Breaking news from DCS….

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Some comments from my listen to the Rossini Apex:

oldvinyl

Jun 3, 2017
Specific Northwest - Seattle area
I got to listen to the Vivaldi Apex in my system today, back to back with my Vivaldi. Used the same CD/SACD selections at the same volume. Major impressions from the Apex - not a subtle difference. Apex had much more body and density to the sound of instruments. Apex had more of the ambient cues, giving more sense of the recording venue. The Apex also had much lower noise. On a Joe Pass CD and an Ella Fitzgerald/Joe Pass CD, there are some tracks with obvious master tape hiss. Somehow, the Apex managed to suppress more background noise (as compared with Vivaldi) without sacrificing any high frequency. Overall, I thought the Apex was even more musical than the Vivaldi - and I have really been enjoying the Vivaldi (along with Vivaldi transport and Rossini clock).
I confirmed my order for the upgrade.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I got to listen to the Vivaldi Apex in my system today, back to back with my Vivaldi. Used the same CD/SACD selections at the same volume. Major impressions from the Apex - not a subtle difference. Apex had much more body and density to the sound of instruments. Apex had more of the ambient cues, giving more sense of the recording venue. The Apex also had much lower noise. On a Joe Pass CD and an Ella Fitzgerald/Joe Pass CD, there are some tracks with obvious master tape hiss. Somehow, the Apex managed to suppress more background noise (as compared with Vivaldi) without sacrificing any high frequency. Overall, I thought the Apex was even more musical than the Vivaldi - and I have really been enjoying the Vivaldi (along with Vivaldi transport and Rossini clock).
Thank you for posting !

Reactions: Lee

ashandger

Jun 14, 2013
Many thanks for sharing your impressions. Wondering if you noticed any differences in the top end smoothness/brightness?

Reactions: Lee

oldvinyl

Jun 3, 2017
Many thanks for sharing your impressions. Wondering if you noticed any differences in the top end smoothness/brightness?
For background: I only listen to discs with the transport and DAC, I do not have the upsampler or network feed for hi-res files from a server. The transport is set to DXD for CD playback, DAC Filter 1 for SACD and DAC Filter 4 for CD. The DAC directly feeds the amps and I use the DAC volume control set to 6 volts; balanced outputs.
My impression of the top end was that it was as smooth as the Vivaldi 2.0, just less noise. I listened to some organ and brass music, solo and choral vocals at decent volumes without any digititis (compression or glare).
While digital does not have the same high frequency character as my vinyl, the dCS is the first digital setup I have had that is essentially free ( or free enough ) of the artifacts that made other digital players less enjoyable.

Rejean

VIP/Donor
May 20, 2021
Thank you for your impressions. Although there are still few comments on the APEX update, it seems like a serious update. I believe I will add my name to the queue.

ashandger

Jun 14, 2013
For background: I only listen to discs with the transport and DAC, I do not have the upsampler or network feed for hi-res files from a server. The transport is set to DXD for CD playback, DAC Filter 1 for SACD and DAC Filter 4 for CD. The DAC directly feeds the amps and I use the DAC volume control set to 6 volts; balanced outputs.
My impression of the top end was that it was as smooth as the Vivaldi 2.0, just less noise. I listened to some organ and brass music, solo and choral vocals at decent volumes without any digititis (compression or glare).
While digital does not have the same high frequency character as my vinyl, the dCS is the first digital setup I have had that is essentially free ( or free enough ) of the artifacts that made other digital players less enjoyable.
Wonderful. Many thanks for the detailed feedback.

ALF

Mar 15, 2012
Southwest
ah; however, it is cheaper than a $25k replacement-upgrade and the Apex is getting stellar first listens.

Maybe not your cup of tea tn, that’s okay.

vbw,
-a

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Ten thousand dollars to upgrade? US dollars? For the same DAC? Is it just me, or is this just insane?

IMHO an excellent deal to current dCS Vivaldi owners - the full system lists for more than one hundred thousand, and we are able to improve a top machine getting SOTA status again for less than 10% of that value.

And surely it is an insane hobby - you will get no excuses from me. But I prefer it to collecting stamps or gardening, sorry! Besides I can't imagine myself posting to what is the best stamp or what is the best rose ... :)

oldvinyl

Jun 3, 2017
Ten thousand dollars to upgrade? US dollars? For the same DAC? Is it just me, or is this just insane?
Can't speak to the sanity and you are free to worry about mine for owning a Vivaldi and getting it upgraded.

I found a great deal from my dealer on a demo clock and a demo transport. The DAC was full price, but there was an incredible allowance for trading up from a Rossini player (I made the mistake of listening to a Vivaldi after I already purchased the Rossini).

The upgrade cost depends on when you purchased the Vivaldi. My upgrade price is a little less since I purchased the Vivaldi in the last half of 2021. dCS has also had other upgrades to the DAC - at no charge to the owner. This one is for a circuit board replacement and the back panel (to show the new model name).

I have a phono stage from Aesthetix that has been upgraded several times at $thousands each time. Well worth it to me. Perhaps not to everyone. Makes more sense to me to have incremental cost with performance improvements than shopping for something new, taking a big loss on selling it or trading it, and trying to find a reasonable price on new gear.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I hate to say this, I fought the upsampled for years. Kept loving my Vivaldi DAC, Trans and Clock. One day my dealer talked me into borrowing his upsampled. Ugh. It's a serious improvement for red book cd's. Like big. Almost bigger than the clock. I still think the Transport is the best vs file playback, even DSDx2 or DXD native files for the most part. I consider the Upsampler a 2nd source. I do get a lot of joy from hi Rez files, I have about 200 now, I'd say 2000 CD's and SACD's.

Some of us here at WBF like spending your money ;-)

I'd suggest demoing the upsampler one day...but it a once heard you can't unhear it type of thing for red book cds...

oldvinyl

Jun 3, 2017
I hate to say this, I fought the upsampled for years. Kept loving my Vivaldi DAC, Trans and Clock. One day my dealer talked me into borrowing his upsampled. Ugh. It's a serious improvement for red book cd's. Like big. Almost bigger than the clock. I still think the Transport is the best vs file playback, even DSDx2 or DXD native files for the most part. I consider the Upsampler a 2nd source. I do get a lot of joy from hi Rez files, I have about 200 now, I'd say 2000 CD's and SACD's.

I'd suggest demoing the upsampler one day...but it a once heard you can't unhear it type of thing for red book cds...
Sorry, not my first rodeo. I keep telling myself it’s the last rodeo.

I know where the Vivaldi Upsampler path leads …. new power cords, new digital cables, new HRS rack/shelves/footers,.

I am actually very satisfied with my digital gear. I prefer to enjoy more music and not worry about the other components. And, I would rather retire a few months sooner.

enjoy!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Yes, unfortunately the Upsampler is mandatory for CD playback after you listen to it. Even the dCS people do not know exactly why ... IMHO physical CDs and SACDs are still the musical reference with the Vivaldi in my system.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Sorry, not my first rodeo. I keep telling myself it’s the last rodeo.

I know where the Vivaldi Upsampler path leads …. new power cords, new digital cables, new HRS rack/shelves/footers,.

I am actually very satisfied with my digital gear. I prefer to enjoy more music and not worry about the other components. And, I would rather retire a few months sooner.

enjoy!

And then you feel tempted to change your WBF nick to newdigital ... :)

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I took a longer listen to the Rossini Apex today at hifibuys. I collected a bunch of listening notes and am writing up a short story on it. Should have the article together tomorrow for our TAS Facebook page and I will link to it here.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Subscribed

number95

May 14, 2014

+1
Somehow I stayed away from upsampler for years after invested in Transport, Dac and clock whether it was due more time I spent with vinyl or skepticism on streaming, redbook cd etc I am not sure. Once I decided to bring an upsampler and compared it to redbook playback via transport, just that part to me justified the purchase. I also agree with Jeff such that for critical listening, sacd playback via transport is still slightly superior vs hirez audio.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing