Chronosonic XVX.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
no time adjustment......however......my twin tower speaker system is time and phase aligned. they have a first order crossover, and in my set-up every driver is equidistant from my listening position. (...)

Mike,
I know that in the end sound is what matters, but do you have any measurements or technical data that can support your claims?

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I would like for you to hear the Master Chronosonic and Subsonic. Not for the purpose of getting it, but for the purpose of hearing what I strongly suspect you will perceive as more than a nominal improvement.

I have never really cottoned over the years to Wilson speakers, but I still have not figured out why I was so bowled over by the sound.of the Master Chronosonic. Somehow it truly is a different level than the XLF.

Ron, Could it not have been the combination of the various components of that system and set up? Or one of the other components? Was your impression based on the system with the AF0? How were you able to isolate the contribution of the speakers and subs to the overall sound?

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Mike,
I know that in the end sound is what matters, but do you have any measurements or technical data that can support your claims?

it's what my speaker designer told me.

and btw, none of the opinions i've posted about the XLF, XVX, and Wamm relative performance delta's claim or even infer anything about my system......and i had no such thoughts. sorry that we have gone down that road.

this thread is not about my speakers.

i'm just strongly a system context guy. give me 3 different significantly capable mega speakers (from the same designer/manufacturer) with similar driver tech and the context (room, system, set-up, media) will be the dominant attribute of the sound. and unless you can just switch the speaker only in and out it would be challenging to capture the actual tangible performance gap.

and the more capable the speaker system (and the larger the space) the greater the range of performance due to context. garbage in-garbage out has a curve.

these are simply one guy's opinions/observations. i'm not proclaiming facts.

Last edited:

ALF

Mar 15, 2012
Southwest

and btw, none of the opinions i've posted about the XLF, XVX, and Wamm relative performance delta's claim or even infer anything about my system......and i had no such thoughts. sorry that we have gone down that road.

i'm just strongly a system context guy. give me 3 different significantly capable mega speakers (from the same designer/manufacturer) with similar driver tech and the context (room, system, set-up, media) will be the dominant attribute of the sound. and unless you can just switch the speaker only in and out it would be challenging to capture the actual tangible performance gap.
Hello Mke,

Is this the same set of MM7 speakers that have always been in your room?

If I remember correctly, you went to the trouble of replacing all of your Sheetrock in an attempt to rectify a sound issue...only to find out later that the speakers were delivered out-of-phase; hence the solution was not the Sheetrock.

Any additional thoughts from the designer?

Cheers!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Mr.T seems to listen to his Vox Olympian/Kondo more than the Master Chronosonic/Dartz. In the end it is just which flavor you choose. Difference is not going to make or break at highest system level.

From your post, we can see what he chooses. How you come up with the last statement, to pacify someone?;)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

(...)

The fact is that you come in a Wilson thread making extreme technical claims about your speakers when we are addressing specific characteristics of Wilson's. Wilsons can be scrutinized by readers and are openly addressed and debated, something that does not happen with Evolution Acoustics.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Hello Mke,

Is this the same set of MM7 speakers that have always been in your room?

If I remember correctly, you went to the trouble of replacing all of your Sheetrock in an attempt to rectify a sound issue...only to find out later that the speakers were delivered out-of-phase; hence the solution was not the Sheetrock.

Any additional thoughts from the designer?

Cheers!

Alan,

not getting into details of my 15 years of room evolution on this thread. but the driver issue was in 2008 with my MM3's.

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
The fact is that you come in a Wilson thread making extreme technical claims about your speakers when we are addressing specific characteristics of Wilson's. Wilsons can be scrutinized by readers and are openly addressed and debated, something that does not happen with Evolution Acoustics.

i answered a direct question.

https://whatsbestforum.com/threads/chronsonicxvx.28704/page-2#post-592513

i did not bring up my speakers......in fact in that answer i asked that more questions about my speakers be taken to another thread.....out of respect for what this thread is.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) I have never really cottoned over the years to Wilson speakers, but I still have not figured out why I was so bowled over by the sound.of the Master Chronosonic. Somehow it truly is a different level than the XLF.

We could expect it, considering the price difference. I listened several times to the WAMMs in the same room as I have listened many times to the XLF, and I am aware of the significant differences. But in the end the similarities were enough to please me and make me an happy audiophile! ;)

Reactions: Ron Resnick

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
What wrong with Seattle?

I was wondering the same thing. My grandparents moved in the 1970s to an area just north of the city called "The Highlands." It is unbelievably beautiful with great views of the Olympic Peninsula. But, the city has changed dramatically since the 70s and is now quite congested. Sorry, back on topic.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
I was wondering the same thing. My grandparents moved in the 1970s to an area just north of the city called "The Highlands." It is unbelievably beautiful with great views of the Olympic Peninsula. But, the city has changed dramatically since the 70s and is now quite congested. Sorry, back on topic.

Based on his reading preferences I'm going assume it's too liberal for him. Probably wont like Boston either ;)

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Based on his reading preferences I'm going assume it's too liberal for him. Probably wont like Boston either ;)

hard to comment about Seattle without getting into the whole politics thing. but i would just say the Seattle area is a breathtakingly beautiful place to live, and you can choose to avoid the core if you like. most out-of-town hifi visitors to my room never set foot in Seattle proper unless they come here on business.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010

the Highlands is a real jewel of the Northwest.......i caddied at the Seattle Golf Club (in the Highlands) a few times in the 60's. i grew up in northeast Seattle, near the University of Washington. and worked near The Highlands in the 1970's.

my son now lives in Shilshole Bay Marina on a 35' sailboat. Shilshole is about 10 miles south of The Highlands with the same Olympic Mountains view as the Highlands. stunning sunsets.

Last edited:

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Kedar sent me this video to get more feel of the Wilson top level system sound. For those who have listened to the Master Croc, would you say they have a pretty similar sound "presentation" to this XLFs?

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
We could expect it, considering the price difference. I listened several times to the WAMMs in the same room as I have listened many times to the XLF, and I am aware of the significant differences. But in the end the similarities were enough to please me and make me an happy audiophile! ;)

at least you heard both speakers in the same room. not sure the time lag between, the gear differences, media........

other's mostly have not even had that to reference.

remember; you are the one typically talking about needing lots of controls (SPL's within .1 of a db), etc., etc., and such for proper compares.

honestly i'm sure that the big guy is a better speaker than the XLF or new XVX. but still where do we find the biggest actual performance differences? mostly 'other' factors.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I g
at least you heard both speakers in the same room. not sure the time lag between, the gear differences, media........

remember; you are the one typically talking about needing lots of controls (SPL's within .1 of a db), etc., etc., and such for proper compares.

honestly i'm sure that the big guy is a better speaker than the XLF or new XVX. but still where do we find the biggest actual performance differences? mostly 'other' factors.
i guess this begs the question, “ in what order of priority everything in a system contributes to the overall sound effect. Some say speakers. Some say amps. Some say Room. Etc etc

Reactions: Ron Resnick

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

I am one of the guys that dont even trust my own hearing memory. Time lag, gear differences, raising heart rate from moving heavy gears.. Those things always make me skeptical. A/B in the same system with minimal time lag is what I trust.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I am one of the guys that dont even trust my own hearing memory. Time lag, gear differences, raising heart rate from moving heavy gears.. Those things always make me skeptical. A/B in the same system with minimal time lag is what I trust.
And even that is usually never enough to
make an adequate comparison unless the A/B is instant

Reactions: christoph

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
And even that is usually never enough to
make an adequate comparison unless the A/B is instant
Yes. That is why I have two of each critical gears to do a/b in my system.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing