Burmester 911 mk3

After further review, what has been omitted will remain omitted. We would like to remind those who have participated in this thread and all members that the WBF wishes to achieve a forum that is unlike most forums out there. Our goal is to have a friendly place where everyone shares ideas and information without the level of bickering and angst that other forums tend to create. While your forum administrators here at the WBF guide with a gentle hand, if the occasion arises to where we must take immediate and strong action, we will do so. If you see objectionable posts or posts that are personal in nature, please report them. We will deal with them in the best interests of the forum, WBF's goals and the community. Above all, focus on the topic being discussed, rather than the person discussing it.

Further commentary of what was omitted along with any comments that are personal in nature will not be tolerated.

With that said, this thread will be reopened. Here's the original post again...

Tone Audio #26, Jeff Dorgay, 2009
link
PDF - page 138

"I continue to draw the same conclusion with the 911 MK 3. It has a huge, three-dimensional soundstage that I would normally associate with tubes, with the pace and drive I would normally associate with solid state, yet the weaknesses of neither. After six months of listening day in and day out, I can find no fault with the Burmester 911 MK 3 and am happy to say that this will become my new reference amplifier. It was dropped off of a truck on its way to me and I’ve often played it continuously for 24 hours day after day when breaking in new speakers, and it’s never let me down in any way. The 911 MK 3 offers perfect balance in my book; it is highly detailed and articulate, yet not harsh, and it is tremendously musical without being dark or rolled off in any way. This is truly the best power amplifier I have ever experienced. I can’t recommend it highly enough."

The Absolute Sound, Golden Ear Award, 2007
link

"Quite simply one of the best-sounding solid-state amps to thus far lighten our doorstep. It is an advance over the earlier Burmester electronics in that it is not only close to completely neutral but it shows no trace of the normally ubiquitous transistor texture and grain in the upper octaves. More interesting yet, to these ears, is how happy it is driving all sorts of speakers, from the ultra-revealing Kings to the sweetly euphonic Coltranes. An amp for all seasons, and virtually all setups."

Audiophilia, Star Component, 2002
http://www.audiophilia.com/hardware/burmester911.htm

"And that, ladies and gentlemen, is what the 911 brings to the table: Honesty, brilliance, totally clear and absolutely refined sound, great power, adaptability, and pride of ownership. If it is within your means, purchase at your pleasure. Is one note worth near 20K? I think Beethoven may have thought so. Very highly recommended."

What Hi-Fi, 2012
link

"Such a sky-high price tag leads to massively high expectations when it comes to build, finish and performance. And the biggest compliment we can pay to the whole amazing pre/power set-up is that it’s every bit as good as you’d hope. This is one case where you really do get what you pay for."

Burmester_911_Front.jpg

Burmester_911_back.jpg

Burmester_911_innen.jpg

Tom

Mine looked better in black.;)

first off ,thank you Tom. this thread, until it was "hijacked", has been very informative and engaging. i have had a pair of 911s and a 077 single chasis preamp for evaluation, and this thread has been a great source for opinions, feedbacks ,etc.
it's great to have it back.

first off ,thank you Tom. this thread, until it was "hijacked", has been very informative and engaging. i have had a pair of 911s and a 077 single chasis preamp for evaluation, and this thread has been a great source for opinions, feedbacks ,etc.

Please do tell us, your opinions on the combo.

Mine looked better in black.;)

The first I saw and heard were also black .. My friend still has one of those first black models, after close to 20 years!! not a problem once ... I prefer the silver though ...

Please get the 948 power conditioner with that great combo.

I do have to say my 948 [Burmester power conditioner] is wonderful and am eventually going to get another one.

i have heard good things about this one...what did you compare to?

i have heard good things about this one...what did you compare to?

Hi Lloyd,

I have very limited experience with conditioners. I had several PS Audio power plant premiers, still have and love the PurePower APS 2000 which has the battery backup and gives me additional piece of mind. Before I installed new wiring and outlets in my room, I had excessive DC on my lines that would give me mechanical transformer hum on some of the many amps I've tried. The amount of DC has been reduced tremendously but not is not entirely gone. The 948 has a digital readout and actively eliminates the DC on everything hooked up to it. I notice the greatest effect when I get used to it, then turn of the active conditioning and hear the sound stage shrink and become more shallow. It's just amazing to me.

Hi Lloyd,

I have very limited experience with conditioners. I had several PS Audio power plant premiers, still have and love the PurePower APS 2000 which has the battery backup and gives me additional piece of mind. Before I installed new wiring and outlets in my room, I had excessive DC on my lines that would give me mechanical transformer hum on some of the many amps I've tried. The amount of DC has been reduced tremendously but not is not entirely gone. The 948 has a digital readout and actively eliminates the DC on everything hooked up to it. I notice the greatest effect when I get used to it, then turn of the active conditioning and hear the sound stage shrink and become more shallow. It's just amazing to me.

Joe,

Can you send me yours so I can compare it to my Sound Applications Reference?;) Good post and very informative.

---- Here's the true thing: I just threw that number freely out of my head (pure guess).
Now I just googled it, and low & behold the list price is exactly that! ...$30,000

...And of course you can get a second-hand one for half that price, or $15,000

---- Here's the true thing: I just threw that number freely out of my head (pure guess).
Now I just googled it, and low & behold the list price is exactly that! ...$30,000

...And of course you can get a second-hand one for half that price, or $15,000

The price will go up by about 5% two days from now.

Please do tell us, your opinions on the combo.

coming off the excellent vac tube gear ,the 911s and the 077 preamp had an immdiate distinction to its sound- fast and weighty. after a week oe so, the sound became more resolute and revealing but without being hyper- csi . also an added sweetness to the sound was quite prominent.

The burmester sound overall is very dynamic ,with a punchy ,yet detailed bass, with very pallable mids and sweet high frequencies that are especially noted in the sound of cymbals and strings.it lacks any of the harshness that many of my previous s/s exhibited.

i liked it so much that i ordered a pair of 909mk5 stereo, to be bi- amped vertically, and a 077 with a rps and a dac module. expected delivery- next week.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing