DC Power Supply Cables?

Zuman

Feb 25, 2023
How much (if any) of a difference does the umbilical make that runs from an external linear dc power supply to a turntable or other device?
I've tried looking online for cables with a GX16/2 (two-pin screw-on) connector on one end and a 2.1mm barrel connector on the other (also a GX16/2 to 2.5mm cable), but most of the results are eBay imports. Even worse (I think), rather than terminating one end with an actual 2.1mm or 2.5mm plug, most of them employ a 2.1/2.5mm hybrid plug that uses a thin spring wire to press against the center pin of the receiving jack on the component.
I'd also like confidence that the cable is well-shielded (assuming shielding is important even when running 12V or 19V DC).
I don't know enough theory to be certain that this is an actual thing to be concerned about, but I don't feel good about having an expensive LPS on one end, an expensive component at the other, and a $5 cable-and-connector combination bringing them together.

Last edited:
I have used an upgraded DC cable between the power supply and control unit on both my Supratek and Cary preamplifers with noticeable audible improvements.
The one I used was from Revelation Audio Labs.
Might check with them about your needs and concerns on the cable construction.

DC cable upgrades made an easily audible improvement with my digital gear; switches, streamer, DAC. StarQuad construction is recommended for its superior noise rejection. I tried Canare and Gotham StarQuad cables from Ghent Audio and recommend this one. Drop down menus allow you to select length and terminations:

Some technical info from John Swenson:

Last edited:
Reactions: MarkusBarkus
I have a NordOst Tyr 2 DC power cable for Burmester 077 for sale if anybody is interested (sold the preamp).

Thanks, everyone. This is EXCELLENT feedback and information! What a joy to see responses like these instead of "You must be a moron for not understanding that your DC cable should be budgeted at 89.7% of your LPS cost" or "You must be an idiot for not understanding that for DC voltages between 0.14V and 21.6V cable composition, structure, and length are completely irrelevant!" ;)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing