DetroitVinylRob

VIP/Donor
Dec 29, 2016
Metropolitan Detroit area, MI
I agree, a ‘69(?) Blackburn (UK) Mullard in my RöNt II is kind of a big deal over the Russian Sovtek. Interestingly, I have a NOS Telefunken for that position yet to try. Anyone know what I might be in for? I realize the excepted wisdom is that the NOS Mullard is considered a gem.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vienna

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
I've never had a telefunken on hand to try- telefunken never made a gz34 all the one's I have seen from afar were mullard made.

Philips metal base if you can sell a kidney for one is worth the experiment. I have a couple here that were part of tube lot purchase.

Savas is doing some excellent work on expanding the knowledge base for Brinkmann owners with the PS and motor drive experiments... thank you!

DetroitVinylRob

VIP/Donor
Dec 29, 2016
AA6CF577-F383-44BC-BBEE-A3B5185F1EB9.jpeg
I have no trusted documentation to validate their production though I have several of these from different courses over time...

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada

DetroitVinylRob

VIP/Donor
Dec 29, 2016
B15AF1A8-C06B-4AF6-AB5D-C5C2F64AB066.jpeg
Here you go. What does this tell us?

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
Its a Mullard!

DetroitVinylRob

VIP/Donor
Dec 29, 2016
Ah! So made by Mullard for Telefunken.

Reactions: Kcin

Vienna

VIP/Donor
Still at the middle of comparisons between Ront II and Ront III, I am trying every possible combination of Tetrodes and Rectifiers on each of them, stay tuned some very interesting findings are coming up.

21904A2C-508B-4429-8BFE-E7EC34EDC45D.jpeg

F0509A07-712D-48DE-ABFC-893304780429.jpeg

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
I am waiting patiently, enough with the cable reviews... they never end well :)

• Haha

Vienna

VIP/Donor
dear Nick that was a good one.
Wait a bit more... trust me

Vienna

VIP/Donor
For some weeks now, I am dealing with Ront power supply.
I first got a Ront III and got to compare it with Ront II but at the end I ended up with two Ront II and two Ront III power supplies.

When I got my Ront III I noticed that it came with transformers without cover while my Ront II had covered transformers.

C5058520-6B5F-4E91-8209-6A6839E2DECA.jpeg

By searching and speaking with the manufacturer, I got to know that both Ront II and Ront III come into two versions. Version 1 with the transformers uncovered; and Version II with the transformers covered.

The Version II with the covered transformers was launched on June 2020 in order to have the Power Supply to comply and get certified for the Korean market. This change resulted the change at the bottom plate as the covered transformers have different securing screws spacing.
Version II of Ront II and III will be the only available in the future for all markets.

Besides the obvious differences on transformers the Version I and II has a less noticeable difference. Version I of both Ront II and Ront III is equipped with N.O.S EPCOS electrolyte capacitors (which are used in many Brinkmann components) while Version II is using Nichicon.

Nichicon:
3114EE7E-FFD3-4543-ABB5-8B7183ADD9E4.jpg

EPCOS:

C2A678FA-FC97-4F2E-980A-126CC52539DF.jpeg

The major changes between Ront III and Ront II are implemented at the bottom side of the PCB and they are related with high voltage path.

N.O.S EPCOS electrolyte capacitors are not available anymore; and have been replaced by the Nichicon thus Version II of Ront will be the only available.

Shortly my sound experience with all of them with different tubes’ combinations will follow

P.S. At the end of November 2020 it was only decided , that Brinkmann would name the upgraded RöNt as RöNt III. initially the manufacturer‘s thought was to be marked as RöNt Mk II, but the distributors insisted on RöNt III.

Last edited:

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
For some weeks now, I am dealing with Ront power supply.
I first got a Ront III and got to compare it with Ront II but at the end I ended up with two Ront II and two Ront III power supplies.

When I got my Ront III I noticed that it came with transformers without cover while my Ront II had covered transformers.

View attachment 75118

By searching and speaking with the manufacturer, I got to know that both Ront II and Ront III come into two versions. Version 1 with the transformers uncovered; and Version II with the transformers covered.

The Version II with the covered transformers was launched on June 2020 in order to have the Power Supply to comply and get certified for the Korean market. This change resulted the change at the bottom plate as the covered transformer has different screws spacing.
Version II of Ront II and III will be the only available in the future for all markets.

Besides the obvious differences on transformers the Version I and II has a less noticeable difference. Version I of both Ront II and Ront III is equipped with N.O.S EPCOS electrolyte capacitors (which are used in many Brinkmann components) while Version II is using Nichicon.

Nichicon:
View attachment 75119

EPCOS:

View attachment 75120

The major changes between Ront III and Ront II are implemented at the bottom side of the PCB and they are related with high voltage path.

N.O.S EPCOS electrolyte capacitors are not available anymore; and have been replaced by the Nichicon thus Version II of Ront will be the only available.

Shortly my sound experience with all of them with different tubes’ combinations will follow

P.S. At the end of November 2020 it was only decided , that Brinkmann would name the upgraded RöNt as RöNt III. initially the manufacturer‘s thought was to be marked as RöNt Mk II, but the distributors insisted on RöNt III.
Love it, it's official, i'm not the most obsessed when it comes TT motors and controllers :) You are the winner Savvas !!! But i just ordered a assortment of thrust bearings, Belleville thrust washers and low friction washers for my TT's Studer A80 QC motor from Australia, with the intention of experimenting with noise suppression and lockup syncing points. So maybe it is a tie:eek:

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
This is all very fascinating information. You will recall that I mentioned I will reserve judgement on the change to Ront III in your initial post for the new supply. :)

Purely conjecture on my point- however, I may suggest that the SS "5AR4" change was in response to the quality of current production tubes of that type. As to the cap change this is not unusual. Parts manufacturers may change form factors for a given type and the pin out now does not match the board. According to your post Brinkmann had a stock of Epcos and they depleted and new equivalent values are no longer available in the form factor for the board.

Modern caps are so good that I would not concern my self on Nichicon , Epcos, Panasonic etc. within a given criteria they are all very good. I guess Brinkmann took the opportunity to change the PCB because of the new caps and perhaps layout of the transformers for the regulators in Korea. My bet is nothing else is fundamentally changed .... biggest difference will be the impact of the 5AR4 types--- your report will be awaited.

It looks like from your post you suggest both Ront II and III are currently available - do you know if Ront II is being phased out?

Quite a dedication to this study, you must be commended!

Vienna

VIP/Donor
I know first hand, how the turntable power supplies are affecting the sound; and how a good power supply can elevate the music in really high levels of pleasure and satisfaction. I have experimented in the past with power supplies of different types and qualities, as well as of different circuits complexities and topologies. It’s unquestionable how the motor & controller performance is influenced by the power supply quality.

Dealing with Ront II since July 2020 and especially after replacing the tubes with NOS Mullards , couldn’t think of a better match for Brinkmann Balance.

To be honest, I challenged Sinus and Ront II some time ago; and had to pay 4200 euro, plus inconvenience, backs and forths, not to mention the stress, in order to prove to myself that Brinkmann is unbeatable and superior in all levels.

My Ront II is equipped with two NOS Mullard PL36 and one NOS Mullard GZ34 (5AR4)
3521F7CD-757C-4989-9AC6-F92679AD5A1E.jpeg

To be noted that the moment that I replaced the Sovtek, Telefunken and Phillips valves with all NOS Mullard, I experienced a very noticeable sound improvement. I was thinking that perhaps this improvement was due to improved speed stability. Probably the Sovtek rectifier was the weak link.

During this evaluation besides my Ront II, I had to get an early version of Ront II as well as both versions of Ront III in order to evaluate them with different rectifiers combinations.

The early produced Ront II had fell short both in comparison with the latest Ront II and Ront III in all levels (increased measured noise and vibrations as well as soundwise).

Therefore the trial shortlisted between Ront II (version II with covered transformers) and Ront III version I and II.

700C1F65-A736-4148-9B41-0E73A3ED925B.jpeg
3CFE5FF7-6585-486C-B92E-BCD216D03698.jpeg

I have auditioned all units with both a N.O.S. Mullard rectifier and the new BZ34.

With BZ34, both Ront II and Ront III are providing a rock solid sound with thrust and power, however this rectifier provided considerable less sense of 3-d dimensionality and spaces.

With the Mullard rectifier, the magic of the three dimensional live sound and the sense of live performance was present with this magic tube installed on both units.

I went back and forth many times as I thought that this is crazy. in my mind a rectifier is the component which converts AC power into DC power. is nothing else than just a diode which is allowing electricity to flow towards a single direction only. In addition the rectifier is away from the signal. I don’t know if it’s the V-I curve of the tube power rectifier and whether the reason is the much more rounded "knee" as compared to a solid-state rectifier or the resulted harmonics but the result is audible and unmistakable.

Ront II and Ront III are almost identical with Ront III slightly better on offering slightly less measurable noise and vibration as well as slightly better speed accuracy and stability

Between Ront III version I and version II didn’t notice an audible or measurable difference.

I am closing my evaluation on Ront III, by using Brinkmann’s statement ‘ ....Since 1985, Brinkmann’s heaviest turntable keeps on running and running and running ....with legendary quietness ....’ I would only add: ....sounding better than ever ....

Last edited:

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
I know first hand, how the turntable power supplies are affecting the sound; and how a good power supply can elevate the music in really high levels of pleasure and satisfaction. I have experimented in the past with power supplies of different types and qualities, as well as of different circuits complexities and topologies. It’s unquestionable how the motor controller performance is influenced by the power supply quality.

Dealing with Ront II since July 2020 and especially after replacing the tubes with NOS Mullards , couldn’t think of a better match for Brinkmann Balance.

To be honest, I challenged Sinus and Ront II some time ago; and had to pay 4200 euro, plus inconvenience, backs and forths, not to mention the stress, in order to prove to myself that Brinkmann is unbeatable and superior in all levels.

My Ront II is equipped with two NOS Mullard PL36 and one NOS Mullard GZ34 (5AR4)
View attachment 75153

To be noted that the moment that I replaced the Sovtek, Telefunken and Phillips valves with all NOS Mullard, I experienced a very noticeable sound improvement. I was thinking that perhaps this improvement was due to improved speed stability. Probably the Sovtek rectifier was the weak link.

During this evaluation besides my Ront II, I had to get an early version of Ront II as well as both versions of Ront III in order to evaluate them with different rectifiers combinations.

The early produced Ront II had felt short both in comparison with the latest Ront II and Ront III in all levels (increased measured noise and vibrations as well as soundwise).

Therefore the trial shortlisted between Ront II (version II with covered transformers) and Ront III version I and II.

View attachment 75154
View attachment 75155

I have auditioned all units with both a N.O.S. Mullard rectifier and the new BZ34.

With BZ34, both Ront II and Ront III are providing a rock solid sound with thrust and power, however this rectifier provided considerable less sense of 3-d dimensionality and spaces.

With the Mullard rectifier, the magic of the three dimensional live sound and the sense of live performance was present with this magic tube installed on both units.

I went back and forth many times as I thought that this is crazy. in my mind a rectifier is the component which converts AC power into DC power. is nothing else than just a diode which is allowing electricity to flow towards a single direction only. In addition the rectifier is away from the signal. I don’t know if it’s the V-I curve of the tube power rectifier and whether the reason is the much more rounded "knee" as compared to a solid-state rectifier or the resulted harmonics but the result is audible and unmistakable.

Ront II and Ront III are almost identical with Ront III slightly better on offering slightly less measurable noise and vibration as well as slightly better speed accuracy and stability

Between Ront III version I and version II didn’t notice an audible or measurable difference.

I am closing my evaluation on Ront III, by using Brinkmann’s statement ‘ ....Since 1985, Brinkmann’s heaviest turntable keeps on running and running and running ....with legendary quietness ....’ I would only add: ....sounding better than ever ....
The Balanced and its motor/controller are truly a work of functional art ! Now we only need a direct comparison of your Condor/BLDC motor on the Brinkmann to finish of your evaluation ;) And Savvas we need at least 2 , one minute long videos to judge the speed drift over time, one with no resistance, and one with needle in the groove !:)

Last edited:

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
What a fabulous comprehensive review. I bet Brinkmann may not even have gone to the trouble you have Savvas. Great information for the community. Thank you!

Kenc

Jan 3, 2019
Toronto, Canada
Vienna, thanks for the amazing dive into the RoNt variants. I've never thought of rolling the PL36 tubes but I have been curious. Mine has one labelled Telefunken and another Phillips. Not sure if they are actually the same manufacture. I don't think they're too expensive.
In fact, I can't even tell how one would remove them out of their close quarters :cool:.

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
View attachment 74032
I have no trusted documentation to validate their production though I have several of these from different courses over time...
Good evening,

I don't want to disturb you, but Telefunken never produced a GZ 34, they were all produced by Phillips, in Heerlen or Mullard in Blackburn. I've never seen a tube that had a Berlin or Ulm code. a rare metalbase mullard produced by Phillips. Mullard-GZ34-metal-base-by-Amperex.jpg

For exsample berlin code
images (1).jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: christoph

DetroitVinylRob

VIP/Donor
Dec 29, 2016
Good evening,

I don't want to disturb you, but Telefunken never produced a GZ 34, they were all produced by Phillips, in Heerlen or Mullard in Blackburn. I've never seen a tube that had a Berlin or Ulm code. a rare metalbase mullard produced by Phillips. View attachment 75183

For exsample berlin
Hmm, what you say don’t disturb me but I am bewildered. There apparently are in fact lots of rebranded (Mullard) GZ34s, Mazda, Amperex, RCA, Sylvania... from the early 60’s. Can’t confirm Telefunken but

Last edited:
Reactions: christoph

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing