Coronavirus ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Lagonda, I've got the fully uncut restored Blu Ray boxset. The 16 ton weight makes so much sense to me as a Brit. Totally practical.

Reactions: Lagonda

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
We’ve gone from underreacting to something more serious than flu to overreacting in the span of two weeks. Watching cnn is dangerous for ones health - all about what *could* happen. Closing all schools and causing mass storage of paper products is lunacy. I heard one person say 1.7mm people in the US could die- I’ll bet my life savings that doesn’t occur. Media is causing actual hysteria.

We went out today and had a lovely morning at a restaurant and a few shops - I’m glad the suckers stayed home and are eating canned soup.

You call them "suckers" Keith?
I thought they were human beings, just like you.

And what CNN's got to do with anything?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
We’ve gone from underreacting to something more serious than flu to overreacting in the span of two weeks. Watching cnn is dangerous for ones health - all about what *could* happen. Closing all schools and causing mass storage of paper products is lunacy. I heard one person say 1.7mm people in the US could die- I’ll bet my life savings that doesn’t occur. Media is causing actual hysteria.

We went out today and had a lovely morning at a restaurant and a few shops - I’m glad the suckers stayed home and are eating canned soup.
Keith, trying to get the practical optimism/paranoia thing in perfect harmony.

That means no dropping off supporting local businesses. But spending longer in their restrooms.

I didn't come all the way to the country to
#LiveTheDream
just to end up
#EnduringTheNightmare.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Mike, have you been in a pandemic before; neither I.

Depends on your definition according to this,2, the first in 1968 (too young to remember I was six) and the second we are all still living through the Aids pandemic. Those older than me there was another one in the mid to late 50's.

Scientists and medical researchers have for years have differed over the exact definition of a pandemic (is it a pandemic, or an epidemic), but one thing everyone agrees on is that the word describes the widespread occurrence of disease, in excess of what might normally be expected in a geographical region.

Cholera, bubonic plague, smallpox, and influenza are some of the most brutal killers in human history. And outbreaks of these diseases across international borders, are properly defined as pandemic, especially smallpox, which throughout history, has killed between 300-500 million people in its 12,000 year existence.

A final note: The most recent outbreak of the Ebola virus, which has killed thousands of people, is still confined to West Africa. It may someday be pandemic, but for now, is considered an epidemic — and is therefore not included on this list.

HIV/AIDS PANDEMIC (AT ITS PEAK, 2005-2012)
Death Toll: 36 million
Cause: HIV/AIDS
First identified in Democratic Republic of the Congo in 1976, HIV/AIDS has truly proven itself as a global pandemic, killing more than 36 million people since 1981. Currently there are between 31 and 35 million people living with HIV, the vast majority of those are in Sub-Saharan Africa, where 5% of the population is infected, roughly 21 million people. As awareness has grown, new treatments have been developed that make HIV far more manageable, and many of those infected go on to lead productive lives. Between 2005 and 2012 the annual global deaths from HIV/AIDS dropped from 2.2 million to 1.6 million.

FLU PANDEMIC (1968)
Death Toll: 1 million
Cause: Influenza
A category 2 Flu pandemic sometimes referred to as “the Hong Kong Flu,” the 1968 flu pandemic was caused by the H3N2 strain of the Influenza A virus, a genetic offshoot of the H2N2 subtype. From the first reported case on July 13, 1968 in Hong Kong, it took only 17 days before outbreaks of the virus were reported in Singapore and Vietnam, and within three months had spread to The Philippines, India, Australia, Europe, and the United States. While the 1968 pandemic had a comparatively low mortality rate (.5%) it still resulted in the deaths of more than a million people, including 500,000 residents of Hong Kong, approximately 15% of its population at the time.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Norm, that's what some scientists were saying before...and that is troubling even more so.
What does this means for Boris's "herd immunity" solution?

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Norm, that's what some scientists were saying before...and that is troubling even more so.
@ the end they just don't know.
The article basically says that either the tests are faulty or they are rushing people out of hospitals due to space pressures.

There is no chance of reinfection if the adaptive immune system has won the battle against the virus.

There are two subsystems within the immune system, known as the innate (non-specific) immune system and the adaptive (specific) immune system. Both of these subsystems are closely linked and work together whenever a germ or harmful substance triggers an immune response.

The innate immune system provides a general defense against harmful germs and substances, so it’s also called the non-specific immune system. It mostly fights using immune cells such as natural killer cells and phagocytes (“eating cells”). The main job of the innate immune system is to fight harmful substances and germs that enter the body, for instance through the skin or digestive system.

The adaptive (specific) immune system makes antibodies and uses them to specifically fight certain germs that the body has previously come into contact with. This is also known as an “acquired” (learned) or specific immune response.

Because the adaptive immune system is constantly learning and adapting, the body can also fight bacteria or viruses that change over time.

The innate system first attacks and buys time for the adaptive system to produce specific anti-bodies. A numbers game with time pressure.

https://www.roswellpark.org/cancert...system-protects-you-why-do-you-still-get-sick

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
That means no dropping off supporting local businesses. But spending longer in their restrooms.

I didn't come all the way to the country to
#LiveTheDream
just to end up
#EnduringTheNightmare.
Be careful no-one attacks you with a banana while in that restroom Marc otherwise #MorePtsdAndAssociatedTherapy

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
We are in uncharted territories.

Growing up in Southern California (Orange County & Los Angeles area) and being a teenager in the 70's & 80's, trust me I was scared shitless when Aids virus was just getting going in the US. It was every moment of every day thoughts for long time.
Educated myself best I could with all the non-information out there, made smart decisions and choices and had to move on. My main decision was staying with and marrying (to this day) my high school sweetheart so that took a lot off the plate. But for years nobody would hardly touch anyone or people would freak out if someone coughed near them, all kinds of physical assaults going on in the news for a long long time.
Because of that if I found myself on the dating scene one day, don't know what I would do.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
It sounds like it means: "Every animal for himself/herself." I do not like it.
Ron, if I have it right, the race is on for herd immunity to both be reached first, and to be more succesful over time, than a vaccine.

Boris and his public health experts have judged that no liberal Western nation, esp one w 65-70m inhabitants with a long and proud history of total skepticism of it's governing class, will ever stick to "distancing" or be relied on to self isolate as good obedient citizens. It's been concluded that "quarantine fatigue" will kick in well before peak prevalence in early July ie people will grow totally impatient and skeptical and not obey repeat need to go into dark rooms for 7-14 days. And that it would be too psychologically testing for older lonely citizens to be cut off from personal family/friends contact for the periods suggested.

It's also calculated that going for distancing, shutting down schools etc, may tie up more health professionals than is practical.

So the idea remains to permit 60% of Brits to get up close and personal w Corona, 99+% of these needing minimal or zero help, 0.3-1% needing the full force of the NHS to treat them intensively.

Let's see if a wedge of 150k to 450k frail elderly, and complex immuno suppressed, and fragile respiratory distress patients, can truly be handled.

Off course, if that 0.3 to 1% becomes 3 to 7% (Italy pushing 7+%), then we're talking 1 to 3m cases.

Reactions: KeithR and Lagonda

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Depends on your definition according to this,2, the first in 1968 (too young to remember I was six) and the second we are all still living through the Aids pandemic. Those older than me there was another one in the mid to late 50's.

Scientists and medical researchers have for years have differed over the exact definition of a pandemic (is it a pandemic, or an epidemic), but one thing everyone agrees on is that the word describes the widespread occurrence of disease, in excess of what might normally be expected in a geographical region.

Cholera, bubonic plague, smallpox, and influenza are some of the most brutal killers in human history. And outbreaks of these diseases across international borders, are properly defined as pandemic, especially smallpox, which throughout history, has killed between 300-500 million people in its 12,000 year existence.

A final note: The most recent outbreak of the Ebola virus, which has killed thousands of people, is still confined to West Africa. It may someday be pandemic, but for now, is considered an epidemic — and is therefore not included on this list.

HIV/AIDS PANDEMIC (AT ITS PEAK, 2005-2012)
Death Toll: 36 million
Cause: HIV/AIDS
First identified in Democratic Republic of the Congo in 1976, HIV/AIDS has truly proven itself as a global pandemic, killing more than 36 million people since 1981. Currently there are between 31 and 35 million people living with HIV, the vast majority of those are in Sub-Saharan Africa, where 5% of the population is infected, roughly 21 million people. As awareness has grown, new treatments have been developed that make HIV far more manageable, and many of those infected go on to lead productive lives. Between 2005 and 2012 the annual global deaths from HIV/AIDS dropped from 2.2 million to 1.6 million.

FLU PANDEMIC (1968)
Death Toll: 1 million
Cause: Influenza
A category 2 Flu pandemic sometimes referred to as “the Hong Kong Flu,” the 1968 flu pandemic was caused by the H3N2 strain of the Influenza A virus, a genetic offshoot of the H2N2 subtype. From the first reported case on July 13, 1968 in Hong Kong, it took only 17 days before outbreaks of the virus were reported in Singapore and Vietnam, and within three months had spread to The Philippines, India, Australia, Europe, and the United States. While the 1968 pandemic had a comparatively low mortality rate (.5%) it still resulted in the deaths of more than a million people, including 500,000 residents of Hong Kong, approximately 15% of its population at the time.
Tubercolosis is the most scary of them all!
Fear the bacteria.

Reactions: Hi-FiGuy

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Ron, if I have it right, the race is on for herd immunity to both be reached first, and to be more succesful over time, than a vaccine.

Boris and his public health experts have judged that no liberal Western nation, esp one w 65-70m inhabitants with a long and proud history of total skepticism of it's governing class, will ever stick to "distancing" or be relied on to self isolate as good obedient citizens. It's been concluded that "quarantine fatigue" will kick in well before peak prevalence in early July ie people will grow totally impatient and skeptical and not obey repeat need to go into dark rooms for 7-14 days. And that it would be too psychologically testing for older lonely citizens to be cut off from personal family/friends contact for the periods suggested.

It's also calculated that going for distancing, shutting down schools etc, may tie up more health professionals than is practical.

So the idea remains to permit 60% of Brits to get up close and personal w Corona, 99+% of these needing minimal or zero help, 0.3-1% needing the full force of the NHS to treat them intensively.

Let's see if a wedge of 150k to 450k frail elderly, and complex immuno suppressed, and fragile respiratory distress patients, can truly be handled.

Off course, if that 0.3 to 1% becomes 3 to 7% (Italy pushing 7+%), then we're talking 1 to 3m cases.
Marc, it all sounds good on a theoretical plane, but once you see your own mother/father or grandmother/grandfather dying from
something that could have been
avoided or postponed your perspective probably changes.
The Italiens are surely regretting
not acting earlier. If i could save my
mother or father by giving up
a year of income, i would not
hesitate !

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
The article basically says that either the tests are faulty or they are rushing people out of hospitals due to space pressures.

There is no chance of reinfection if the adaptive immune system has won the battle against the virus.

There are two subsystems within the immune system, known as the innate (non-specific) immune system and the adaptive (specific) immune system. Both of these subsystems are closely linked and work together whenever a germ or harmful substance triggers an immune response.

The innate immune system provides a general defense against harmful germs and substances, so it’s also called the non-specific immune system. It mostly fights using immune cells such as natural killer cells and phagocytes (“eating cells”). The main job of the innate immune system is to fight harmful substances and germs that enter the body, for instance through the skin or digestive system.

The adaptive (specific) immune system makes antibodies and uses them to specifically fight certain germs that the body has previously come into contact with. This is also known as an “acquired” (learned) or specific immune response.

Because the adaptive immune system is constantly learning and adapting, the body can also fight bacteria or viruses that change over time.

The innate system first attacks and buys time for the adaptive system to produce specific anti-bodies. A numbers game with time pressure.

https://www.roswellpark.org/cancert...system-protects-you-why-do-you-still-get-sick

Yeah, washing our hands often, and stop riding around with Fred.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing