How to Assemble a High-End Audio System

exupgh12

Jul 30, 2019
If you've ever attended a concert or live performance, you know that different seating locations can offer different sound experiences. Some people prefer to sit up front, while others prefer to sit in the back. There's no right or wrong answer, but it's interesting to think about how our preferences can affect the way we enjoy music.

My friend always sits in the middle of the first three rows at concerts. He says this is the best place to experience the sound the way he likes it, and his home audio system is set up to replicate this experience. I, on the other hand, prefer to sit at the end of the first third of the hall or park. I find that I can hear the music better from this location.

Of course, our seating preferences are just one factor affecting how we perceive sound. The recording quality of the music we listen to also plays a role. So, if you're looking to improve the sound of your home audio system, it's essential to consider all of these factors.

chuck

Dec 19, 2011
San Diego
I did not mean to upset you, Chuck!
Not upset at all, as stated, liked the jab. I take it as an acknowledgement that Boulder/YG is highly detailed, which it certainly is. But contrary to what some might think, it is not at all edgy, and the most musically engaging system that I have heard. For a system that has virtually no distortion, an aburdly low noise floor and is very fast like the Boulder/YG, if there is edginess or an unengaging sound it is coming from the source. My system did have that edginess on digital for a long time and I listened to mostly analog, which did not -- proving it was the source. The digital issue was solved by the Playback Designs MPD8.

My question is if the musicians and recording engineers put sound on a recording, wouldn't you want to hear it? All of it? If the system is scrubbing detail for a certain sound (aka distortion), to me that gets boring quick. Records then all have a sound added by the amp and/or preamp which inevitably leads to favoring only recordings that benefit from that sound. For Ron who says he only listens to about a dozen records, perhaps that works. But seems it would be a self-reinforcing loop.

A recording, even of a live concert, is not the same thing as sitting in the audience at the concert, no matter where you sit. The microphones will pick up different (more?) sound than anyone sitting in the audience, from very different positions, either amongst the musicians or above them. Then the engineers go to work listening to the recorded microphone tracks through speakers and create the record. I focus on playing back what is on the recording completely, not what i hear at a live event since that is not on the recording.

Just my 2 cents.

itay123

Mar 5, 2023
I very much agree with Ron's video,
regarding the type of "gear" Ron means and what mine actually also missing, it's mainly depth, involvement, connected and emotionally integrated.

Last edited:

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
how much or how it’s too sound is an endless debate and I doubt it is what this topic should be
room size only allows but so much hall or studio effect we can have.
a small room means more direct less refraction so I’m thinking less ambience
if there is one thing very few headphones can give us it’s ambient sound.
Yea some get a part of it and open wing gives us more
I’m sure someone will say something about it but it’s a fact if I’m asked.
a larger room yields more amounts of what I call ambience.
and to me this is not about details it’s just how I hear things.
what we each call euphoria is individual emotion and ill Guess ten people in the same room don’t hear it perfectly the same.
I just watched a complete video first time I could he is a reviewer and commented on dart preamp and a boulder preamp.
right or wrong he did make truthful comments on what he hears.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing