Cello Videos

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
There hasn't been a video thread for a long time.

So cello focused only

If you put videos in search, and check the Search Titles Only box, you will find the other interesting threads on videos

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Reactions: Scott Naylor

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Reactions: jespera

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
2 different Bach cello recordings here played through the same system. Shows transparency to recordings

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
What’s the source Ked, it’s very flat sounding lacking any harmonics and overtones. It’s the same in both videos.

david

Kedar will have to confirm but pretty sure it is the Sikora Reference Turntable.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Kedar will have to confirm but pretty sure it is the Sikora Reference Turntable.
I’m not familiar with any of these components Bill just assuming the fault lies with the front end but I could be wrong. There’s also the hollow tunnel effect of speakers to get past in these videos.

david

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I’m not familiar with any of these components Bill just assuming the fault lies with the front end but I could be wrong. There’s also the hollow tunnel effect of speakers to get past in these videos.

david

What do you mean by hollow tunnel effect, David?

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Listen to the hollowness and slight echo around the violin and specially the piano in the 2nd video, you can easily hear that they’re forced through a pipe or a vent with eyes closed.

david

Exactly - I hear the exact same thing, David. Useful that you put some vocab to this.

Reactions: ddk

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
  • Haha
Reactions: Al M. and ddk

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

david

These particular videos don't sound that good on it I actually posted it to contrast the strength of the dual woofer FLH of the Altec on the same track.

This is an older version of pnoe smaller slightly than the general's but the speaker was always very sensitive to set up. It usually show cases problems till it is spot on

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
These particular videos don't sound that good on it I actually posted it to contrast the strength of the dual woofer FLH of the Altec on the same track.

This is an older version of pnoe smaller slightly than the general's but the speaker was always very sensitive to set up. It usually show cases problems till it is spot on
Let’s get serious here Ked those speakers are a plastic pipe with a driver stuck at one end, what setup:)?

david

• Haha
Reactions: Audiophile Bill

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Let’s get serious here Ked those speakers are a plastic pipe with a driver stuck at one end, what setup:)?

david

That's one way of looking at it, the simplicity of the best driver in a one way, so no crossover is another. Backloaded horns have challenges timing the bass from one mouth to the upper frequency of the other mouth that needs to be managed

Reactions: Audiophile Bill

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Managed by adjusting speaker position?

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
That's one way of looking at it, the simplicity of the best driver in a one way, so no crossover is another. Backloaded horns have challenges timing the bass from one mouth to the upper frequency of the other mouth that needs to be managed
Well, these aren’t WEs nor have anything managed that I hear. Simplicity is great when it’s real engineers involved you’re literally listening to a plastic pipe with a driver and it sounds like it too.

david

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Well, these aren’t WEs nor have anything managed that I hear. Simplicity is great when it’s real engineers involved you’re literally listening at a plastic pipe with a driver and it sounds like it too.

david

No not in this video but they have been great in other forms in person (and awful as well like in Munich). Why they never did as well in videos I do not know. Not the best of WE but close and smaller size

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Managed by adjusting speaker position?

They are surprisingly room sensitive, as in they sound flat in corners and muffled. But the key when you have no cross over is to take advantage of the nuance it is capable of and the high dynamic range so all electronics have to suit. Nuance and agility should not be suppressed anywhere in the chain. It does not do well with poor source or recordings and the bass cam sometime go off time with high unless right amp is used. I never really heard it sound good except with Mayer 46, and red sparrow and linear tracker and great records. And I have heard it with 6 amps plus Munich. I understand there is a possibility to hear with new electronics now that work wonders so at some point in the future hope to listen.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing