Chronosonic XVX.

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy
Are we all forgetting that audio, esp at this level is a recipe. Yep, components and materials that measure well have the advantage. But if a so-called "worse" material sounds better in synergy w the rest of the design, you'd be stupid not to choose it. Designer bias means all. I guess if the customer doesn't like the sound, he doesn't rate the bias either.

This is not how good engineering works. You don’t soften the tires to fix bad suspension design. You design the suspension right to begin with, that is if you know what you are doing...

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
I think what most are not mentioning / thinking about is that the bar has risen significantly over the past 15 years or so reflected in lower distortion, less cabinet resonance and ultimately higher transparency and ability to get closer to the source recording. Once at these higher levels it becomes more about subjective designer taste than specs and charts. The Wilson video above is an example of that. If you don't like what Dave and son like, then you probably don't like the Wilson sound.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
The WAMM absolutely is installed directly by Wilson Audio. I just don’t happen to know if the XVX will be installed directly by Wilson Audio as well.

It seems to me that at this price level, Wilson should do the install. Heck, I did a far better setup of my X-2.2 at my old house than the dealer did during original setup.

Reactions: bonzo75

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
If you don't like what Dave and son like, then you probably don't like the Wilson sound.

IMO this is the common denominator of any component whether it be for speakers or electronics. Isn't this what this hobby is all about.People are drawn to the sound that they find most sonically pleasing What it is NOT all about is the constant bashing by one person. Cannata, if you have nothing new to add after 5 years I encourage you to direct your anger in a different direction because enough is enough

as for Wilson bashing, IMO cannata is the proverbial poster boy for leading the charge. A review of his posts here at WBF reflect an inherent hatred for Wilson audio and IMO he merely adds fodder to an otherwise good thread and before you know it he inflects his Magico vs Wilson position which we have heard so many times over the past 5 years

Cannata..we get you message but truthfully after 5 years it is becoming quite boring

This is a thread about the Wilson XVX, not a thread for you to once again brow beat the readers.

Steve Williams

It seems to me that at this price level, Wilson should do the install. Heck, I did a far better setup of my X-2.2 at my old house than the dealer did during original setup.

Did I read somewhere in the press release by Wilson Audio on the XVX that only select Wilson dealers will sell the XVX. I seem to remember the same when the X2 was initially released

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy
IMO this is the common denominator of any component whether it be for speakers or electronics. Isn't this what this hobby is all about.People are drawn to the sound that they find most sonically pleasing What it is NOT all about is the constant bashing by one person. Cannata, if you have nothing new to add after 5 years I encourage you to direct your anger in a different direction because enough is enough

as for Wilson bashing, IMO cannata is the proverbial poster boy for leading the charge. A review of his posts here at WBF reflect an inherent hatred for Wilson audio and IMO he merely adds fodder to an otherwise good thread and before and enjoyable rest of the daye you know it he inflects his Magico vs Wilson position which we have heard so many times over the past 5 years

Cannata..we get you message but truthfully after 5 years it is becoming quite boring

This is a thread about the Wilson XVX, not a thread for you to once again brow beat the readers.

Funny, I never seen you policing any Magico bashers...
I am replying to people who bother to reply to my posts (or refer to them). Is that against your policies? Or only when it comes to Wilson it is? If people don't like it, all they need to do is ignore me, and I will go away...

Last edited:

Steve Williams

I don't recall any such Magico threads over the past several years since you brought it to our attention years ago .The admin team is cognizant of what went on and we have made every attempt to make this a level playing field. I do know of one member who strongly dislikes Magico and makes no bones about it BUT in the same post he just as much hates Wilson as well as any speaker manufacturer that makes box speakers

It's called live and let live. We all get it. You don't like Wilson. You like Magico. We are all good with that. It's a hobby not a personal vendetta.

So can we get back to discussing the Wilson XVX

Joe P

May 11, 2019
Did I read somewhere in the press release by Wilson Audio on the XVX that only select Wilson dealers will sell the XVX. I seem to remember the same when the X2 was initially released

"Availability -The Chronosonic XVX will begin shipping to select dealers and distributors in October 2019. Contact
a dealer near you for timing and details—or to arrange for a demonstration."

Reactions: ALF

gds7368

VIP/Donor
Jan 9, 2015
I'm inclined to agree with Mike, particularly wrt a speaker such as the XVX.

RMAF rooms typically have lesser magic than Wilson dealer show rooms. For the purpose of selling a speaker, the dealer wants optimal presentation using their electronics. Show demos generate interest and press buzz - they can be motivators, and that does not diminish their value. But I wouldn't review a speaker using a show demo.
Well said. Saw the static display XVX at RMAF (beautiful speaker) and it would have sounded horrible in that small room. They would have needed an entirely different intro, with an appropriately large room.

Reactions: tima

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Well said. Saw the static display XVX at RMAF (beautiful speaker) and it would have sounded horrible in that small room. They would have needed an entirely different intro, with an appropriately large room.

Like the XLF room a few years back? I bet it will be at RMAF and other shows within 12 months..

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) It's appearance suggests a highly focused sweet spot, allowing only one listener at a time to really enjoy the best sound. (...)

Considering the WAMM experience I do not expect it. Several people referred to it - the ability to get a large area with excellent sound quality - we can move like in a real performance.

SoundLab's and Wilson's are very different ways of listening - I own and enjoy both, but not simultaneously. But IMHO Wilson' XLF's are more "realistic".

Reactions: Sharp 1080 and ALF

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
MtnHam and microstrip let's talk about the elephant in the room since you're dancing around it - Soundlab best model (~$20K?) versus the XLF, one of Wilson's top of the line $200k+ - there is simply no comparison, the Wilson's trounce the Soundlabs (yes I have heard them both). Forget imaging, spacial cues, etc., the difference in sound quality and the overall ability to get closer to the recording is not even close. A closer matchup would be the Wilson Sasha versus the Soundlabs and IMO the net would be - whatever floats your boat more. Also, FWIW for planars my $ is on Maggies, 20.x are excellent when driven right in the right room (even 3.7s were fabulous). There I said it :)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
MtnHam and microstrip let's talk about the elephant in the room since you're dancing around it - Soundlab best model (~$20K?) versus the XLF, one of Wilson's top of the line $200k+ - there is simply no comparison, the Wilson's trounce the Soundlabs (yes I have heard them both). Forget imaging, spacial cues, etc., the difference in sound quality and the overall ability to get closer to the recording is not even close. A closer matchup would be the Wilson Sasha versus the Soundlabs and IMO the net would be - whatever floats your boat more. Also, FWIW for planars my $ is on Maggies, 20.x are excellent when driven right in the right room (even 3.7s were fabulous). There I said it :)

Wilson's and Soundlab's they are too different to allow comparisons and the use of the word "trounce" in absolute.
Surely if we operate the Soundlab's beyond their comfort zone or valuate a lot the fidelity of the recording the XLF's easily win. But just for pure enjoyment of some recordings the SoundLab's can be real winners.

In my experience I had to go the Alexia to get level of the performance of the Soundlab A1 PX's - the Sasha does not have the needed scale and image size.

As far as I remember SoundLab best model goes around $50k, not $20k.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Thanks Joe,

The video is great, interesting to hear Darryll’s design concept as it is a completely beautiful process.

The temporal framework looks at not just at immediate and literal present time coherence but also how the experience of listening to music links us also from past experience (recall) to current experience and being seated in the now of listening and also can create simultaneously linked moments of projection forwards as well (musical anticipation).

This is the musically discrete version of architectural phenomenology where the notion that any perceptual state is a shared temporal space between recall and retention of embedded understanding of past experience brought on by current experience and also then the building of anticipation and the sensation of a future. Continuity as temporal flow.

Past designs X also lead to the development of the V now and projects to the future designs of Wilson X (which is projected as a life cycle of development) which is also generational... could be Dave <> Darryll <> and perhaps looking forwards eventually to next gen Wilson design wherever that may lead.

Either way just really nice to see his genuine and authentic engagement in design is mature and holistic and points at the highest intention.

He is clearly a big picture dude with high concept integral to his essential design process. Colour me impressed, it has resulted in what looks to me like one of the more beautiful speakers that Wilson have produced. The organic skeletal frame is rendered in a very sculptural and poised way, the scale and relationship of the parts is lovely and it has arresting aesthetics that are both well proportioned and harmonic.

The balance between revealing and celebrating structure and using the curvaceous movement of fabric to lead the eye back to the drivers is really nice visual control. That ultimately function leads to lovely form is marvellous design. Hope it sounds just as well integrated as it looks... that would be a deserved outcome, certainly the contemporary forward looking design works to create a clear sense of that anticipation.

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
. . .

In my experience I had to go the Alexia to get level of the performance of the Soundlab A1 PX's - the Sasha does not have the needed scale and image size.

. . . .

Did you find the Alexia to be able to throw an image comparable to the scale and size of the image of the Sound Labs?

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
He is clearly a big picture dude with high concept integral to his essential design process. Colour me impressed, it has resulted in what looks to me like one of the most beautiful speakers that Wilson have produced. The organic skeletal frame is rendered in a very sculptural and poised way, the scale and relationship of the parts is lovely and it has arresting aesthetics that are both well proportioned and harmonic.

I wonder how further out Darryl and his design team took the project. Did the next generation appear to him as he was designing the first one?

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Tim I find in creation the learning on how to improve in the next generation is innate in designers and just the natural process of every thing. Whether conscious or not that the next is always being born from the experience of the now. To bring something into that final reflection point of completion (possibly playing the music and living with the speaker in this case) based on the what is and also the what ifs then lead to future design starting points if there is life yet left in the maker to go another round.

Inherently learning is change of understanding and completely a temporal shift thing where we use precedence to initiate, then act and move towards projecting outcomes based on previous iterations and at end simply experiencing that and reflecting. When the end is the now then that moment of reflection translates and is integrated into us as praxis. The knowing that comes from having manifested and then experienced and turning that experience into realising an understanding.

The end of cycle then fertilises and generates next birth.

Designing is like any other act of creation which is actually regenerative where continuance = experiencing change and the need to have that end is to then be renewed and readied with the resources of the experience to regenerate the past and the present into the next.

I knew today that since I have been modding my horns with more and more diy ownership for the last 6 months that the next version was already coming to me. I’ve sketched it out and it is initiated. Even in my small and modest ways I can’t hold back from the inevitable cycle that engaging in making leads to new and unexpected things. There’s more than a bit of life left in all of us it seems.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing