Coronavirus ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Oh boy...last post as this is a time suck!

NOT me...other people keep bringing up Spanish Flu and the paper shows there is no real parallel....not that one would need the paper to see that. Again, BACTERIAL superbugs ar the real scare and not enuff people focus on them.

Again, I have no objection to sensible precautions and strategies...but do you condone a destructioin of the world economy over this? Why no a myriad of other causes? The darn thing has only killed 3K people so far and death rates seem to follow infection rates, ie trilping. So by June 80K dead world wide. Normal Flu will be over 500K dead by then.

All pathogens are our enemies, but we can self destruct in battling them, as that is at best a Pyrrhic victory.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Why isn't China's Xi at the podium of the United Nations apologizing to the world for this disaster, and pledging $100 billion to combat the virus?

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Thank you. Your nonsense is getting annoying.
We shall see by Summer. Your ill-tempered comment may come back to bite you. Will you have the integrity to stand up and admit you are wrong then? Somehow, I dont think so...

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Why isn't China's Xi at the podium of the United Nations apologizing to the world for this disaster, and pledging $100 billion to combat the virus?
Did the US aplogise for H1NI that killed far more that what we see today?
What about the "Spanish" Flu that actually came from Kansas?

Dont open this Pandora box.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
We have a serious global situation affecting us all, and we argue among each other?

Norm, I truly hope you're right and by Summer it'll all be gone.
Something tells me that it won't.

This Coronavirus, scientists are learning more about it; just recently Chinese scientists discovered two strains, L and S. 70% of the people infected have the stronger strain.
Then it can re-infect people that have been cleared with the milder strain.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/04/coronavirus-chinese-scientists-identify-two-types-covid-19.html

All schools in Italy are closed (8.7 million students affected), many public events are cancelled globally, James Bond latest movie has been delayed till NOVEMBER. The Mecca pilgrimage has been banned. In the UK, in the USA, in Canada, in France, in South Korea, in Italy, in Saudi Arabia, in Switzerland, in Norway, in India, in China, in Australia, ...in many countries of the world life is not normal anymore. The global stock markets are in shambles, the global economy is declining rapidly, recession is showing his nose, ... so it's no small thing created by hocus pocus, it's reel as it can be.

Last edited:

parkcaka

Sep 11, 2016
Istanbul
I hope it does go away at summer an we will all be happy. I have many close senior relatives including my mom and dad.

We are on the same side.

There WILL be great economic consequences. This is a fact. When we have a virulent virus loose we can't have any conventions, exhibitions. Tourism will have a major hit all around the world. Even if you survive the virus it is not an easy process. You will be away from your office at least 2-3 weeks. Hospitals will be a mess. We'll have enormous medical costs if we can the virus and survive. There WILL be economic consequences. This is not a choice or a result of an imaginary hype.

So that's why all countries and organizations are taking this very very seriously. We will take a major hit. This is for sure. We are trying hard not to see the worse.

Again, if the virus disappears in summer as if nothing happened, we will all be happy and celebrate.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Did the US aplogise for H1NI that killed far more that what we see today?
What about the "Spanish" Flu that actually came from Kansas?

Dont open this Pandora box.

What does this irrelevant post have to do with my specific question? (I am sure there is a specific term to describe an attempted counter-argument which is irrelevant, evasive and obfuscatory.)

Further, your rhetorical question presumes that I will be hypocritical. Your presumption is incorrect.

If some flu originated in a market in a town in Kansas, and that town happened to be the only place in the entire United States of America with a high security virology lab, then, yes, I think the United States' president should have gone to the podium of the United Nations and pledged the then dis-inflated equivalent of $100 billion to combat that virus.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
What does this irrelevant post have to do with my specific question? (I am sure there is a specific term to describe an attempted counter-argument which is irrelevant, evasive and obfuscatory.)

Further, your rhetorical question presumes that I will be hypocritical. Your presumption is incorrect.

If some flu originated in a market in a town in Kansas, and that town happened to be the only place in the entire United States of America with a high security virology lab, then, yes, I think the United States' president should have gone to the podium of the United Nations and pledged the then dis-inflated equivalent of $100 billion to combat that virus.
Without getting political (hint,hint) fat chance of apologies happening from
any of the “great” leaders of the world ;)

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK

I can't see any value in starting a slanging match on this thread about the culpability or otherwise of China's role in the Covid 19 outbreak.
Aren't we supposed to steer clear of politics?

Reactions: Lagonda

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Again, if the virus disappears in summer as if nothing happened, we will all be happy and celebrate.

The thing is that something real big has already happened and we're just @ the beginning of it.
Right now the world is not what it was in 2019 when schools were open, music concerts were on, the global markets normal, the transportation normal, the airports normal, the planes flying in the skies all over, the churches open, no quarantines, cruise ships were sailing normal and docking in their normal destinations, ...people all over the world living their normal routines with what we are all used to; normal TV news, movies playing in theaters, sports events, ...all the regular stuff. It has all changed now, it started in January and now in March it's not something disappearing but expanding every single day. We are @ the threshold of a new frontier, mostly unknown and seriously impacting.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011

I presumed nothing about you being hypocritical. (Why would I?)

I showed precedent that NOBODY ever apologises...so why would you expect one now. Kansas was experimenting with a bacterial meningitis vaccine back then in any case. The Virus and the media are the enemy...not me nor you. We are blameless here.

The fact of where the virus comes from is in dispute...is it a bat or mammal from the market of the viral lab????

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I believe ONE case recorded in Cali, and State Of Emergency called.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
I hope it does go away at summer an we will all be happy. I have many close senior relatives including my mom and dad.

We are on the same side.

There WILL be great economic consequences. This is a fact. When we have a virulent virus loose we can't have any conventions, exhibitions. Tourism will have a major hit all around the world. Even if you survive the virus it is not an easy process. You will be away from your office at least 2-3 weeks. Hospitals will be a mess. We'll have enormous medical costs if we can the virus and survive. There WILL be economic consequences. This is not a choice or a result of an imaginary hype.

So that's why all countries and organizations are taking this very very seriously. We will take a major hit. This is for sure. We are trying hard not to see the worse.

Yes we are! Just as we try to contain the virus (its new and could mutate, so far better safe than sorry), we need to contain econ fallout (media hype does not help and the panic reactions globally are evident). Stagnation on the econ front will actually KILL people who live on marginal income

I cant talk right now, so will reach out later.
My respects.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I believe ONE case recorded in Cali, and State Of Emergency called.

there have been 6 cases in LA county. The one death occurred on a cruise shipofff the coast of California.

The big area of concern is in the Kirkland Washington area

Reactions: Duke LeJeune

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
The thing is that something real big has already happened and we're just @ the beginning of it.
Right now the world is not what it was in 2019 when schools were open, music concerts were on, the global markets normal, the transportation normal, the airports normal, the planes flying in the skies all over, the churches open, no quarantines, cruise ships were sailing normal and docking in their normal destinations, ...people all over the world living their normal routines with what we are all used to; normal TV news, movies playing in theaters, sports events, ...all the regular stuff. It has all changed now, it started in January and now in March it's not something disappearing but expanding every single day. We are @ the threshold of a new frontier, mostly unknown and seriously impacting.
Really Bob? Realy?
So the 1m deaths a month from CVD is no biggie by 25 deaths a month should change the world?

So if Covid20 arrives next year, we should ignore Covid19 as old news? That is prudent to you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing