DX signals you need a directional yagi FM antenna and they are becoming more difficult to source. However, Innovantennas (innovantennas.com) in England still makes some very good ones.

Their website will convert £’s to $’s and if you’re in the US you don’t pay the tax.

I believe this one is superb, and it’s about $335 plus shipping.

https://www.innovantennas.com/en/ou...ement-88-108mhz-op-desInnovAntennas shop.html

It’s specs are:

Typical Gain:11.30dBi

Typical F/B: 26dB

Gain at 10m (33') above ground: 17.62dBi

Power Rating: 3kw

Feed Impedance: 75? or 50?

Boom Length: 5.6m - 18' 5''

Weight: 4.82Kg / 11LB

Turning Radius: 3.0m / 9' 9''ft

Wind Loading: 0.5 Square Metres / 2 Square feet

Wind Survival: 331KPH / 206MPH

I find the wind survival rating particularly impressive.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
You purchased, IMHO, the single best FM stereo tuner ever manufactured! Performance-wise, there is nothing that can touch it. May I ask the name of the dealership from which you purchased it?
What do you think of the best internet tuner? Or is that an oxymoron? I am just concerned about going for FM given that certain countries have already announced termination dates (even if they are being extended).

MTB Vince

May 11, 2019
Dundas, ON Canada
I sold the pair of good sounding Meridian 504 tuners we still had in the household last Fall. The motivator was the realization that neither the one in my wife's home office nor the second in our living room system had been used for a decade!

Mikem53

Oct 1, 2020
What do you think of the best internet tuner? Or is that an oxymoron? I am just concerned about going for FM given that certain countries have already announced termination dates (even if they are being extended)
Are you looking for a tuner external to your music system ? Do you use a computer in your system to playback digital ? If so, you can use an app for FM/internet radio.
Otherwise they have standalone devices. Never used one of these, I use an app. Link below
Stand-alone internet tuners

Mikem53

Oct 1, 2020
I sold the pair of good sounding Meridian 504 tuners we still had in the household last Fall. The motivator was the realization that neither the one in my wife's home office nor the second in our living room system had been used for a decade!
Similar story, I had a Marantz MR78 tuner that I had for many years. I think I used it twice ! Once when I got it and then to check it before I sold it ... but it was pretty to look at when it was on..

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Are you looking for a tuner external to your music system ? Do you use a computer in your system to playback digital ? If so, you can use an app for FM/internet radio.
Otherwise they have standalone devices. Never used one of these, I use an app. Link below
Stand-alone internet tuners
Hi...I was reading about the Accuphase T1200 and thinking that (for us), it would be wonderful to have something so state of the art...but would prefer that it had internet radio to give us longevity of use. If there is something of that equivalent, that might be interesting.

I will take a look at your list. Thank you!

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Similar story, I had a Marantz MR78 tuner that I had for many years. I think I used it twice ! Once when I got it and then to check it before I sold it ... but it was pretty to look at when it was on..
Marantz never had an MR78...u probably meant McIntosh

Back in the day I was into FM tuners. Had most of the top ones. Of them all I really thought the Yamaha CT-7000 sounded best although my Day Sequerra sure looked cool......

Mikem53

Oct 1, 2020
Marantz never had an MR78...u probably meant McIntosh

Back in the day I was into FM tuners. Had most of the top ones. Of them all I really thought the Yamaha CT-7000 sounded best although my Day Sequerra sure looked cool......
I stand corrected.. I should have remembered the walnut case!

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
The Accuphase T-1200 looks very serious, indeed!

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
I found a U.S. version Accuphase T-106,so i'll see how it stacks up to my other tuners. I have read about the T-1200 and the reviews are quite interesting. I have also contacted a tech who specializes in tuner upgrades. I'll post about my Accuphase later.

Reactions: Ron Resnick

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I found a U.S. version Accuphase T-106,so i'll see how it stacks up to my other tuners. I have read about the T-1200 and the reviews are quite interesting. I have also contacted a tech who specializes in tuner upgrades. I'll post about my Accuphase later.

What other tuners do you have in your collection?

Reactions: RogerD

analyzer

VIP/Donor
May 20, 2016
Torino - Italy
I listen sometimes through tuner FM.
I had in the past some respectable tuners like Marantz 20 and Day-Sequerra (not the original 1). I ended my tuner journey with my favourite just for the cool looking, a SAE MkVI with nixies digits and the indispensable oscilloscope.
It does not sounds as the best Sansui or MR78 or again, a Sequerra neverthless it's very good to my ears.
What Is disappointing is the broadcast quality, going worse also for the RAI3 Channel that here in Italy granted in the past classical live concerts and music programming of fine quality. Now the dynamic compression is hardly used; all the FM world becomes of marginal importance in recent years, and the ghost of the FM shut-off is behind the corner.
Obviously I hope not.

Attachments

• IMG_20210425_225107.jpg
    IMG_20210425_225107.jpg
    532.4 KB · Views: 8
Reactions: Barry2013

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
What other tuners do you have in your collection?
Hi Ron,
I have several Mcintosh MR78,MR80,MR66,and MR71. The 66 and 71 I just purchased so I can’t say which one I like the most yet.
My favorite so far is my Day Sequerra FM Reference.
I also have a Dynaco FM-3 that had been modified but sounds nice.
I suspect that the MR80, FM Reference, and the T-106 will be the best of the herd. The MR71 should be the best tube turner. I purchased the T-106 because a fellow on another forum told me it was the best of the 40 tuners that he has owned.
That’s it for me on tuners except when a friend tells me she is ready to part with her late husband ‘s Marantz 10B which he bought new.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing