Can someone recommend a DAC for my system?

opus111

Banned
Feb 10, 2012
Hangzhou, China
I haven't actually heard one myself, though I've read plenty of reports (on Head-Fi for example) from people who have Kingwa's DACs. I do recommend the PCM1704 because its a multibit device. A person would need to appreciate multibit sound - not everyone does. Actually the list price of a PCM1704 is now $50 so eight comes to $400 - not the best bang for the buck I must say :p

Jmorello

Sep 9, 2012
Thank you all for your advice. However I am left overwhelm with the amount of recommendations...

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
If you are amenable to buying used the prefect wave mkII is a good alternative. There are quit fare for sale used for 2000. If it disappoints are you want to try something else you can always resell with a small loss. Read this months review in tas. Don't usually care much for reviews but it can't be that bad if a reviewer raves about it.

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland
Best bargain Dac I,ve ever heard is a Dared EF-99 I use one on my desktop to feed my tannoy AMS8 active monitors
in the UK bit more expensive than as a squeezebox 2 box valve ( sorry tube ) with external Psu Usb dac , great headphone amp , pre amp , ipod & blutooth
with 1wpc amp can even drive my 100db horns , tiny unit and its sooooo cute as well also use the matching FM/Dab tuner & 50wpc hybrid integrated for a cracking little micro system

Attachments

• EF-99.jpg
    EF-99.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 683
  • dared DT-99.jpg
    dared DT-99.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 663
  • dared PA-99.jpg
    dared PA-99.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 669

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
How much and how fast can you ship to Canada, Quebec, Montreal.

-----Jonathan, tu parles Francais? :b

P.S. PM Amir. ...It is faster that way to get a reply, and he also can tell you more about, plus your options in case you are not fully satisfied. :b

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Also check this thread out. Many votes for the metrum octave.

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?ddgtl&1346257957&&&/What-is-the-best-sounding-DAC-at-$2000-$

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I have heard good things about Lampizator...but have never heard myself.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada

Jmorello

Sep 9, 2012
-----Jonathan, tu parles Francais? :b

P.S. PM Amir. ...It is faster that way to get a reply, and he also can tell you more about, plus your options in case you are not fully satisfied. :b

Yes I speak french. You are a fellow Canadian too!

Jonathan

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Jonathan,
Tell us a little about your music collection. Do you have any DSD? Do you care to listen to DSD? If not, I would recommend a quality DAC that implements a multi-bit DAC chip as previously mentioned. If you do listen to DSD or own a bunch of SACDs, you should prolly consider the Mytek or the Playback Designs.

Jmorello

Sep 9, 2012
Jonathan,
Tell us a little about your music collection. Do you have any DSD? Do you care to listen to DSD? If not, I would recommend a quality DAC that implements a multi-bit DAC chip as previously mentioned. If you do listen to DSD or own a bunch of SACDs, you should prolly consider the Mytek or the Playback Designs.

Sorry... What is DSD and SACD? Basically I don't understand much of all you are telling me... I am just a regular guy that wanted nice sound. This is all informative and learning so much. I listen to a lot of rap, RnB, love rocknroll - rolling stones, some nice jazz. I also like gipsy kings sometimes.

So does that answer your question?

Jonathan

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Sorry... What is DSD and SACD? Basically I don't understand much of all you are telling me... I am just a regular guy that wanted nice sound. This is all informative and learning so much. I listen to a lot of rap, RnB, love rocknroll - rolling stones, some nice jazz. I also like gipsy kings sometimes.

So does that answer your question?

Jonathan

So you don't need DSD. We are also all regular guys, whatever that means and we also like nice sound :)

@ Dallsjustice, assist from me :)

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
There are two digital formats. DSD and PCM. DSD is single bit and PCM is multi-bit, either 16bit, 24bit or 32bit. Most folks listen to music ripped from CDs which are 16bit PCM. DSD format can be downloaded but is primarily found on discs called SACDs. Some folks (not me) think DSD is always a "superior" format. I guess you would have to listen for yourself to decide which format you like best and with which gear. There is no absolute best format, IME.

Based on my experience, DACs generally have their sweet spot. That is, some DACs do DSD really awesome but PCM just good. Other DACs do PCM really awesome but can't do DSD at all or do DSD less well.

Jmorello

Sep 9, 2012
Jonathan,

So you don't need DSD. We are also all regular guys, whatever that means and we also like nice sound :)

@ Dallsjustice, assist from me :)

No, you are not regular guys... You are all extremely highly knowledgeable guys that put entry guys like me to shame. Lol I have a lot to learn.

So why do you advise I don't need a DAC?

Jmorello

Sep 9, 2012
Jonathan,

There are two digital formats. DSD and PCM. DSD is single bit and PCM is multi-bit, either 16bit, 24bit or 32bit. Most folks listen to music ripped from CDs which are 16bit PCM. DSD format can be downloaded but is primarily found on discs called SACDs. Some folks (not me) think DSD is always a "superior" format. I guess you would have to listen for yourself to decide which format you like best and with which gear. There is no absolute best format, IME.

Based on my experience, DACs generally have their sweet spot. That is, some DACs do DSD really awesome but PCM just good. Other DACs do PCM really awesome but can't do DSD at all or do DSD less well.

Ok, now I am starting to understand. I haven't played a CD in a while. Even in my car I have very few CD. I plug in my ipod or iphone, ect. All my music is downloaded. So I guess is need something good for PCM. Is that correct?

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Yes. You are a PCM guy. :D

If you are going to spend several thousand dollars on a good DAC, it's best to listen to files originally derived from a totally lossless format. eg. FLAC, WAV, AIFF. On the other hand, the AAC and other compressed formats can still sound pretty great, but you will notice that you are leaving a little bit on the table listening to compressed formats.

opus111

Banned
Feb 10, 2012
Hangzhou, China

That music is rhythmic music, so I suggest you don't go for an S-D based DAC or one that natively handles DSD (normally the same thing). You'd be better served with multibit. But you also don't use CD so you need a multibit DAC with a well-implemented USB input. Depending on your budget you might try AMR. Although Audio-gd is great value I can't recommend it when you need its USB input. However it might well be fine if used with an external USB-SPDIF converter but that's another box to clutter up your living space.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing