DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
All Tubes made by Telefunken have a B or U on the Glass with indicates the week and year of manufacture with a 7-digit number. if the tube doesn't have it, that's an outsourced contract work.
For Exsample in Ulm made tension grid tube Ecc803s
20170526_494b16.jpg

Mullard made Ecc803s
PVT-STK MULLARD-ECC803S-4.jpg

Reactions: christoph and ddk

Vienna

VIP/Donor
Vienna, thanks for the amazing dive into the RoNt variants. I've never thought of rolling the PL36 tubes but I have been curious. Mine has one labelled Telefunken and another Phillips. Not sure if they are actually the same manufacture. I don't think they're too expensive.
In fact, I can't even tell how one would remove them out of their close quarters :cool:.
@Kenc its not difficult to replace the tubes and PL36 NOS are very cheap. The rectifier 5AR4 (GZ34) is more expensive.

I have made for you a guide on the procedure to replace them:

1. Turn upside down the power supply and unscrew the four marked Allen screws only

B5191233-4640-4FC6-B3A4-363AD05F349A.jpeg

2. The side covers are now free. Remove them by sliding them away

A1D9B8D6-5163-4877-A0FA-06BAFA0FE52B.jpeg

3. Turn upright the power supply again. You will see that you have access to the Allen screws which are securing the front face plate. Remove all four from both sides

D77E0A77-E003-40EC-A385-72A9D0F8B13C.jpeg 667BBB97-C51E-475D-B6F7-24739CCA80FF.jpeg

4. The front face plate is now free to be removed

138692A4-959E-4E6A-A4A0-40AAC1C2C432.jpeg

I hope that will help.

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
Great report! Mine is a Rotn II first generation and swapping to a Mullard GZ34 brought a great improvement. However, I had the chance to compare the Brinkmann power supply against a special DIY project based on a solid state design and the latter was much better than the Brinkmann unit. The designer has agreed to build me the unit. I just need to patiently wait.

Reactions: benito and Vienna

StreamFidelity

Jun 30, 2020
Rostock, Germany
griggaudio.de
Thank you for this beautiful report. I am fascinated by Brinkmann Audio turntables. Sorry for OT, but is there any experience with the »Taurus« turntable?

benito

Jul 23, 2018
France
Great works, I have learnt a lot on these power supplies. Thanks

DetroitVinylRob

VIP/Donor
Dec 29, 2016
Metropolitan Detroit area, MI
All Tubes made by Telefunken have a B or U on the Glass with indicates the week and year of manufacture with a 7-digit number. if the tube doesn't have it, that's an outsourced contract work.
View attachment 75200

Mullard made Ecc803s
View attachment 75199
That’s just it, you keep trying to reinforce that Telefunken did not make a GZ34, I get it alright? I’m suggesting I find no evidence that Telefunken did (not) contract Mullard to manufacture GZ34s. That’s all.

I have plenty of Tele manufactured (with codes) examples of other tube types myself. And I’m bewildered why a Mullard style GZ34 architecture (this tube) would be relabeled to a Tele. For what possible purpose? The other aspect is I have come across more than this single tube over the years that is exactly the same. And it sounds like my Mullard labeled GZ34s. This leads me to speculate that they were made for our good German friends. Unless someone, perhaps yourself has evidence to the contrary ok and I would welcome that understanding. But otherwise, I just refuse to jump to unsubstantiated conclusions.

Reactions: Vienna

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
That’s just it, you keep trying to reinforce that Telefunken did not make a GZ34, I get it alright? I’m suggesting I find no evidence that Telefunken did (not) contract Mullard to manufacture GZ34s. That’s all.

I have plenty of Tele manufactured (with codes) examples of other tube types myself. And I’m bewildered why a Mullard style GZ34 architecture (this tube) would be relabeled to a Tele. For what possible purpose? The other aspect is I have come across more than this single tube over the years that is exactly the same. And it sounds like my Mullard labeled GZ34s. This leads me to speculate that they were made for our good German friends. Unless someone, perhaps yourself has evidence to the contrary ok and I would welcome that understanding. But otherwise, I just refuse to jump to unsubstantiated conclusions.
everything that was produced on Orginal Telefunken tubes up to 1970 is in this book. No GZ 34. I worked at Telefunken in Hanover, Germany from 1988-1992.
500 sites of tube types trust me,we shouldn't argue, but enjoy the music through the beautiful tubes.:)nice day have fun with your Brinkmann Turntable
20210220_222552.jpg Telefunken_Hannover.jpeg

DetroitVinylRob

VIP/Donor
Dec 29, 2016
No problem with us. I appreciated what you have to bear on this subject. Truly, thank you.

You know, a lot of people say a lot of things on these audio websites, and so many of them are just repeating a piece of what they’ve heard from someone else who doesn’t necessarily have the facts right either. So I’m a little leery without understanding where the info is from.

Bottom line: who knows what that tube I have is?!

Last edited:

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
I know first hand, how the turntable power supplies are affecting the sound; and how a good power supply can elevate the music in really high levels of pleasure and satisfaction. I have experimented in the past with power supplies of different types and qualities, as well as of different circuits complexities and topologies. It’s unquestionable how the motor & controller performance is influenced by the power supply quality.

Dealing with Ront II since July 2020 and especially after replacing the tubes with NOS Mullards , couldn’t think of a better match for Brinkmann Balance.

To be honest, I challenged Sinus and Ront II some time ago; and had to pay 4200 euro, plus inconvenience, backs and forths, not to mention the stress, in order to prove to myself that Brinkmann is unbeatable and superior in all levels.

My Ront II is equipped with two NOS Mullard PL36 and one NOS Mullard GZ34 (5AR4)
View attachment 75153

To be noted that the moment that I replaced the Sovtek, Telefunken and Phillips valves with all NOS Mullard, I experienced a very noticeable sound improvement. I was thinking that perhaps this improvement was due to improved speed stability. Probably the Sovtek rectifier was the weak link.

During this evaluation besides my Ront II, I had to get an early version of Ront II as well as both versions of Ront III in order to evaluate them with different rectifiers combinations.

The early produced Ront II had fell short both in comparison with the latest Ront II and Ront III in all levels (increased measured noise and vibrations as well as soundwise).

Therefore the trial shortlisted between Ront II (version II with covered transformers) and Ront III version I and II.

View attachment 75154
View attachment 75155

I have auditioned all units with both a N.O.S. Mullard rectifier and the new BZ34.

With BZ34, both Ront II and Ront III are providing a rock solid sound with thrust and power, however this rectifier provided considerable less sense of 3-d dimensionality and spaces.

With the Mullard rectifier, the magic of the three dimensional live sound and the sense of live performance was present with this magic tube installed on both units.

I went back and forth many times as I thought that this is crazy. in my mind a rectifier is the component which converts AC power into DC power. is nothing else than just a diode which is allowing electricity to flow towards a single direction only. In addition the rectifier is away from the signal. I don’t know if it’s the V-I curve of the tube power rectifier and whether the reason is the much more rounded "knee" as compared to a solid-state rectifier or the resulted harmonics but the result is audible and unmistakable.

Ront II and Ront III are almost identical with Ront III slightly better on offering slightly less measurable noise and vibration as well as slightly better speed accuracy and stability

Between Ront III version I and version II didn’t notice an audible or measurable difference.

I am closing my evaluation on Ront III, by using Brinkmann’s statement ‘ ....Since 1985, Brinkmann’s heaviest turntable keeps on running and running and running ....with legendary quietness ....’ I would only add: ....sounding better than ever ....

Hi, why do you say: “The early produced Ront II had fell short both in comparison with the latest Ront II and Ront III in all levels (increased measured noise and vibrations as well as soundwise).” - can you elaborate on why? In another post you say that the uncovered transformers are quieter, which is how the earlier RoNT II shipped.

Vienna

VIP/Donor
Hi, why do you say: “The early produced Ront II had fell short both in comparison with the latest Ront II and Ront III in all levels (increased measured noise and vibrations as well as soundwise).” - can you elaborate on why? In another post you say that the uncovered transformers are quieter, which is how the earlier RoNT II shipped.
transformers weren’t the only difference between the earlier and later models

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
a question to the balance owner which Pabstmotor is inside, type 3809 or 3909?
I can not remember.:rolleyes:

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
@Vienna, if you are looking for the best performance from a RoNT, you must use clean AC. I can tell you that there was a significant improvement when I connected my RoNT II to the PS Audio P20 regenerator vs straight from the wall.

DetroitVinylRob

VIP/Donor
Dec 29, 2016
@Kenc its not difficult to replace the tubes and PL36 NOS are very cheap. The rectifier 5AR4 (GZ34) is more expensive.

I have made for you a guide on the procedure to replace them:

1. Turn upside down the power supply and unscrew the four marked Allen screws only

View attachment 75201

2. The side covers are now free. Remove them by sliding them away

View attachment 75202

3. Turn upright the power supply again. You will see that you have access to the Allen screws which are securing the front face plate. Remove all four from both sides

View attachment 75203 View attachment 75204

4. The front face plate is now free to be removed

View attachment 75205

I hope that will help.
Thank you for the insight Vienna, Seems to be in the German DNA, remarkably well engineered and crafted, and so much like taking a wrench to their fine automobiles though, a bit of a time killer and pita to service?

So I find those “Telefunken” branded GZ34 tubes that look exactly like my Mullards on hand, performs identical, identical to them. Such a mystery... and even the box appears to confirm what our good friend from Telefunken has dismissed. I have to wonder if Mullard supplied these to Telefunken for rebranding. What I hold here and have tested seems unlikely to be a fake when someone could have simply sold them as Mullards...

Attachments

• FB5E7B2B-C41E-4059-A1FF-686ADEA0901F.jpeg
    FB5E7B2B-C41E-4059-A1FF-686ADEA0901F.jpeg
    704.6 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: Vienna

Sunny

That is a great table, congratulations. When you get comfortable with the unit- for fun- disconnect the Ront and let it run on the SS power supply only. You will be amazed at what the tube supply contributes.
Yes the new RONT 3 is amazing...

Reactions: rsorren1 and Vienna

Vienna

VIP/Donor
a question to the balance owner which Pabstmotor is inside, type 3809 or 3909?
I can not remember.:rolleyes:
Don’t bother to try to remember ...you’ve got it completely wrong...no papst motor on Balance... only a perfectly engineered four phase motor with 500 grams perfectly balanced flywheel and true all-analogue control without any speed feedback. Helmut has abandoned mediocre motors and digitally controlled drivers long ago.

201D3D09-8A26-4150-BEAD-90A56A97B29F.jpeg

3F1DB2E9-9FA6-4EBE-A625-5E39473357C1.jpeg

Last edited:

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
View attachment 75200

Mullard made Ecc803s
View attachment 75199
I always wondered where the so called super 12AX7 gold pinned 803 s came from and thought they were modern fakes.

david

rsorren1

Sep 6, 2013
Dallas area
I first encountered Brinkmann turntables at our SoCal dealer, Sunny Components, and at one of his client's homes who has a CH Precision/Brinkmann Spyder/Lyra Atlas Lambda/Stenheim 5SE system. I was paying a visit to check on the settings and set-up of the CH Precision components and the owner played a few vinyl cuts for me. Beautiful, lush, tone and wonderful detail.

I recently purchased a Brinkmann Balance/12.1 arm/RONT III. I'm running Lyra Atlas Lambda as well. This is one fabulous analog set-up! One uses BOTH the solid state power supply (to heat the bearing) and the RONT III to run the motor. It is easy to hear the improvement that the RONT III makes since you can attach the motor to the solid state supply and remove the RONT III easily. Very noticeable improvement in quieter background, soundstage, dynamics with RONT III in my system.

Many thanks to Vienna for his detailed descriptions, measurements of these power supplies and the design of the current Balance motor.

DetroitVinylRob

VIP/Donor
Dec 29, 2016
Don’t bother to try to remember ...you’ve got it completely wrong...no papst motor on Balance... only a perfectly engineered four phase motor with 500 grams perfectly balanced flywheel and true all-analogue control without any speed feedback. Helmut has abandoned mediocre motors and digitally controlled drivers long ago.

View attachment 75361

View attachment 75362
Vienna, Love your informative posts kind sir. Very helpful to the community at large and to another very happy BB owner.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing