MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

First let me congratulate you and also welcome you the Vivaldi Club!;)

No one except the DCS people knows exactly how the netbridge will sound, but I can expect that the upsampler sounds better playing from a NAS or Tidal than the netbridge, particularly if using the Vivaldi clock to synchronize both units.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
First let me congratulate you and also welcome you the Vivaldi Club!;)

No one except the DCS people knows exactly how the netbridge will sound, but I can expect that the upsampler sounds better playing from a NAS or Tidal than the netbridge, particularly if using the Vivaldi clock to synchronize both units.

The netbridge is basically the Upsampler without the upsampling. Besides, if it requires the addition of the external clock to make the two work well together, it would truly negate that as an option for me (at least for the foreseeable future). In that sense I guess I'm not a full fledged member of the Vivaldi Club and more a wannabe. :)

In any case, I have a taste of the greatness that you guys get to enjoy (and the best DAC that I've ever had in my system) and I'm very grateful!

Tand

Nov 26, 2013
Norway
Hi MadFloyd

Congratulations with the Vivaldi Dac. The Vivaldi is very high on my list which dac to try out if I ever should change my Berkeley Ref. Anyone compared both of you lucky Vivaldi owners?

Best Tommy

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
The netbridge is basically the Upsampler without the upsampling. Besides, if it requires the addition of the external clock to make the two work well together, it would truly negate that as an option for me (at least for the foreseeable future). In that sense I guess I'm not a full fledged member of the Vivaldi Club and more a wannabe. :)

In any case, I have a taste of the greatness that you guys get to enjoy (and the best DAC that I've ever had in my system) and I'm very grateful!

As the saying goes, membership has its privileges...one of them is continuing to go long on DCS Vivaldi equipment now! ;) In the meantime, in the overall scale of memberships, you are surely in the enviable 99.9%+ of performance...as audiophiles, we all count the fractions of the percentage...but you are truly in a rarefied space now. Congrats...very happy to see it.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi MadFloyd

Congratulations with the Vivaldi Dac. The Vivaldi is very high on my list which dac to try out if I ever should change my Berkeley Ref. Anyone compared both of you lucky Vivaldi owners?

Best Tommy

Hi Tommy,

fantastic system...something makes me think i may have already asked this question...but i would appreciate your notes on a few things about your system:

1. The Krell MRA...would to hear your listening notes. Have you compared with any other amps?...always fascinated by one of Dan D'Agostino's masterpiece creations
2. The QSub15...would love to hear your listening notes and also to find out HOW it changed/improved the sound of your main speakers. Did you compare to any other subs by any chance?

Thanks!

Tand

Nov 26, 2013
Norway
Hi Tommy,

fantastic system...something makes me think i may have already asked this question...but i would appreciate your notes on a few things about your system:

1. The Krell MRA...would to hear your listening notes. Have you compared with any other amps?...always fascinated by one of Dan D'Agostino's masterpiece creations
2. The QSub15...would love to hear your listening notes and also to find out HOW it changed/improved the sound of your main speakers. Did you compare to any other subs by any chance?

Thanks!

Hi

Thank you for the kind words.

I used to have Evolution 900 before the MRAs and they are the only I can compare directly with, especially since most of my gear has been changed a multiple times before i bought my 900 and MRAs.

With MRAs massive power they will play anything with ease. This gives a sense of natural flow in the music which sounds spooky real. They also soundstage way beyond my walls in all directions. The Evolution 900 sounds almost "constricted" in comparison.

Yes, they are very, very big and heavy and use a lot of current and there are probably amps out there with better resoluton. But I dont care. The MRAs was, and still is, my dream amp and still will be in the furure :). I just got the Evolution Two connected with even more sonic bliss, so I am very pleased now.

I used to have Velodyne DD18 and Velodyne 1812 and they both sound great. But the Qsub15 is in a different league. Especially the way it blends/integrates. My M Pros plays fullrange and the Qsub is cross overed at 50 hz. In short the QSub15 is definitivt on par with my M Pros and combined they play absolutt fantastic. They project ambience and thunderous, tight bass with great ease and definition. Very adictive sound. And yes, 2 x subs would probably be even better. One day:)!

Best
Tommy

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Thanks John - but these are DSD256 and DSD64 native recordings. Although very interesting music - I am getting the Cammerata, I already own the Sor guitar sonatas in LP - I am currently looking for native DSD128.

number95

May 14, 2014
Ian,

Congratulations on your Vivaldi DAC. Enjoy!

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Hi MadFloyd

Best Tommy

Hello Tommy. I have not done that exact direct comparison, however, fellow member Al M. and I did directly compare the dCS Rossini to the Berkeley Ref in a highly resolving Spectral/MIT/Magico Q1 system and preferred the Rossini. I thought the difference was greater than Al did. The Rossini basically sounded more natural. Both DACs had lots of resolution and few if any digital artifacts, but the Rossini sounded more continuous, smooth, and real. More extensive impressions can be found in our WBF Rossini thread. So, I would suspect the Vivaldi is even better and then you also have the many upgrade options of the entire Vivaldi stack.

Tand

Nov 26, 2013
Norway
Hello Tommy. I have not done that exact direct comparison, however, fellow member Al M. and I did directly compare the dCS Rossini to the Berkeley Ref in a highly resolving Spectral/MIT/Magico Q1 system and preferred the Rossini. I thought the difference was greater than Al did. The Rossini basically sounded more natural. Both DACs had lots of resolution and few if any digital artifacts, but the Rossini sounded more continuous, smooth, and real. More extensive impressions can be found in our WBF Rossini thread. So, I would suspect the Vivaldi is even better and then you also have the many upgrade options of the entire Vivaldi stack.

Thanks for the feedback Peter.

I guess I have to be prepared to dig deep in my pockets then as I understand the consensus is that Vivaldi (+stack) is better.

On the other hand, ignorance can be bliss and I can live happily with my soon upgraded version 2...(very delayed that is). But Vivaldi is tempting :)

Tommy

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Thanks John - but these are DSD256 and DSD64 native recordings. Although very interesting music - I am getting the Cammerata, I already own the Sor guitar sonatas in LP - I am currently looking for native DSD128.

Try this one. Tape to DSD128 https://naxos.nativedsd.com/albums/813543021964-barock

I don't have it so can't comment on the recording. 2xHD label seems to have a few right to DSD128...On a side note I have enjoyed the recordings off the DXD edit masters. I purchase them in DXD and play it back in DXD...like that Mahler from Reference Recordings...

Not chamber...but if you like Bill Evans. This is a excellent recording at DSD128 from tape. https://2xhd.nativedsd.com/albums/2...r-time-the-lost-session-from-the-black-forest

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Love Bill Evans

This is a great recording...

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011

No no no
I'll say it again......The clock offers very little in a Upsampler system
The Upsampler on the other hand is where it's at. Start with the power supply in the Upsampler and go from there
The Netbridge was put out for the older dCS systems...it'll be good but Vivaldi is great

JimmyS

Sep 1, 2013
Chicago, IL

Same experience here when I directly compared both on a Spectral / MIT / Magico S3 system.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
No no no
I'll say it again......The clock offers very little in a Upsampler system
The Upsampler on the other hand is where it's at. Start with the power supply in the Upsampler and go from there
The Netbridge was put out for the older dCS systems...it'll be good but Vivaldi is great

Forums are really a source of disagreement. :D Just tried the listen with and without clock from the NAS (Sinology 416j, minimserver, DCS application, redbook file) through the upsampler - all is needed is switching it off and on. Voices loose some nuance, the feeling of being there and immediacy reduces significantly, the attack of plugged instruments looses speed.

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
U can't just switch off the clock..u need to rewire the upsampler to the dac...

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
U can't just switch off the clock..u need to rewire the upsampler to the dac...

Do you mean using the clock out of the upsampler to synchronize the DAC?

I will try this mode later.

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Yes
Universal Master Mode

I'll be interested in what you find.....

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing