DCS Vivaldi

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
I’m fine with them not competing with Roon. I am interested in them creating a more robust GUI. If they’re not interested in designing something that offers more useablity, why not just use a handheld remote?..... I am new to DCS and this is meant as an honest question. What is their philosophy on this?

Here is one comment from dCS regarding the Mosaic App.
When Mosaic Control was conceived, a requirement was that it be possible to switch between Roon (library management, playback) and Mosaic Control (settings management) with as little disruption as possible. That means that you can launch Mosaic Control and navigate to the dCS Processing Platform settings page (upsampling, filters, and mappers), use Roon for playback, and then go back to Mosaic Control at any time in the future and have the settings page instantly available.

You can ask this question on he docs community forum for a better answer than I might provide.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ovenmitt

Ovenmitt

Nov 21, 2017
Here is one comment from dCS regarding the Mosaic App.
When Mosaic Control was conceived, a requirement was that it be possible to switch between Roon (library management, playback) and Mosaic Control (settings management) with as little disruption as possible. That means that you can launch Mosaic Control and navigate to the dCS Processing Platform settings page (upsampling, filters, and mappers), use Roon for playback, and then go back to Mosaic Control at any time in the future and have the settings page instantly available.

You can ask this question on he docs community forum for a better answer than I might provide.

That makes sense.... thank you for the explanation.

jvvita

Jul 2, 2019
Guys, I just got into the Vivaldi system. I got the Dac, the upsampler and the clock.

After upgrading to the latest software version, I began listening and tweaking.

What filters and upsampling rates do you prefer?

Also, I did notice stuttering when upsampling high-res (192khz) to DSDx2. Do you also experience this?

Sa683s

Jun 26, 2017
Guys, I just got into the Vivaldi system. I got the Dac, the upsampler and the clock.

Also, I did notice stuttering when upsampling high-res (192khz) to DSDx2. Do you also experience this?

Filter3, I think it depends on listening area too.
Prefer DXD for CD to me other than DSD/DSDx2
Save money to buy transport , it’s the best piece of dCS.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Filter3, I think it depends on listening area too.
Prefer DXD for CD to me other than DSD/DSDx2
Save money to buy transport , it’s the best piece of dCS.

I'm a DSDx2 guy. My dealer likes DXD for upsampling redbook. I suspect this is listener and system dependent.

So I use mapper 3. Filter 5 off the upsampled for 16/44. Then DSDx2 filter 5 on the dac

Reactions: XCop5089

jvvita

Jul 2, 2019
I'm a DSDx2 guy. My dealer likes DXD for upsampling redbook. I suspect this is listener and system dependent.

So I use mapper 3. Filter 5 off the upsampled for 16/44. Then DSDx2 filter 5 on the dac

And did you ever face any stuttering when using DSDx2?

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
I have never had a stuttering issue with either DSDx2 or DXD. I go back and forth between DSD and DXD every couple of months. Changing up keeps it interesting. I also use MAP3 most of the time. All MQA files are played using the MQA filter.

jvvita

Jul 2, 2019
That is odd. When I play AIFF high res through Roon, DSDx2 stutters. No other rates suffers. Well, it was my first day with the Vivaldi. I will try with the original flac file.

Ovenmitt

Nov 21, 2017

I have my system at these settings as well - mapper, filters, sample rates.... I do sometimes switch to DXD, but find when I come back to DSDx2 I'm happy. I wonder if your stuttering problems are related to how you have the clock settings set-up? Is everything syncing to your master clock?

jvvita

Jul 2, 2019
The icons show as if it is in sync. And when I change to DSDx1 no stuttering happens. I posted a ticket on dCS community support. Let's see how they troubleshoot

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Was the DAC upgrade successful? I think you can get such problems if you upgraded the upsampler and not the DAC.
Also, are your clock settings showing a W?

jvvita

Jul 2, 2019
The Dac shows v2.11 as software. It must have been successful, because I face no other difficulties. The clocks all show as being in sync

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin

jvvita

Jul 2, 2019
It turned out as a clock config problem. Both groups were reverting to 44.1. Solved. Thanks for all the input

Ovenmitt

Nov 21, 2017
Good to hear you solved your problem jvvita...... now wish me luck; I am in network hell right now. I had a new internet service installed two weeks ago and week later a lightning storm took out my router, and two switches - thankfully everything else is fine. I still haven’t been able to get everything up and talking.

jvvita

Jul 2, 2019
Terribly sorry to hear about it. Until now, never had a bad experience with lightning storms. But I am glad your streamer survived. Did the cables get burned? I've seen cases where ethernet cables virtualy melted.

Patatorz

VIP/Donor
Aug 8, 2015
France
patatorz.com
Hello, so

hello, sorry for the stupid question but how to select DxD upsampling with an upsampler and vivaldi DAC ? DSdx2 is available from Mosaic but not DxD.

Thanks

jvvita

Jul 2, 2019
You have to go menu -> settings -> dxd locked
Then in Mosaic you select either 352 or 384. Upsampler will adjust automatically depending on the family rate of the file (44.1 or 48).

My experience with DxD is a more focused layout, but the soundstage narrower and with less ambience. You feel like in a petit concert. For accoustic music, for me it is the best. But for big bands or rock, the DSD ambience beats it hand down.

Hope it helps

Last edited:

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
I go back and forth between DXD and DSD. I go with one for a couple of months then back to the other. It seems I like change in my setup. I “might ‘ give the slightest edge to DSD.

Reactions: jfrech

TLi

May 27, 2016
My experience is DSD has smaller focus and more detailed presentation, DXD gives fuller and dynamic sound.

It is a matter of personal preference to choose which one.

Reactions: XCop5089 and jfrech

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing