Cartridgeman Stylusforce Gauge DFG420

andrew.bargery

Mar 5, 2024
Devon, UK
I have a Cartridgeman Stylusforce Gauge, little used for some years. It seems that it is need of some TLC. Although the charging light illuminates, the rechargeable battery cannot take or retain a charge. Carefully taking the gauge apart reveals a rather oddly shaped 9v battery (which has leaked a little).
Does anyone know what make/type this is, any part number, and whether or not it can be replaced with either an identical battery or a more conventional one?
Many thanks for any advice.
Kind regards
Andrew

Attachments

• IMG_9948.jpeg
    IMG_9948.jpeg
    789.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_9946.jpeg
    IMG_9946.jpeg
    667.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_9945.jpeg
    IMG_9945.jpeg
    731.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_9944.jpeg
    IMG_9944.jpeg
    788.2 KB · Views: 17

Nemal1

Dec 9, 2018
Have you tried an online search for this or similar?
I used to have the same gauge but it “disappeared” a long time ago.

andrew.bargery

Mar 5, 2024
Devon, UK
Have you tried an online search for this or similar?
I used to have the same gauge but it “disappeared” a long time ago.
Hello Nemal1, Thank you for your advice. I have searched online for 9v batteries of this specification but, apparently without exception, they are all the conventional rectangular type. The Stylusgauge battery is round-ish (see my illustration) and unlike anything I have found. I’m hoping that someone from that era (2002-2020) will know what I’m looking for…but I fear that they may all be dead by now!
All suggestions welcome.
Best wishes
Andrew

Nemal1

Dec 9, 2018
Hi Andrew,

I’ve tried searching for you as well, including you tube..regrettably without success.
it may be time to purchase a new one unfortunately, you may even be able to borrow one for a short time if not in regular use?

andrew.bargery

Mar 5, 2024
Devon, UK
Tha
Hi Andrew,

I’ve tried searching for you as well, including you tube..regrettably without success.
it may be time to purchase a new one unfortunately, you may even be able to borrow one for a short time if not in regular use?

Thank you for trying! It’s rather bizarre isn’t it to use such an unusual type of bespoke battery when the world is awash with conventional examples. I suppose the Cartridgeman (aka Len Gregory) must have had a good reason to use that type as all his products were superb examples of the art. I shall live in hope that someone, somewhere can enlighten me.
BW
Andrew

Nemal1

Dec 9, 2018
Good luck Andrew. Totally agree with your comments but sadly Len is no longer around to explain.

andrew.bargery

Mar 5, 2024
Devon, UK

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing