CH Precision 10 series

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
It's a war zone because some of us push back on the BS from you and your disciples (or are they shills)?

Ian, we agree it has become a contentious and often unpleasant place lately. What exactly is the BS to which you are referring? Could you be very specific? And why would you state that customers and friends of a dealer are disciples and shills? What do you mean by this?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Ron, have you described what sonic attributes you love from tube gear? If not, how would these guys be able to tell you anything, puzzling you or not?

I have no idea how to answer your question. These guys all own today CH having owned some tubes before. I don’t know what speakers they all own. I do not know anyone, let alone “heavy hitting audiophiles”, who own Vitavox CN-191 speakers. Why would anyone use CH with them? Do these guys all now use CH on speakers that they drove with 18 watt SETs? The question makes no sense to me? What is your point? Heavy hitting audiophiles is pretty funny. Good one.

I never asked “these guys” to tell me anything. I was simply responding to you asking me what I was puzzled about.

You’re popping decoy flares to avoid answering my simple hypothetical question: “Would you be puzzled if audiophiles who have your speakers switched from low power SETs to CH amplifiers to drive your speakers?”

If the question makes no sense to you, I respect that and we can drop it.

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I want to hear the constructive comments on your appropriation quote as it relates to sound and audio systems! You haven't even explained the meaning your Natural Sound TM, what's constructive about it in audio terms? I asked you many time but you never answered. Anyone who uses it is basically in a personal capacity and nothing to do with audio. You'd debate the system if your intention for debate was genuine and not make it all personal.

david

I explained it so many times that people are now also using it with the exact meaning - identifying a specific preference. You always try to switch discussion to semantic debates, sorry it is not my interest.

Can I suggest you to read most of the forum, not just the posts that use the word "natural"? ;)

Reactions: MadFloyd and Al M.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) Would you be puzzled if audiophiles who have your speakers switched from low power SETs to CH amplifiers to drive your speakers?” (....)

Using a concept often referred by Ralph Karsten of Atmasphere I would not expect a speaker that seems to belong to the power paradigm to sound great with an amplifier of the voltage paradigm such as the CH at high feedback. But the CH has variable damping and we do not have full measurements on the very low feedback mode.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
I explained it so many times that people are now also using it with the exact meaning - identifying a specific preference. You always try to switch discussion to semantic debates, sorry it is not my interest.

Can I suggest you to read most of the forum, not just the posts that use the word "natural"? ;)
You haven’t explained anything. I reply directly to your posts but you don’t come back with responses and this is another post you avoided a response to my questions.
david

jbrrp1

Aug 3, 2020
For all the back and forth recently on this, I have to admit Ron, I also was most intrigued by what was taking Gian and Jack (as well as Arnie) in this direction. Andy Payor was already a big fan of Gryphon so I could not consider him a dyed-in-the-wool SET fan. I have actually had the pleasure of meeting MadFloyd but could not read that he was necessarily dyed-in-the-wool SET, pure tube-only.

But Gian has been a rarified owner of so many exceptional tubed pieces (Kondo, Riviera, etc), and JackD201 a long-time Lamm owner. So I asked Jack about CH. My recollection is that he said that something to the effect of some tube-fans actually hear/love something perhaps slightly different in SET tubes than what others might seek -- specifically that it was not necessarily humane warmth of SET, but its crystalline purity that he admired and craved...and THAT was something that at least Jack had found in the CH SS which he found revelatory.

I suppose some might describe FM Acoustics in a not dissimilar fashion and by extension Dartzeel. I have not heard CH myself, but I have heard FMA in our system at home and could quite see the allure in its crystalline purity up top.

I read between the lines of Arnie's communications something similar though less sure of that.
A more recent system for me was Lampi 211 amps powering Teresonic Ingenium Silver XR's, and I would have to say that the attribute I loved most was a sort of "lit from within" luminosity of sound sources, which came from an element of "crystalline purity". But it has a purity that I find rather complete, fleshing out the whole development of attack/sustain/decay in a way that feels like live music to me. Those speakers matched very well with tubes, and I liked it as an alternate take on music making.

My wife essentially insisted that I not keep a separate system perpetually in storage in our basement, so I had to choose one system to keep, and I chose the TAD CR-1's because they better suited the full range of all genres that I enjoy. And, for me, they have a truer total voice, albeit a demanding one for matching system. I like their "crystalline purity", when properly driven, which the CHP 10 series does very nicely. They certainly are not romantic - - they don't make every recording inviting, let's say, but they don't drive me away from my flawed recordings at all. They just show them for what they are sonically, and you get to enjoy the music that they still bring. Of course, a great recording adds the sonic thrill to complement the musical involvement, making both my mimic's ear and musical lover's heart happy!

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
In an effort to de-couple this thread specifically about CH Precision from the natural sound discussion, I just wrote a post on Peter’s natural sound thread.

See you over there!:)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
For all the back and forth recently on this, I have to admit Ron, I also was most intrigued by what was taking Gian and Jack (as well as Arnie) in this direction. Andy Payor was already a big fan of Gryphon so I could not consider him a dyed-in-the-wool SET fan. I have actually had the pleasure of meeting MadFloyd but could not read that he was necessarily dyed-in-the-wool SET, pure tube-only.

But Gian has been a rarified owner of so many exceptional tubed pieces (Kondo, Riviera, etc), and JackD201 a long-time Lamm owner. So I asked Jack about CH. My recollection is that he said that something to the effect of some tube-fans actually hear/love something perhaps slightly different in SET tubes than what others might seek -- specifically that it was not necessarily humane warmth of SET, but its crystalline purity that he admired and craved...and THAT was something that at least Jack had found in the CH SS which he found revelatory.

I suppose some might describe FM Acoustics in a not dissimilar fashion and by extension Dartzeel. I have not heard CH myself, but I have heard FMA in our system at home and could quite see the allure in its crystalline purity up top.

I read between the lines of Arnie's communications something similar though less sure of that.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts here.

I did not mean to imply that Andy Payor or Arnie were fans of SET amplifiers. I mentioned them because I believe they formerly had high-power, push-pull tube amps.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
No David, you seldom reply directly to my posts - you masterly try to switch the subject in another direction. And remember that we are abusively having this discussion in this thread only after post #198 https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/ch-precision-10-series.32193/post-822074
This was the question to you when I replied directly to your post but continue avoid responding! That link was part of a chain nothing to do with this one, why don't you answer directly instead of irrelevant posts that have nothing to do with what I asked about your comments?
I want to hear the constructive comments on your appropriation quote as it relates to sound and audio systems! You haven't even explained the meaning your Natural Sound TM, what's constructive about it in audio terms? I asked you many time but you never answered. Anyone who uses it is basically in a personal capacity and nothing to do with audio. You'd debate the system if your intention for debate was genuine and not make it all personal.

david

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
This was the question to you when I replied directly to your post but continue avoid responding! That link was part of a chain nothing to do with this one, why don't you answer directly instead of irrelevant posts that have nothing to do with what I asked about your comments?

david

Because I have answered several times before. BTW are not the moderrator of natural debates, even if you write in blue - I am not interested in personal discussion, but on the main ideas on the audio thread. I will follow it in another thread, as suggested by Ron.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Because I have answered several times before. BTW are not the moderrator of natural debates, even if you write in blue - I am not interested in personal discussion, but on the main ideas on the audio thread. I will follow it in another thread, as suggested by Ron.
You keep saying it but where's the TM explanation as it relates to sound and not personal attacks. Your appropriation comment was nothing but personal yet you say you're not interested in personal exchanges, how big of you!

david

Reactions: tima

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Ian, we agree it has become a contentious and often unpleasant place lately. What exactly is the BS to which you are referring? Could you be very specific? And why would you state that customers and friends of a dealer are disciples and shills? What do you mean by this?
I'll be blunt. Peter, there are people who feel that you are being compensated for your praise of certain gear because it brings a certain dealer more business. Obviously this is pure speculation/gossip or whatever you want to call it, but it's not an uncommon practice. As for BS, many of us feel that pretty much anything that comes out of a certain dealer's mouth is disinformation (mostly because it's viewed as preposterous), aimed at elevating this person's expertise to a level beyond the competition and creating the mystique of a guru with elite cult-like status.

The membership on this forum includes many who make money here. This includes dealers who will swear you are the ONLY person that didn't hear the 'magic' of their product when in fact this is the opposite of the truth (and so easily corroborated by talking to others) that for the most part this forum is not much different from an audio magazine with reviews designed to sell product. It's as much a marketplace as it is anything else and with audio, where nothing is truly measurable and very subjective, many audiophiles can be easily manipulated.

Reactions: ashandger

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I don't follow why SET is being tied to natural... Just because some gear is SET that sounds natural certainly does not make it all. I've heard SET sound from weird to out right bizarre before.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
It's a war zone because some of us push back on the BS from you and your disciples (or are they shills)?

Yes, I am a shill for using the sound of live acoustic instruments as a reference for gauging my stereo.

But I am curious about the BS part. What do think is BS or otherwise dissemblance or false? If you want to throw this out there it is only reasonable to ask what exactly do you mean?

As for BS, many of us feel that pretty much anything that comes out of a certain dealer's mouth is disinformation (mostly because it's viewed as preposterous), aimed at elevating this person's expertise to a level beyond the competition and creating the mystique of a guru with elite cult-like status.

What is preposterous? Anything "a certain dealer" says? Why not skip the cheesy inuendo and say who you mean, otherwise I assume you're talking about David (@ddk). I don't think you know him. I suggest you look through a few threads in this section of WBF: https://www.whatsbestforum.com/forums/david-karmeli-discusses-5-reference-turntables-forum.356/ to see what others have to say -- do you see people making the sorts of claims you are? Is there the slightest possibility you are misjudging him?

I'll be blunt. Peter, there are people who feel that you are being compensated for your praise of certain gear because it brings a certain dealer more business. Obviously this is pure speculation/gossip or whatever you want to call it, but it's not an uncommon practice.
The membership on this forum includes many who make money here. This includes dealers who will swear you are the ONLY person that didn't hear the 'magic' of their product when in fact this is the opposite of the truth (and so easily corroborated by talking to others) that for the most part this forum is not much different from an audio magazine with reviews designed to sell product. It's as much a marketplace as it is anything else and with audio, where nothing is truly measurable and very subjective, many audiophiles can be easily manipulated.

Beyond third-party dealers who sell products via ads or forum posts, you should recognize that WBF is a business. Probably a profit making business. There is a sophisticated technological infrastructure that supports our ability to particpate here and it is not cheap to maintain the service or the people who support it. There are no user fees to participate. People pay to advertise.

Advertisers hope to get business from their ads but what they want most is exposure of their products to this audience -- and they want some evidence of that exposure. One of the most common 'proofs' of exposure is user counts on the pages where their ad is displayed. It is not by accident that a thread about speakers will have ads about speakers. In rough terms, WBF's product is eyeballs. It sells viewership to advertisers.

The higher the eyeball count the more likely ads will be placed here. Ask yourself what draws in viewers. Among other things that would be: a) discussion of products in which a user has an interest, b) the opportunity to socialize with others with common interests, c) contention, heated discussion, arguments -- accidents draw gawkers.

The rules/guidelines here are pretty wide open and you can say almost anything without curse or open slander. Moderation ebbs and flows. Why do you think certain people consistently create threads about products in which it is highly likely they have no genuine interest -- sometimes known as click-bait? Eyeballs. Why do you think contentiousness is not discouraged? Eyeballs.

None of this is nefarious or underhanded -- just recognize it for what it is. It would not surprise me that certain members are compensated for their participation, but that is pure speculation on my part. As you suggest, it is common elsewhere.

It is also the case that some people here are steady contributors and helpful, and some are steady consumers, some do a little of both some mostly kibitz and joke and few whine a lot.

Madfloyd, I'll give you credit for being blunt although I don't believe an accusation that Peter is bought. That is based on my reading his posts and through personal interaction with him. David is very successful and he does not need Peter to 'sell' for him. Disagree with him or any of us as you will. I think charging him with being a shill steps over a line.

Reactions: wil and ddk

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Shit @PeterA . You are one lucky dude. I was offered a pair of Eurodyn with baffle and every thing. Field coil too. From a Japanese original owner at half the price of what I am paying. May be I forgot to officially apply for The Natural Sound TM discount. :D

• Haha
Reactions: PeterA and tima

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
I don't follow why SET is being tied to natural... Just because some gear is SET that sounds natural certainly does not make it all. I've heard SET sound from weird to out right bizarre before.

Maybe it doesn't follow because it's not the case. I don't think anyone says natural is the exclusive province of SETs. They can be an example. I use SS class A, push-pull Lamm M1.2s which are not SETs and I consider them capable of supporting natural sound. I also heard them sounding natural on horns in Utah. There are other topologies that can sound natural besides SETs.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Hi...I just wanted to let you know I am going to PM you about something specific. Look forward to speaking offline.
Hello I replied to you the best i could .
I had a bit trouble of finding your post again because of all the spam on this CH thread

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
I'll be blunt. Peter, there are people who feel that you are being compensated for your praise of certain gear because it brings a certain dealer more business. Obviously this is pure speculation/gossip or whatever you want to call it, but it's not an uncommon practice. As for BS, many of us feel that pretty much anything that comes out of a certain dealer's mouth is disinformation (mostly because it's viewed as preposterous), aimed at elevating this person's expertise to a level beyond the competition and creating the mystique of a guru with elite cult-like status.
Peter can speak for himself but since this is aimed at me I’ll respond myself. First, ridiculous as it is I prefer the candor Ian and I have no problem with what you said about me. I can guess the source of these accusations and his reasons but I do care about Peter, it’s the 2nd time tonight that you accuse him of shilling. Use your head Peter’s your friend what is it exactly that I sell to need a Shill for? Audiophile wires that I don’t sell, acoustic treatments or tweaks that I don’t sell, electronics and speakers that I don’t carry, services that I don’t charge for or is it the recommendations of high value gear that can easily found on the net? What I control are the products I manufacture, they‘re exclusive, limited and highly desirable, I decide who gets them including parts of my collection. they’re not offered to anyone and they generally sold out far in advance of production.

As for expertise some of us have it, very broad experience and decades of it. A lot more than a dude stuffing a roll of store bought cable in pantyhose. You better get specific about my misinformation, you’re a beneficiary some might think you stupid for listening to me. I’ll be blunt now. I don’t care for you or your insults and even less of your feelings for me and that includes your entire TM gang. It doesn’t matter why you’re going off like this when aside from a dinner we never had any interaction, perhaps this is who you are.

WBF is a unique forum where audiophiles and the industry have direct access to one another. Participation and engagement is voluntary beneficial to both sides, have you not taken advantage of this relasionship?

david

Reactions: Ron Resnick

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hello I replied to you the best i could .
I had a bit trouble of finding your post again because of all the spam on this CH thread
Yes, you did reply. Thank you!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing