DaVa FC-A1 a field coil contender

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Was the 1:50 in place when I stopped by ( weekend Ked was over )? Whatever the case the DaVa was sounding very good :)

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
A 1:50 gives 2db more gain than a 1:40. I am guessing RADA went 1:40 because their Precious phono is pretty high gain @ 50-53 db depending on tube . As a reference point the EM/IA is 42db with higher gain tube and 32db with lower gain option ( per manual ).

Just a guess. I know Darius (DaVa) and Dalius (RADA) are friends...

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
I am still sorting through this but the high ratio SUTs do not work with conventional phono stage input impedance (47K)as the gain gets attenuated by the load that the cartridge sees at such a high gain.

The Emia phono has much higher input impedance so the higher gain ratio works. IOW 1:50 won't work well at all with most phono's
Might have to use more of the Io's gain and less SUT step up. Check with your provider if you're not comfortable with the math.

The DaVa SUT is not going to be produced until at least May 2023 according to Darius.

Last edited:

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Iirc EM/IA builds their phono with 300k so higher input resistance, yes, and a more typical 120r reflected load with a 1:50 and ~ 76db gain.

On the other hand I know a few DaVa users doing 1:40 or 1:50 into 47k...

Thankfully changing 47k to higher value is , in many cases, one of the easier mods one might undertake or request ;)

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
Is there anyone not using an external sut with Dava but an mc phono preamp?

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Is there anyone not using an external sut with the Dava but an mc phono preamp?
i've used one of my internal mc phono's in my dart preamp and it sounded very good. i prefer my $40k EMIA Corrector/MC Trio set-up but the dart pre is excellent. Jonathan Tinn only uses his dart preamp with his DaVa Ref and really likes it (prefers it to his now up for sale DS Audio Master 1 Reference).

no reason not to use an mc active phono pre, other than preference for what an SUT brings.

Reactions: kodomo and bonzo75

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
I heard the much hyped Dava ref cartridge today at the Manila hifi show.
Hard to comment really on such an unfamiliar system
Didn't make me want to rush out and get one thou

20221112_130401.jpg

Attachments

• 20221112_130357.jpg
    20221112_130357.jpg
    768.5 KB · Views: 9

hogen

May 15, 2018
Oslo, Norway
I heard the much hyped Dava ref cartridge today at the Manila hifi show.
Hard to comment really on such an unfamiliar system
Didn't make me want to rush out and get one thou

View attachment 100213
I had the same feeling after hearing it in Warsaw a few weeks ago. Though lacking sound quality in a show of course does not mean the product cannot perform excellent in another setting.

Reactions: XV-1

Newtoncr

Aug 10, 2020
Cleveland, ohio
www.swgeneral.com
I plan to play it through my ch precision p1 phono stage when I get my dava cartridge in feb. Has anyone tried the dava with current amplification mode phono stages. The p1 has both modes was wondering which one would be most appropriate for the dava .

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
sounds absolutely fab!
dances through complex orchestral works like a dream
fantastic foundation in the lower registers and top resolution on heavy brass section of Sheffield Labs Romeo and Juliet

foundation and weight is always there with the arm, and emotion, but usual with other carts it rounds top a bit and even though real can be a bit muddy. However combined with DaVa the top and separation should all be there.

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Thread subscribed
Tip o the hat to Bonzo for clueing me in, and to Leif and Bill for their stalwart work in discovery and optimisation.

?
I plan to place an order once my finances permit. The lead time will also permit me to make a choice re my arm and existing cartridges;
If my aim was to have two working arm - cartridge combos, which of the following should i sacrifice?
(In other words, which combo will be eclipsed in all areas by the DaVa?)
Option a: Ikeda tonearm, Fuuga
Option b: Schroeder LT , vdH MSS

I'm aware the Schroeder isn't an ideal partner for the DaVa, so would select another, high mass tonearm in that case

Thank you in advance for your opinions

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
The Ikeda IT407 CR1 is my prime choice with wonderful control and superb tracking .
The low end is solid and full of harmonics and the top end sweet and seductive
all I need really
Thank you Leif.
My instinct is that the DaVa likely eclipses Fuuga, as users here have particularly praised it's bass performance. So that would leave my IT 407 free to carry the DaVa

Reactions: bonzo75

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Thread subscribed
Tip o the hat to Bonzo for clueing me in, and to Leif and Bill for their stalwart work in discovery and optimisation.

?
I plan to place an order once my finances permit. The lead time will also permit me to make a choice re my arm and existing cartridges;
If my aim was to have two working arm - cartridge combos, which of the following should i sacrifice?
(In other words, which combo will be eclipsed in all areas by the DaVa?)
Option a: Ikeda tonearm, Fuuga
Option b: Schroeder LT , vdH MSS

I'm aware the Schroeder isn't an ideal partner for the DaVa, so would select another, high mass tonearm in that case

Thank you in advance for your opinions

i would do ikeda DaVa plus Schroeder vdh. Keep in mind for finances it is half on order and half on delivery, unless you find used

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
i would do ikeda DaVa plus Schroeder vdh. Keep in mind for finances it is half on order and half on delivery, unless you find used
Thank you Ked

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
Thank you Leif.
My instinct is that the DaVa likely eclipses Fuuga, as users here have particularly praised it's bass performance. So that would leave my IT 407 free to carry the DaVa
I already have Fuuga and the Dava will be delivered next month. The turntables, the tonearms as well as the preamps won't be the same but still I may have an idea in between them.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing