Conrad Johnson: New Preamp Flagship - ART88

Attn: Kingrex

Yes, good spotting mate. That 40% in improvement is from my previous ET5 to the ART88. At the moment, I'm using the CT5, which has been slightly modded towards a custom- sound that I wanted to match with my CJ monoblocks. The monoblocks have also been modded to a higher Class A bias operation. This was purposely done to drive my ML CLX's optimally. I didn't want to stress the tooobs, so this particular type of mod really helped.

Since this combination is mighty fine, I don't have any intentions to upgrade at all. Although the ART88 would be fabulous, without a doubt. I would need to upgrade other gear in order to be on par with the supreme reference quality of the ART88. This is seriously something that I'm not willing to do, no matter how damn good it sounds. I'm not getting any younger and I'm getting tired of all this tooob maintenance. Heck! As it is, I've already got plenty plenty of tooobs in the rig. So I'll just keep things simple.

Note: from GATS2 to ART88, I would sincerely believe the improvement is around the 15-20% if at all. The thing is, at this high level of performance, I wouldn't really term it as an "improvement," rather I'd say the two preamps just sound different. Like I said, the GATS2 has buffered SS output stage, whereas the ART88 is all tooob, no buffered stage whatsoever. Having either one is mighty mighty fine, it's just a matter of preference where some owners may still prefer their GAT preamps.

Cheers, and enjoy those finest tunes!
Woof! RJ

Oh! Here's a pic of the TEA2SE Max, thought you might like it. As CJ says, "it just sounds right."

Attachments

• 20210527_223239.jpg
    20210527_223239.jpg
    560.5 KB · Views: 2

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing