Can digital get to vinyl sound and at what price?

I once had Chris Feickert over at my place when they had the first commercial version of Adjust +. They measured my setup, which I did entirely myself just with a protractor, and declared that there was nothing to adjust…even VTA and Azimuth were spot on. Now I find my vision isn’t as good, so I have more difficulty getting it right…something like Adjust + would now be quite helpful.
I hear you fellow ageing audiophile!

Maybe you aren't ageing but I am, once what was easy to align is difficult and exasperating. I have a great friend and a retailer who are both very good at the finicky stuff and have most of the latest setup gear. So far my method has been to have them setup the system and then listen. Both are wonderful in coming back to tweak things.

I do have my tape running. I have one master tape of an album I love, and a digital file of the same album I made from a CD I copied with DB Poweramp. The tape is clearly better. But, that does not dismiss that any of the digital I have is playing way better in the new room than any source I had in the old room. The current setup, in this room has digital superior to the analog and tape in my old room.

I don't think it's an opinion in a vinyl/digital debate to say any source you focus on can be the most premium playback media in your system. The argument that you focused on vinyl and surpassed your digital is only a result in your room from your effort. It has nothing to do with other peoples results in their room with their efforts. I don't see one as better than the other. I see what you focus your efforts on and continue to tune will continue to improve. You might think you have a viny or tape that is better than digital, but someone could show up with a better digital with better source material and supersede your vinyl. Digital is amazingly musical, natural and real in my room. Far better than what I use to measure as Natural Sound and real in my old room. You may find your vinyl the best media in your system. That does not mean it could not be superseded by digital with appropriate effort and media.
" You may find your vinyl the best media in your system. That does not mean it could not be superseded by digital with appropriate effort and media."

To your above point I don't disagree. The exact opposite could be true though, vinyl could trump what you thought was the best digital sound ever with the appropriate effort and media. Around and around we go, really not sure what you are debating!

Im designing a new tone arm that automatically alignes the cartridge for optimum performance.

I'm also selling a bridge.

Reactions: Bones13

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing