DCS Vivaldi

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
For the record, I'm not saying that it's better to go direct. I do think that the volume control is implemented very well. I happen to prefer going direct at the moment, but I am searching for a preamp that will change my mind - especially important as I have an analog source as well.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Question: do you need to put the system to sleep via the Vivaldi app? I can wake it via the remote, but the only way I have found to put it in sleep mode is through the app.

Jim Smith

Industry Expert
Dec 14, 2012
Of course, that means the Vivaldi MUST be on all the time.

And the output selection is important, to make sure you are not throwing any resolution away.

If it sounds slightly compressed - less alive in your system - the preamp is the way to go.

The Vivaldi is so good, the preamp needs to be up to the task at hand.

However, anyone that can afford a Vivaldi may likely have such a preamp...

ct545i

Nov 24, 2015
Question: do you need to put the system to sleep via the Vivaldi app? I can wake it via the remote, but the only way I have found to put it in sleep mode is through the app.

If you hold the power button (same one you use to wake it up) on the remote for ~2+ seconds , it will put it to sleep mode.

XCop5089

Sep 5, 2015
Winchester, UK
For the record, I'm not saying that it's better to go direct. I do think that the volume control is implemented very well. I happen to prefer going direct at the moment, but I am searching for a preamp that will change my mind - especially important as I have an analog source as well.

I have a Vivaldi 2 full stack and also listen to vinyl, so a preamp in the chain is mandatory.

I have tried the Vivaldi DAC directly coupled to my Conrad Johnson Premier 350 power amp and also via my CJ GAT 2 preamp.

I too, prefer the preamp in the signal chain, but have to say that the Vivaldi DAC digital volume control is very good indeed. If I didn't still have so many records from my formative years in the 70's/80's, I would say that the Vivaldi DAC straight to a quality power amp is the way to go for anyone with a digital only front end!

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
If you hold the power button (same one you use to wake it up) on the remote for ~2+ seconds , it will put it to sleep mode.

Thank you!

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011

Why would you sleep the Vivaldi stack?

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Why would you sleep the Vivaldi stack?

Microstrip first mentioned here saying dCS recommended it. Reading the manual it says:
"To avoid unnecessary display wear, we recommend switching off or setting the unit to Sleep mode after the listening session."

The display turns off but the unit remains close to running temperature.

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Microstrip first mentioned here saying dCS recommended it. Reading the manual it says:
"To avoid unnecessary display wear, we recommend switching off or setting the unit to Sleep mode after the listening session."

The display turns off but the unit remains close to running temperature.

Just turn the displays off in the app, leaving units on .....

Any thoughts on my PM?

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Just turn the displays off in the app, leaving units on .....

Any thoughts on my PM?

I used to have the displays off, but found I liked being able to glance over at the sample rate, but yes, I would think simply turning the displays off is a perfectly valid route.

No, sorry, I got distracted and forgot! I have to locate the item you suggested (most likely in my attic) but I will try to do that tonight...

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I have a Vivaldi 2 full stack and also listen to vinyl, so a preamp in the chain is mandatory.

I have tried the Vivaldi DAC directly coupled to my Conrad Johnson Premier 350 power amp and also via my CJ GAT 2 preamp.

I too, prefer the preamp in the signal chain, but have to say that the Vivaldi DAC digital volume control is very good indeed. If I didn't still have so many records from my formative years in the 70's/80's, I would say that the Vivaldi DAC straight to a quality power amp is the way to go for anyone with a digital only front end!

XCop, if you prefer the preamp in the signal chain, I presume because it sounds better to you, would you not also recommend it in a digital only front end system?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

IMHO the best test to carry with your excellent Premier 350 would be using the SMC Interocitor/Flexconnect http://smcaudio.com/products/flex-connect/ to connect the balanced output of the Vivaldi to the cj 350. This unit is more than just a transformer, and besides reduces the signal of -12dB, a very good point for the Premier 350. A good friend having a Premier 350 borrowed my Flexconnect and I never got it back ... I had to recognize it improved a lot his system (McIntosh tube balanced preamplfier and Wilson Puppy/Watt7!

XCop5089

Sep 5, 2015
Winchester, UK
XCop, if you prefer the preamp in the signal chain, I presume because it sounds better to you, would you not also recommend it in a digital only front end system?

Peter

As this forum is "What's Best" I can see your argument and yes, for the ultimate performance, I would recommend a preamp in the signal chain. However, I think if my source was digital only, I would spend the £27K cost of a GAT2 in the UK elsewhere!

XCop5089

Sep 5, 2015
Winchester, UK
IMHO the best test to carry with your excellent Premier 350 would be using the SMC Interocitor/Flexconnect http://smcaudio.com/products/flex-connect/ to connect the balanced output of the Vivaldi to the cj 350. This unit is more than just a transformer, and besides reduces the signal of -12dB, a very good point for the Premier 350. A good friend having a Premier 350 borrowed my Flexconnect and I never got it back ... I had to recognize it improved a lot his system (McIntosh tube balanced preamplfier and Wilson Puppy/Watt7!

Interesting!

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Thanks, very interesting information. I quote from it:

The new mappers distribute the latches differently – one of the things that is different between the new mappers and the old one is that we have changed the distortion harmonics distribution between them. So, for example, one of the new mappers has reduced thirds and slightly increased seconds. The act of changing the speed at which the DAC runs introduces a slightly different set of compromises, mostly to do with noise distribution.

So Vivaldi owners do not need SETs - we just push buttons, :D as the the old mapper is still available in the setting menus. What is curious is that these distortions, at the -130 dV level are audible!

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Thanks, very interesting information. I quote from it:

The new mappers distribute the latches differently – one of the things that is different between the new mappers and the old one is that we have changed the distortion harmonics distribution between them. So, for example, one of the new mappers has reduced thirds and slightly increased seconds. The act of changing the speed at which the DAC runs introduces a slightly different set of compromises, mostly to do with noise distribution.

So Vivaldi owners do not need SETs - we just push buttons, :D as the the old mapper is still available in the setting menus. What is curious is that these distortions, at the -130 dV level are audible!

My dCS dealer went on to say that the previous mapper may have latches "when switched on" were close to each other. This emitted a small amount of RFI...the new mappers spread this out some...reducing the RFI...

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I've never tried my Vivaldi direct. But you've convinced me I need to try it...I'll report back by the weekend what my thoughts are...

Looking forward to your thoughts!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
+1

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing