Conversation with a valve amp engineer

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
I own a pair Cary CAD-211AE amplifier. This is a Class AB push/pull valve amplifier with a 6CA7 current source tube, a 6SL7 input tube, a pair of 300B driver tubes, and a pair of 845 output tubes per channel. My amp has an expensive tendency to keep blowing up the 845 mounted in the right socket of each monoblock, which is a symptom which has puzzled both me and my engineer. It has done this four times now, with three different brands of tube, and each time it is the same right socket on each monoblock.

This is my recollection of my conversation with him as he was repairing my amplifier. It was quite educational and is probably mandatory reading for anybody who owns a valve amplifier.

Why does my amplifier keep blowing the valve in the same socket? The first couple of times the valves blew, we blamed it on faulty valves. However, we smelt a rat when the same valve socket kept blowing. He got the amp on the bench and measured everything - everything looked OK. He suspected that it was physical issue with the valve socket. This is the standard valve socket as supplied by Cary:

cary1.jpg

Note how the pin for the heater can potentially contact the anode when the valve is inserted and cause a short (red arrow). He pointed out that the capacitor for the anode was massive and had "thousands of microfarads". When the 845 tube was designed, they never envisaged that anybody would attach such a large capacitor to the anode. The stored charge in the capacitor would be enough to short out the heater and kill it if there was a short circuit. He then attached his electrodes to the capacitor so that I could watch how quickly it bled current. It read 900V, and the rate at which it bled would have had us waiting for half an hour for it to discharge.

Lesson number one: do not attempt to tube roll without waiting for the capacitor to discharge.

His solution was to replace the socket with another socket which had a longer sleeve, and redesigned terminals that physically prevents the 845 tube from rocking in the socket and shorting out terminals. This one:

P4103864.jpg

Q: Is there a possibility that there is a faulty component on one side of the monoblock which is causing the valve to exceed its designed specifications and causing it to fail prematurely? A:: He pointed out that this amplifier only has overall bias (i.e. a single bias potentiometer biases both push and pull sections of the amp at the same time), and not individual bias. If you have a mismatched valve, then yes - one half of the amp will pull more current than the other half pushes.

Q: But my valves are matched? Here, I have a card from Shuguang's valve tester that says they are matched! A: Those valve testers are an order of magnitude less accurate than what he can measure on the bench. In his opinion, a valve tester only tells you that a valve is OK to be used in a TV or a radio and is nowhere near accurate enough for high end audio.

Q: Well, prove it then. A: He then put my amp on the bench and measured the push and the pull channel. I could barely believe my eyes when the numbers came up:

cary.jpg

That's right - the push part of the amp is pushing 5.56V DC, and the pull part of the amp is pulling 4.27 V DC, or a mismatch of 23% between the push and the pull!!

Q: That is shocking! Are you sure it is the valves that are responsible?!? A: He moved his electrodes to various other parts of the amp and did some maths. He said that my amp, as designed and delivered by Cary, has the + and the - to within 5% - very good manufacturing in his view. The 23% difference was entirely the fault of the valves (which were brand new out of the box and never mounted).

Q: Does the fact that these are virgin valves have anything to do with it? A: It is possible that Shuguang gave me a brand new valve and a valve which was run in. A brand new valve has to burn off the Thorium and other things (I missed what he said, but I gather it was remnants left over from manufacturing) from the anode and grid before it settles into its final value. I could even see that as the valves heated up, the numbers on the screen were changing. He would have preferred if I brought a pair of valves which had been burnt in for testing instead.

Q: Doesn't that mean that Shuguang should run in the valves first before claiming they are matched pairs and selling them? A: That's why he thinks that "matched valves" are a marketing gimmick. He has never seen a truly matched pair of valves.

Q: Does that include vintage valves? A: Vintage valves might have been manufactured to tighter tolerances depending on the factory, but the passage of time and unequal use may mean that the valves are not matched any more.

Q: If there is no such thing as a pair of truly matched valves, what does this mean for push-pull amps? A: Push-pull amps are critically dependent on matched valves, otherwise they will exhibit the kind of behaviour that mine was exhibiting on the bench.

Q: Why would anybody design a push-pull valve amp when you know full well that you are going to have problems matching valves? A: He can't read into the mind of the designer, but he pointed out that this was only one design consideration among many decisions which Dennis Had (designer of my amp) had to make. When he designed the amp, how was he to know that the market was going to be flooded by dodgy Chinese valves?

Q: But the amp is supplied with Chinese valves! A: He pointed out that the original 845's supplied by Cary were labeled "Left monoblock, left socket" and "Left monoblock, right socket". They knew what they were doing.

Q: Is there any way around this? Can a potentiometer be installed to bias each individual push-pull channel? A: Yes, Audio Research do it. Each channel can be individually biased.

Q: Then why didn't Cary do it? A: Can not read into the mind of the designer. However - when you make an amp, you can not make things too complex for the owner. At least Cary allows you to adjust the overall bias.

Q: Is this why SET's sound better? A: SET's do not have the problem of critically matching tubes between push and pull, but they have a different set of problems to a Class AB push-pull amp. (He gave me a list of them, but I do not recall all of them).

Fast/Forward

Aug 21, 2011
Mississauga, On
I've gone recently from a tube push/pull amp to SET. I did as much research as I could on issues with both types and found that it is usually best to under bias a tube when it is newly installed. On the push/pull amp I changed from matched 6550's to matched KT88's and had manually under biased the tubes for the first 50 hours. Down the road a KT88 blew twice in the same position. I have read that the tube, an Electro Harmonix KT88 were prone to this. I reverted to EH 6550's and had no problem. The remaining KT88's are now used in another amplifier with no issues.

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
Keith_W;186528 [B said:
Q:[/B] Is there any way around this? Can a potentiometer be installed to bias each individual push-pull channel? A: Yes, Audio Research do it. Each channel can be individually biased.

Just a minor beef with this comment. An individual bias control simply allows you to set the static bias point. It does not guarantee that the tubes will be low distortion- for that you still have to match them.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Matching tubes should be carried in the same conditions that the tube will be used. Most tube testers measure them at much lower cathode current and anode voltage than the real values in operation - it is why you buy matched tubes and they are no more matched in your amplifier. Only when you get your tubes from the manufacturer or a knowledge seller that asks you what is your amplifier and matches them accordingly you can be sure they are properly matched. I found that the matching for the VTL's MB750 and ARC is not interchangeable. I built a custom tube tester just for my tubes and amplifiers, and match them by grid voltage and transconductance at operation points.

BTW, most current ARC designs do not bias tubes individually but in groups. Most designers do not want to use individual bias to avoid letting you use non matched tubes in the output, as they consider it seriously degrades sound quality.

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
Just a minor beef with this comment. An individual bias control simply allows you to set the static bias point. It does not guarantee that the tubes will be low distortion- for that you still have to match them.

I was hoping you would see this thread and weigh in, Ralph. In fact when I was driving home I was thinking of you :) I am now seriously considering selling this amp and replacing it with something else. My engineer thinks that I should replace it with a SET, given that my power requirements are not great and SET's are very clean provided you do not drive them to distortion. But I was thinking ... why not an OTL.

Microstrip ... thank you for your input.

zztop7

Member Sponsor
Dec 12, 2012
Edmonds, WA
Simple advice

Simple advice:
Please confirm this info. with your >>> engineer<<< [& compliments to your engineer].
First decide on the tubes that you want to use and their availability - rectifier [if all tube], signal, output, etc.
Second - all tube, or hybrid [SS & Tube]
Third - do not be taken in by marketing - a great SET does not need an esoteric schematic [that the company will not provide anyway - must send to factory for service].
Fourth - you must hear the SET with your speakers & your music [preferably in your setting].
Fifth - parallel output tubes [same channel] in SETs have balancing of power problems [again - talk to your engineer].
Sixth - ??? will your engineer build your SET ???
ETC.
Best to you,
zz

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
zz, my engineer only does audio as a side hobby. He owns his own workshop and does custom industrial engineering work - e.g. repair drill bits for mining companies, design and build custom valves, dynamos, etc. I once went there and saw what looked like a small jet engine on his workshop floor. It was actually a turbine from an oil pump. He also has a fascination with miniature steam models and Minecraft - which is why he will never have time to build an amp for me!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Depending mainly on your preferences and the impedance and efficiency of your speakers you can think about an Atma-sphere amplifier. They seem to have all the good things you want. Many people refer that it has some of the purity sound characteristics of SET amplifiers - my experience with SET is not enough to comment on this aspect.

For technical details see:
The http://www.atma-sphere.com/Resources/Our_Basic_Circuits.php[/UR

The circuit of the basic M60 is easily available in the net - Ralph even sells kit of it for DIY people.

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
I was hoping you would see this thread and weigh in, Ralph. In fact when I was driving home I was thinking of you :) I am now seriously considering selling this amp and replacing it with something else. My engineer thinks that I should replace it with a SET, given that my power requirements are not great and SET's are very clean provided you do not drive them to distortion. But I was thinking ... why not an OTL.

Microstrip ... thank you for your input.
The trick, especially if you have higher efficiency speakers, is to have an amplifier with distortion that decreases linearly towards zero as power decreases. This is the secret of that 'first watt' you hear about so much. SETs are good at this, our OTLs have that quality as do the First Watt amps from Nelson Pass. Most push-pull transistor and tube amps have *increasing* distortion below a certain power level which might be between 5-10 watts depending on the amp.

However even though you don't have great power requirements you may find yourself using more power anyway if the amps you get have the right kind of low distortion (low in odd ordered harmonics when making power). If this is the case the stereo will not sound as loud, won't be 'shouty' and there will be a natural tendency to turn up the volume. This is a good thing BTW...

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
The trick, especially if you have higher efficiency speakers, is to have an amplifier with distortion that decreases linearly towards zero as power decreases. This is the secret of that 'first watt' you hear about so much. SETs are good at this, our OTLs have that quality as do the First Watt amps from Nelson Pass. Most push-pull transistor and tube amps have *increasing* distortion below a certain power level which might be between 5-10 watts depending on the amp.

That's interesting...as a complete non-techie i would simply have assumed that its easier to have lower distortion if you are asking the amp to deliver less power...so ALL amps would have lower distortion at lower levels. Why is this not the case? Thanks for as 'dumbed down' an answer as you can get it for me...while still answering the question! ;)

However even though you don't have great power requirements you may find yourself using more power anyway if the amps you get have the right kind of low distortion (low in odd ordered harmonics when making power). If this is the case the stereo will not sound as loud, won't be 'shouty' and there will be a natural tendency to turn up the volume. This is a good thing BTW...

Yes, I have noticed 2 things about low distortion...and low noise floor...first, i CAN turn the volume up and realize only when people start shouting in order to speak...that the lack of distortion means its effortless and beautiful to listen to...but far louder than you think. BUT...i ALSO notice (more often) i turn the volume DOWN...because i can hear EVERYTHING even at the lowest of low levels (volume at 1 of 99 on the pre).

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
That's interesting...as a complete non-techie i would simply have assumed that its easier to have lower distortion if you are asking the amp to deliver less power...so ALL amps would have lower distortion at lower levels. Why is this not the case? Thanks for as 'dumbed down' an answer as you can get it for me...while still answering the question! ;)

The problem is that there is often some sort of asymmetry in the amplifier that is used as part of the phase splitting circuit- that which goes from single-ended to push-pull. This circuit usually adds distortion and due to minor non-linearities, some of the distortion as at low levels. Usually in such amplifiers there is also a feedback mechanism in play, which contributes to the phenomena.

We get around this by no feedback and no seperate phase splitter. IOW the 'phase splitter' is integrated into the only gain stage in the amp.

In transistor amps you often see some sort of complimentary or quasi-complimentary topology, for exampe two equal but opposite output devices. The problem here is that there really is no such thing as actually equal but opposite devices. They are always a little different. As a result there is an attendant distortion, some of which shows up at low levels near the cutoff regions of the devices. Tube amps generally speaking have more bias current in the output tubes but minor mismatches in the output section also contribute to low level distortion.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
The problem is that there is often some sort of asymmetry in the amplifier that is used as part of the phase splitting circuit- that which goes from single-ended to push-pull. This circuit usually adds distortion and due to minor non-linearities, some of the distortion as at low levels. Usually in such amplifiers there is also a feedback mechanism in play, which contributes to the phenomena.

We get around this by no feedback and no seperate phase splitter. IOW the 'phase splitter' is integrated into the only gain stage in the amp.

In transistor amps you often see some sort of complimentary or quasi-complimentary topology, for exampe two equal but opposite output devices. The problem here is that there really is no such thing as actually equal but opposite devices. They are always a little different. As a result there is an attendant distortion, some of which shows up at low levels near the cutoff regions of the devices. Tube amps generally speaking have more bias current in the output tubes but minor mismatches in the output section also contribute to low level distortion.

thanks...i think i got some of that...is this why people talk about Class A amplification having lower distortion in theory?

hltf

Nov 22, 2012
Q: Does the fact that these are virgin valves have anything to do with it? A: It is possible that Shuguang gave me a brand new valve and a valve which was run in. A brand new valve has to burn off the Thorium and other things (I missed what he said, but I gather it was remnants left over from manufacturing) from the anode and grid before it settles into its final value. I could even see that as the valves heated up, the numbers on the screen were changing. He would have preferred if I brought a pair of valves which had been burnt in for testing instead.

Q: Doesn't that mean that Shuguang should run in the valves first before claiming they are matched pairs and selling them? A: That's why he thinks that "matched valves" are a marketing gimmick. He has never seen a truly matched pair of valves.

Hullo:
Were these the new Shuguang Natural Series KT88-T tubes? And may I ask who matched them for you? Was it a dealer or was it Shuguang themselves? I ask because I am considering getting myself eight of the KT88-Ts for use in my VAC 300.1a. I have been using the VAC supplied KT88-SCs till now and they test very carefully but I would be getting the Natural KT88-Ts from a dealer in China as VAC has not yet decided about testing and selling these. Any tips that anyone has about dealers that do the most reliable testing on new tubes would be much appreciated.
Thanks

zztop7

Member Sponsor
Dec 12, 2012
Edmonds, WA
never relates properly to how they operate when installed in YOUR component.

I recently bought a set of "matched" tubes, and they might have been properly matched on the "tube tester". BUT, that never relates properly to how they operate when installed in YOUR component.

An OLD GUY, who helps me had to go through his inventory to find a tube that would properly match one of the purchased pair in my amplifier during >>>actual operating conditions<<<.

Maybe other people with other components have better result.

I actually gave up on matched tubes, but I gave it a shot.

zz.

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
Hullo:
Were these the new Shuguang Natural Series KT88-T tubes? And may I ask who matched them for you? Was it a dealer or was it Shuguang themselves? I ask because I am considering getting myself eight of the KT88-Ts for use in my VAC 300.1a. I have been using the VAC supplied KT88-SCs till now and they test very carefully but I would be getting the Natural KT88-Ts from a dealer in China as VAC has not yet decided about testing and selling these. Any tips that anyone has about dealers that do the most reliable testing on new tubes would be much appreciated.
Thanks

These were Shuguang PSVANE 845T's, matched by Grant Fidelity. As my engineer said, it is very rare to find a pair of truly matched valves. The only way to make sure the valves are matched is to have individual bias on the amp.

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
thanks...i think i got some of that...is this why people talk about Class A amplification having lower distortion in theory?

Partly. In a Single Ended Triode amp you have to have class A because that one tube is doing all the work. If the amp is push-pull, you also get better distortion canceling if the amp is class A to full power, but in either case the A region is the area of any device's greatest linearity.

Thanks

We have found that most so-called 'matched' tubes are usually just placed on a tube tester and matched in that way. Any power tube should be preconditioned before use; they will behave differently after preconditioning (preconditioning is the act of putting lighting up the tube but putting no B+ current through it, usually for 24-72 hours depending on the tube. This 'cures' the cathode coating and can double the life of the tube, as well as reduce premature arcing due to shipping and the like), so I don't put a lot of faith in matched sets as a result, unless the tubes have been selected after preconditioning and then with a curve tracer rather than a tester with only a meter.

These were Shuguang PSVANE 845T's, matched by Grant Fidelity. As my engineer said, it is very rare to find a pair of truly matched valves. The only way to make sure the valves are matched is to have individual bias on the amp.

Even if you have individual bias controls you still have an issue as how the tube behaves at idle is not the same as how it behaves at full output.

hltf

Nov 22, 2012
Many thanks Keith_W and Atmasphere for the very helpful replies.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

hltf

Nov 22, 2012
Hullo again. Another question, if I may please, for Atmasphere. Does the preconditioning both cure the cathode and burn in the tube? I hear that the Shuguang Natural Sounds need a lot of burn-in time.
Thank you

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing