Coronavirus ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Do you guys have any data to support your belief that surgical masks are ineffective?
It doesn't seal properly and has no real filtration. You need a mask that covers mouth and nose and seals and the only inlet/outlet is through a filter of sufficient capability to trap very small airborne particles... there is one from 3M that seems to be good but not your standard surgical mask.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Do you guys have any data to support your belief that surgical masks are ineffective?
You need at least an N95 grade and preferrably N99 grade mask/respirator.

analogsa

Apr 15, 2017
Cascais
Not sure there is any strong evidence even the best masks work. They need to be changed every few hours, while handled very carefully. How practical is this?

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Interesting info on the masks. All we see on the news is entire populations wearing these useless, ineffective masks.

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
let’s try this;)

Attachments

• 9899EB9A-C27D-4603-8A09-AEEC99E8A316.jpeg
    9899EB9A-C27D-4603-8A09-AEEC99E8A316.jpeg
    728.2 KB · Views: 18
Reactions: bonzo75

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
So we can eliminate it AND celebrate eliminating it at the same time?

Reactions: Al M. and marslo

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
Interesting info on the masks. All we see on the news is entire populations wearing these useless, ineffective masks.
Masks were always used in countries if you had a cold/influenza to stop you spreading airborne particles etc and in Vietnam et.al. as a means of reducing the particulate matter you breathe in. Something I never understood is why we didn’t adopt and still don’t adopt this practice in the west. Are we too conscious of what we look like or embarrassed to say we have a cold?
it’s only now that we see people adopting the mask as a way of saying don’t breathe on me or keep away, I’m scared.
If it makes you feel ‘safer’ wear one.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Masks were always used in countries if you had a cold/influenza to stop you spreading airborne particles etc and in Vietnam et.al. as a means of reducing the particulate matter you breathe in. Something I never understood is why we didn’t adopt and still don’t adopt this practice in the west. Are we too conscious of what we look like or embarrassed to say we have a cold?
it’s only now that we see people adopting the mask as a way of saying don’t breathe on me or keep away, I’m scared.
If it makes you feel ‘safer’ wear one.

The subject of masks is an interesting one ... we are no experts on surgical masks, etc., we're only here to learn about their use and efficiency ...
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4480558/

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/art...e-germs-fingers-viruses-air-experts-say-after

* N95/N99

And they sure could be fashionable ...

People use them in protests, in riots, riding bikes in city streets, etc.
Just the smell of gasoline from car exhausts is killing me, I'm asthmatic and allergic to it. I have terrible headaches and it makes me vomit and gives me the flu. And I'm not kidding, I have a poor immune system. I wasn't always like that as I use to be in top shape for many many years climbing mountains and building forests on them.

Anyway from the experts a surgical mask offers minimal to zero protection against the Coronavirus. And even the ones that come with filters ... N95/N99 require frequent changes and careful maintenance.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Marc. Did you read the link that Bonzo posted. The death rate is about 2%. Mers is something like 60%. With something like Mers your health got bad so quickly you have to be hospitalized so soon. But this Covid19 you might not feel shit for two weeks without knowing you have it. And you walk around spreading this virus without you or other people knowing. Yes You might not even die from it if you are a very healthy individual and get treated properly. But think about how easy it camouflage itself and spread out. 1 million is 20,000 deaths. A thai 30 yrs old taxi driver picked up a stranger from airport. Met that person once and now he has the virus. I just came back from Japan. I want to go listen to your Zu, can you come pick me up at Heathrow?
I'll pick you up from Heathrow airport. No problem. You may suffer more listening to my Zus than anything I'll catch from you Lol.

Reactions: Lagonda

Duke LeJeune

[Industry Expert]/Member Sponsor
Jul 22, 2013
Princeton, Texas
Did you read the link that Bonzo posted. The death rate is about 2%.

Imo it's hard to know what the morality rate really is.

It may be higher than 2% because, at the rate new cases are being added, probably 1/2 of the cases are less than a week old, meaning that for probably 1/2 of those 80,000 cases (as of today), the disease is far from having run its course. It would be interesting to know the morality rate among those for whom the disease has run its course.

On the other hand the mortality rate may be lower than 2%, IF there are actually far more than 80,000 cases, with the majority being undocumented simply because the people who have it never got sick enough to see a doctor. I've seen more than one article saying that the actual number of cases may be several times the reported number.

There does seem to be some good data on which groups have the highest mortality rates, which not surprisingly are the elderly and those with pre-existing conditions:

https://www.nextbigfuture.com/2020/...-statistics-by-age-gender-and-conditions.html

Apparently little kids are pretty good at fighting it off, which is good news.

There is a video graphic at this link showing the rate at which reported cases have been added each day, compared with a few other new diseases like SARS and H1N1. It's the one that says "Day 4 since outbreak" on its little screen. Watch what happens to the coronavirus cases starting around Day 19:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/coronavirus-four-maps-charts-depict-163128391.html

Last edited:

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Unfortunately kids are little petrie dishes who make excellent carriers.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I'll pick you up from Heathrow airport. No problem. You may suffer more listening to my Zus than anything I'll catch from you Lol.
I would love to sit in the Citroen again and No suffering Marc. Btw, Ked said if I say your system fantastic four times in forum, You will give me a chiropractic session free for a year.

Duke LeJeune

[Industry Expert]/Member Sponsor
Jul 22, 2013
Princeton, Texas
Reactions: NorthStar

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Last edited:
Reactions: Duke LeJeune

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I would love to sit in the Citroen again and No suffering Marc. Btw, Ked said if I say your system fantastic four times in forum, You will give me a chiropractic session free for a year.
I said to Ked I know a great psychiatrist who would help him, but he strangely claimed he didn't need any help.

Reactions: andromedaaudio

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Here in the UK a couple more cases reported taking total to 16, Returnees from Northern Italy.
A news report on BBC TV last night that the Government in discussions with local authorities on contingency plans for big out break including sites for mass burial sites. A bit chilling really but has been in contingency plans in the past so not really new and a sensible precaution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing