Boulder 2060 vs Gryphon Mephisto

Jlaz

Aug 22, 2015
Although congratulations may be a little premature, I'm just 5 months into a three year payment plan...:)
Can i ask what pre amp you partner with your 2060?

At the moment I am using a vitus Dac as a pre-amp/dac. Most of my music is digital. It is good but I plan on moving on from the Vitus this year. I’ve considered a DCS with a Tube pre amp or even a tube dac. Honestly, I am not sure where this will go. I owned a Viva integrated once and I have considered the Viva pre amp.

Years ago when I first decided i had to have a Boulder I heard the audio research ref 40 with both a 1060 and a 2060. I went gagaga. Sadly that great dealer has closed but I will never forget the year(s) I lived in Southern California.

Reactions: infinitely baffled

kswanson27

Nov 21, 2018
At the moment I am using a vitus Dac as a pre-amp/dac. Most of my music is digital. It is good but I plan on moving on from the Vitus this year. I’ve considered a DCS with a Tube pre amp or even a tube dac. Honestly, I am not sure where this will go. I owned a Viva integrated once and I have considered the Viva pre amp.

Years ago when I first decided i had to have a Boulder I heard the audio research ref 40 with both a 1060 and a 2060. I went gagaga. Sadly that great dealer has closed but I will never forget the year(s) I lived in Southern California.
Would that great dealer be Stereo Design? As we speak I'm trying an Audio Research Ref 10 with my 2060.

Jlaz

Aug 22, 2015
Would that great dealer be Stereo Design? As we speak I'm trying an Audio Research Ref 10 with my 2060.
Yes it was stereo design. They are the best dealer I have ever worked with. David Nielsen was fabulous. I still feel terrible because when I was about to buy the whole boulder set up I had a work disaster that made me invest in my business and not a stereo. I wish that he was still in business because I would buy from him. Such is life.

Jlaz

Aug 22, 2015
Yes it was stereo design. They are the best dealer I have ever worked with. David Nielsen was fabulous. I still feel terrible because when I was about to buy the whole boulder set up I had a work disaster that made me invest in my business and not a stereo. I wish that he was still in business because I would buy from him. Such is life.

How is the Ref 10 with the 2060?

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland

Talking about vitus did you also try a vitus integrated or vitus poweramp.
They say vitus is on the warm side of the spectrum

Reactions: JayT

Jlaz

Aug 22, 2015
No I did not. I strongly considered an sia 25 but I was coming from a Boulder 865 and really wanted separates. I did consider the Diablo. That was a nice simple machine. Sounded good; improved nuance over the Boulder 865.

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Talking about vitus did you also try a vitus integrated or vitus poweramp.
They say vitus is on the warm side of the spectrum
I've tried the opposite combo- Vitus Masterpiece pre amp with my 2060. It was a subtly different presentation in terms of tonality and texture, but did not get me to the heart of the music like the Wavac pre, nor did it have the same impact as Boulder 2110

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Although congratulations may be a little premature, I'm just 5 months into a three year payment plan...:)
If you had kids, that would be called "The Terrible Threes".

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
If i had kids I'd probably be listening to music on something mass market and Japanese;)

Jlaz

Aug 22, 2015
That’s funny! I got into stereo before we had kids and I was not going back. I did give up one of my cars to invest in the stereo. However, my wife and family enjoys it as well.

So I agree with the vitus... it has a different tone and sound. However i don’t love it. I’d like to try Wavac. The 2110 is amazing and is on my short list for a pre. I may also look at the arc ref 10. I’ve been considering a c-j gat as well.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Do let us know if you try CJ and Boulder...would be interesting in knowing what you think. Enjoy the auditions!

Jlaz

Aug 22, 2015
I will! Hopefully this spring. We just bought a new house and I am investing in some minor renovations at the moment. Hopefully we get moved in soon and I can set up the stereo. I will have to let you know when I have the C-J in for an audition.

johndoe21ro

Oct 3, 2012
Europe
That’s funny! I got into stereo before we had kids and I was not going back. I did give up one of my cars to invest in the stereo. However, my wife and family enjoys it as well.
My passion about the hobby and experience are similar. I would find it difficult to live without my music and my audio! ;)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I will! Hopefully this spring. We just bought a new house and I am investing in some minor renovations at the moment. Hopefully we get moved in soon and I can set up the stereo. I will have to let you know when I have the C-J in for an audition.
Great! Congrats on the new house...make sure if you can to include any audio upgrades to the house (dedicated wiring, trunking under the floor for speakers, perhaps video if you use your main system for movies). We did this, and really, really enjoy what we did.

Reactions: Jlaz

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
My next undertaking be it a public hifi shop or something private .
Its gonna get a listening room / cinema or both.
This is a company in Holland regarding acoustics , he has got some Nice projects .
I especially like the light brown studio he did with the brown uneven stonework on the wall and the projector its under references
Www.mutrox.com.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
My next undertaking be it a public hifi shop or something private .
Its gonna get a listening room / cinema or both.
This is a company in Holland regarding acoustics , he has got some Nice projects .
I especially like the light brown studio he did with the brown uneven stonework on the wall and the projector its under references
Www.mutrox.com.
Looks like they do a lot of work for the industry...music, game production, recording, as well as private home cinema. Very nice work!

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Yes a lot of different stuff , also a room in a room as Standard, Nice and quit and play as loud as you want.
See one can change speakers cables amps all year long but this seems to me a big step up instead of small or sideways.

Jlaz

Aug 22, 2015
Great! Congrats on the new house...make sure if you can to include any audio upgrades to the house (dedicated wiring, trunking under the floor for speakers, perhaps video if you use your main system for movies). We did this, and really, really enjoy what we did.
These are great ideas. We are taking care of the dedicated wiring and trunking for the speakers. We bought new speakers for the move— it was a fair trade my wife got her dream house and I got better speakers. I need to look into the video. Do you project or use a tv panel?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
These are great ideas. We are taking care of the dedicated wiring and trunking for the speakers. We bought new speakers for the move— it was a fair trade my wife got her dream house and I got better speakers. I need to look into the video. Do you project or use a tv panel?
Project! First time ever and we absolutely love it. Even my wife said it is a lot more fun than she expected...a movie experience with a better sound system in the comfort of our own home. If you are both up for it, i will say...its a LOT of fun. The screen is tucked away very neatly in a white box so you dont really notice it as you move from one room into the other...and the screen comes down with a remote. Works really well. Got a great deal from a dealer on a JVC DLA 7000 series.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing