Can digital get to vinyl sound and at what price?

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

D.Duttilleux

Apr 8, 2018
Reminds of an explanation of dark matter > "it's not dark and it doesn't matter".
...I used to be anti-matter, but I was cancelled.
From the same source also came the implicit confirmation - by a NASA (Artemis) employee, that 'we' have never actually been to the moon :eek:o_O

Am I surprised? Do I care? No, because I still enjoy the Apollo launch videos and the stories of people (on another forum) who witnessed it as a kid,
a few miles from the pad.

1710263346140.png 1710263082224.png

Last edited:

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
From the same source also came the implicit confirmation - by a NASA (Artemis) employee, that 'we' have never actually been to the moon :eek:o_O

LOL

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland

LP is not as far behind as you guys seem to think. According to this analysis the relative dynamics and peaks of analog are superior to digital even if the absolute dynamic range is not.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

LP is not as far behind as you guys seem to think. According to this analysis the relative dynamics and peaks of analog are superior to digital even if the absolute dynamic range is not.

As I said in my previous post this morning, not that the lower dynamic range of LP matters much in practice.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

He compares not in a scientifically rigorous manner based on significant sample sizes, but in an anecdotal manner specific manipulated reordings (certainly more manipulated than good classical recordings) on different formats and from there comes to his conclusions.

Not sure that these conclusions are worth much.

But yes, some very good LPs can sound dynamic as hell.

Reactions: Lee

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
He compares not in a scientifically rigorous manner based on significant sample sizes, but in an anecdotal manner specific manipulated reordings (certainly more manipulated than good classical recordings) on different formats and from there comes to his conclusions.

Not sure that these conclusions are worth much.

But yes, some very good LPs can sound dynamic as hell.
For me the main point is the noise floor of good LPs is surprisingly low and that the dynamic peaks of the LPs can be very high. I think it does demonstrate that there is a reason LP doesn't sound compromised dynamically despite the raw numbers disadvantage. It is not just nostalgia driving the LP resurgence.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
For me the main point is the noise floor of good LPs is surprisingly low and that the dynamic peaks of the LPs can be very high. I think it does demonstrate that there is a reason LP doesn't sound compromised dynamically despite the raw numbers disadvantage.

I can agree with that main point!

It is not just nostalgia driving the LP resurgence.

The LP resurgence is 95+ % based on digital recordings and/or materings, which is pointless when it comes to a putative "analog" experience. I do appreciate great sounding all-analog efforts like the new Tone Poet series by Blue Note. Yet such efforts are merely a niche in the current LP resurgence.

Reactions: PYP

D.Duttilleux

Apr 8, 2018
Analog recordings have unlimited bandwidth.
Digital audio uses sample rate and bit depth to reconstruct the analog signal in the digital realm, creating a fixed bandwidth.

These are the basic reasons why vinyl often tends to sound better in sophisticated setups. It's also the main reason behind the revival of tape.

However, if you are not an audiophile purist (> 80% of the music played at shows sucks) then digital is a great alternative.
A well thought out digital audio reproduction chain will beat a mediocre analog setup.

As far as I'm concerned, the glory of analog lies in the RCA era > simple 3 mic recording setups with minimal post processing.

1710332848847.png

Last edited:
Reactions: morricab

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Analog recordings have unlimited bandwidth.
Digital audio uses sample rate and bit depth to reconstruct the analog signal in the digital realm, creating a fixed bandwidth.

A fixed bandwidth applies to the human ear and to microphones as well. Especially the microphones in the golden era you mentioned were quite bandwidth limited, with severe rolloff after 15 kHz.

D.Duttilleux

Apr 8, 2018
A fixed bandwidth applies to the human ear and to microphones as well. Especially the microphones in the golden era you mentioned were quite bandwidth limited, with severe rolloff after 15 kHz.
Most loudspeakers at the time covered 50 -10.000 Hz

It's not about bandwidth per se, but how to (mis)use it.

There's a wealth of information available online. The year 1953 is particularly interesting.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I can agree with that main point!

The LP resurgence is 95+ % based on digital recordings and/or materings, which is pointless when it comes to a putative "analog" experience. I do appreciate great sounding all-analog efforts like the new Tone Poet series by Blue Note. Yet such efforts are merely a niche in the current LP resurgence.
You seem to be forgetting the literally millions of records produced before, say 1980, that are all analog. So, I don't agree with this assertion that 95% is based on digital recordings. Sure if someone is only buying new recordings on vinyl then you are right but that is not by any means the majority of recordings available on vinyl.

Reactions: Lagonda and PeterA

D.Duttilleux

Apr 8, 2018
Came across a thread about NOS DACs in which filtering and grounding were discussed.

Audio Note 1.1x, not the best but overall quite analog sounding.

1710334886441.png

It's quite minimalist, but the analog filtering is based on some cheap Philips MKT capacitors.

This is a prototype DAC board around the same chip, but with carefully selected (still cheap) parts for the filter:

1710335486218.png

Last edited:

D.Duttilleux

Apr 8, 2018
Peter Qvortrup knows how to finance his collection of Benzes, so you only get decent boards in your Audio Note DAC from level 3 and up.

This is the PCB used in level 4 and 5:

1710336074056.png

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Buy an old td 1541 dac used this nos bridge(remove philips sa digital filterchip)only the clock must wired(2 cable)to them. Sounds incredibile good

Then you put the old opamps out and use these at the specifications you need

Solder the socket into the mods, then you can sell it back in its original condition later if you don't like it

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
You seem to be forgetting the literally millions of records produced before, say 1980, that are all analog. So, I don't agree with this assertion that 95% is based on digital recordings. Sure if someone is only buying new recordings on vinyl then you are right but that is not by any means the majority of recordings available on vinyl.

The terms "LP resurgence" or "vinyl resurgence" are mostly associated with sales of new vinyl, as a quick google search will show.

Reactions: PYP

D.Duttilleux

Apr 8, 2018
Buy an old td 1541 dac used this nos bridge(remove philips sa digital filterchip)only the clock must wired(2 cable)to them. Sounds incredibile good

Then you put the old opamps out and use these at the specifications you need

Solder the socket into the mods, then you can sell it back in its original condition later if you don't like it

That's indeed a simple and elegant solution.
However, to get the most/best out of the TDA1541A requires quite an amount of work.

I like this one, but it's not exactly minimalist: 1710349509046.png

Reactions: DasguteOhr

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
The terms "LP resurgence" or "vinyl resurgence" are mostly associated with sales of new vinyl, as a quick google search will show.
Yeah with my daughter…probably not so much audiophiles

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing