Can one find realism in box speakers that cost less than $150K after experiencing dynamics of horns and horn-type speakers?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
My post wasn't specifically about horns, I responded to one that originally addressed planars.

Everybody has their own personal perceptions of sound, and their own priorities in sound reproduction. It is therefore excessively naive to assume that everyone would have the same opinions if they just were exposed to the same things and experiences.

In this context you conveniently ignored the second part of my post, my observation that different audiophiles sometimes hear the sound of the same live concert differently. This also holds if they are sitting next to one another, i.e. experience the sound from virtually the same vantage point.

I didn't ignore it. Different audiophiles have different observations about the same concert and they share the same experience so you can discuss the experiences. But you cannot discuss classical concert experience with someone who has watched a Bollywood movie. Different music. Therefore as a horn lover very tough to discuss with you Bollywood types, was my point

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I didn't ignore it. Different audiophiles have different observations about the same concert and they share the same experience so you can discuss the experiences. But you cannot discuss classical concert experience with someone who has watched a Bollywood movie. Different music. Therefore as a horn lover very tough to discuss with you Bollywood types, was my point

As I said I didn't talk about horns. But you will never concede a point. So be it.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Do we expect big box speakers to sound any good in such circumstances?
View attachment 53203
NOT easy for any type of speaker to sound their best under most show conditions but there are certain attributes one can pick up to know wether it's worth a 2nd look or not.

Edit- One caveat, I haven't been to Munich but have been to shows where electricity is bad across the board to the extent that everything sounds similar, congested and compressed.

david

Last edited:

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Compression or congestion or stress, whatever you want to call it, is more a problem related to the electronics.
Horns do have a advantage because of compression drivers...less distortion. You can do the same with dynamic speakers just takes some work and knowledge. YMMV

For sure you are in part right. I even experienced it firsthand in Munich ...and with a horn speaker no less. It was Cessaro Alphas with KR Audio Kronzillas. When the show shut down at 18:00 the sound got much more open (we were still running a bit after).

However, that system did nothing to help the power and I saw many with poor sound in the manner described with plenty of power treatment. So, some electronic s for sure

It is all relative...heard in isolation and at lower volumes many of these systems would sound darn good but after you hear the old WE system, Living Voice or Aries Cerat the rest sounds flat and congested and strained...

One nice exception was Live Act Audio, which uses profi Radian coaxial drivers. Seems high sensitivity comes with horn tweeter only can capture a lot of the magic in a room acceptable sized box. Voxativ in a back horn sounded alive as well but much more limited... Supravox high sensitivity comes/domes on an open baffle also held real promise...

At least what I can tell so far is you either go with high sensitivity (but not really single driver...too limited) horns or otherwise or HUGE surface area..,or both.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
For sure you are in part right. I even experienced it firsthand in Munich ...and with a horn speaker no less. It was Cessaro Alphas with KR Audio Kronzillas. When the show shut down at 18:00 the sound got much more open (we were still running a bit after).

However, that system did nothing to help the power and I saw many with poor sound in the manner described with plenty of power treatment. So, some electronic s for sure

It is all relative...heard in isolation and at lower volumes many of these systems would sound darn good but after you hear the old WE system, Living Voice or Aries Cerat the rest sounds flat and congested and strained...

One nice exception was Live Act Audio, which uses profi Radian coaxial drivers. Seems high sensitivity comes with horn tweeter only can capture a lot of the magic in a room acceptable sized box. Voxativ in a back horn sounded alive as well but much more limited... Supravox high sensitivity comes/domes on an open baffle also held real promise...

At least what I can tell so far is you either go with high sensitivity (but not really single driver...too limited) horns or otherwise or HUGE surface area..,or both.
Some of the best sound I have ever heard was in old movie theaters with Altec or WE horns. That though was with 35mm film and probably the best soundmen that ever lived.
It will always be about moving enough air to energize a space sufficiently.
Almost all the famous auditoriums use a combination of dynamic drivers for the low end and horns for the mids and highs.
You can improve the dispersion pattern of dynamic speakers though...can they come close to horns? Dynamic speakers can become invisible and fill a room with energy. Probably more dependent on the amount of amplifier power and size though and how clean the audio signal is.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
That brings up a good question about trade show hotel rooms rooms, is there anyway to energize them in an advantageous manner?
Well my room is 14x20 and then empties into another 1100 sqft. My system can energize the room and can also be too much if the power level
Is too much.
I would hate to achieve any kind of high SQ in a one or two day setup. It’s been a long time since i took part in a show setup. I would certainly use a system that had been together for at least 3 or 4 months or longer. I think slapping pieces together will give problems.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Some of the best sound I have ever heard was in old movie theaters with Altec or WE horns. That though was with 35mm film and probably the best soundmen that ever lived.
It will always be about moving enough air to energize a space sufficiently.
Almost all the famous auditoriums use a combination of dynamic drivers for the low end and horns for the mids and highs.
You can improve the dispersion pattern of dynamic speakers though...can they come close to horns? Dynamic speakers can become invisible and fill a room with energy. Probably more dependent on the amount of amplifier power and size though and how clean the audio signal is.

Theaters with WE & Altec horns :eek: how ancient are you Roger :)?

david

Reactions: RogerD

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Theaters with WE & Altec horns :eek: how ancient are you Roger :)?

david
Lol! Old enough to go to the Fox in San Francisco and many others.

Reactions: ddk

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
I’ll just throw this out there...how many dynamic (box) systems at the Munich show did the room disappear? The illusion produced seemed to have no boundaries, but produced a feeling of power and dynamics?
Try this album CD and see what performance level the system is at. Might not be optimized.The whole premise of the OP’s question is just so dependent on so many variables IMHO. 64BC397E-8C88-47BB-822D-5358C323547C.png

Last edited:

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
I had a thread asking for: Best contemporary speaker under $100k for Lamm ML2.x type amplifiers?
My favorite music is full scale orchestral / symphonic. My room is 20'x16.5'x8'. Current listending triangle ~11'.

Will the Roma do it for me with the ML2.2.?

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Sorry, really don't buy the 90-year old horn argument. We have much better technology and materials compared with slide rules back then.

Reactions: BlueFox

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Sorry, really don't buy the 90-year old horn argument. We have much better technology and materials compared with slide rules back then.

Yes. Nothing is static, especially this hobby.

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
IMHO, this hobby is as much art as it is science. Someone putting together a system 75 years ago could find the magic as well as someone today. Back to your goals/expectations. I’ve heard technically amazing systems that completely failed to move me.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA

I believe horns can sound good. I also believe they are the answer for a lot of people that are nearly deaf, as far as I can tell. Whenever I hear them they almost exclusively are very painful. I see no reason why, but so far... exceptions have been JBL/waveguide/volti/ and stuff I am not thinking about. (That doesn’t mean I like them per se)

Horns are legit in many technical ways, even more so than anything else in some technical ways. And some drivers I have heard sound fine in one setup, bad in another. So my basic conclusion is people like to match them with ear drill electronics. Not sure what else to think...

Their biggest downfall in technical terms is mostly size. But the subjective differences are, well, personal. I would say modern drivers for the horns are superior in technical ways but subjective mileage may vary.

parkcaka

Sep 11, 2016
Istanbul
We all ask different questions but we try to find the only answer. That’s impossible.

After 20 years of Focal, Magico, Wilson journey Diesis was a revelation for me. The case was not that Diesis was just a bit better. Diesis was something else entirely.

It was the answer for the question I asked. This is very personal. Different questions, different answers so we should’t waste time arguing who is right. We should share experiences instead.

By the way because my holy grail in this hobby was Diesis that doesn’t mean I am a ‘horn’ guy. I listened to some horns before Diesis and never liked them enough to sell my Magico or Wilson for them. Maybe open baffle woofers were what was missing, I don’t know. So I never look at the subject as horn vs box speakers. I don’t care if it is a box, planar or horn. I try to listen to everything without prejudice. This hobby can surprise you very easily.

I learn a lot from every one of you regardless of what you choose to be the best.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
You're talking tools and different materials while ignoring talent, engineering knowledge and experience which doesn't exist anymore! The slide rule that you readily dismiss were tools that took part in the inventions and creation of it all :).

david

Last edited:

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I’ll just throw this out there...how many dynamic (box) systems at the Munich show did the room disappear? The illusion produced seemed to have no boundaries, but produced a feeling of power and dynamics?
Try this album CD and see what performance level the system is at. Might not be optimized.The whole premise of the OP’s question is just so dependent on so many variables IMHO. View attachment 53207
Your assumption being they are all capable of disappearing and other speaker tech not??

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I had a thread asking for: Best contemporary speaker under $100k for Lamm ML2.x type amplifiers?
My favorite music is full scale orchestral / symphonic. My room is 20'x16.5'x8'. Current listending triangle ~11'.

Will the Roma do it for me with the ML2.2.?

Aries Cerat Symphonia will do it... not sure about US pricing but Europe starts at 85k.

Reactions: tima

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Your assumption being they are all capable of disappearing and other speaker tech not??
If they are sufficiently coherent and can image outside of the speaker...yes. Many speakers image well.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing