Car audio by car maker

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
has anyone done a post about stock car audio systems sound by car maker
?
over the years a growing list of past cars seems to create a sound by maker to me

Mercedes has yet to impress me on there sound
I had many
Lexus seems to car and most all had to me sounded good stock

nissan not so much odd

Cadillac now seems to care
my Blackwing sounds pretty good for car

wife's Toyota stinks

bmw is above Mercedes but a close race to low end sound to me

this is nit based on features or Bluetooth phone sound
but a car sourced on phone Bluetooth Can be good

i would like to read others thoughts
thanks in advance

tmallin

WBF Technical Expert
May 19, 2010
Chicagoland
I agree about BMW audio systems. I had a string of 3-series Bimmers in the first two decades of the century. The Blaupunkt audio systems in them were worse than mediocre, especially considering the mechanical and aesthetic excellence of those automobiles.

Then I got a 2016 Acura RDX with top-of-the-line trim including a Logitech sound system with DTS stereo surround processing. That was MUCH better. I no longer suffered the slings and arrows of outrageous stereos on my 45-minute commute.

But now I have a 2020 Mazda CX-5 in the top-level Signature trim and its stereo blows away even that of the Acura. It is sonically unobjectionable and downright enjoyable on any type of music, especially via CarPlay, but even garden variety Sirius/XM satellite radio and either analog or HD FM radio. I found this hard to believe given that it is a Bose system, but two and a half years in, I enjoy it as much as ever. Just turn off the Bose "features," such as Centerpoint and dynamic processing. In its basic format, it needs no bass, treble, left/right, or fader tweaking for best sound from the driver's seat.

All car stereos sound better in some seating positions than others. It's like finding a good listening spot in your home listening room. For the Mazda I've found that it sounds best when I adjust my seating position the way the factory instructions say to do it. Yes, Mazda has detailed instructions for this and it really makes a difference in terms of sound quality, comfort in seating, and visibility of your surroundings.

This Mazda CX-5 also has by far the best navigation system I've found built into a car, at least on a par with Google Maps. The screen, unlike most nav systems, tells you constantly both what street you are on and all the cross streets. There is a narrow window at the top of the screen which calls out the next cross street as you go along. Very handy if you don't quite trust the audible directions--which you can trust, but I like to trust AND verify.

Reactions: Alrainbow

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
How does your cars sound windows closed to open
not even moving ?
maybe it’s me but my Cadillac changes big time
same if too much stuff in the trunk

tmallin

WBF Technical Expert
May 19, 2010
Chicagoland
Both definitely adversely affect sound quality, whether the car is moving or not. For best sound, the car windows must be closed and the trunk mostly empty.

Reactions: Alrainbow

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
We test rode other smaller SUV models from Genesis, Infinity, Lexus, Mercedes, and for us the best ride was the Acura. We purchased an Acura RDX ASpec today. A small SUV which my wife enjoys driving the most.

The sound system actually sounds good for a SUV. Call me somewhat impressed by its performance.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing