HughP3

VIP/Donor
Apr 25, 2019
Reactions: Macattack

LenWhite

Feb 11, 2011
Florida
systems.audiogon.com
I think I've been very fortunate to build a pretty good listening room. But your room is off the charts. Congratulations and enjoy what must sound close to a live performance with great source material!

Reactions: HughP3

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
The system is complete! I am very relieved to say the room and system have met and exceeded my very high expectations. First many thanks to Dennis Foley and Joe Cali for leading me through this adventure. I took a leap of faith on the room build and it has met its design requirements to the T. Joe has been so enthusiastic. His knowledge and experience is far more than I could ever accumulate yet he was so kind in tempering his advice, most appreciated. Joe could not make the setup but managed to have his long time friend and colleague Michael Fuschi (the golden ears) and his ace installer Kenny Medina come out. Let me say not the smallest detail was missed. Michael was Joe’s partner in the Cello/Mark Levison days. He has the ear. Cliff notes version of the setup from him was “shit this is good” and dont’ touch the room. We have not done a sweep yet. I would like for Dennis to do that whenever he is able/willing to travel again. walking around all the corners there was NO bass build up in any corner. Its eerie kind like the old joke about a cooler how does the damn thing know its hot or cold. All that carbon + layering etc. really does work.

The system is incredibly dynamic and the sound stage illusion is like sitting in the best seats. Granted I am not remotely as experienced to many here but I have never experienced such a wide soundstage and dimensional depth. The Tridents allow me to play with the bass volume and Q with a wireless remote. Michael set the Q and said leave it there but play with the bass which can be +- 6 db. Its is so cool. If the male voice is a little thick or the bass is light or too heavy just a few clicks causes the voice and bass to tighten up, snap into place. I love the Lifx leds for mood lighting, yes they are quirky because of typicall IP conflicts but once i boot everything up in proper order there were no issues. The Innuos Statement feeding the MSB Reference to the Pandora with Tidal/ripped CD‘s is fantastic. Only crtisims is iPeng with Tidal. Seems iPeng has buried or lost about half the real Tidal app functionality. For instance where is all of the Tidal ”find Like this track” menu or add to Tidal favorites. Maybe i do need Roon after all if this stuff really is not there.

Thanks all for following this thead. 13 months and a dead bank account but yeah it was worth it.

This is AWESOME! Congratulations and enjoy in good health. Have really enjoyed following this thread.

Reactions: Pokey77 and HughP3

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Outstanding! Enjoy! BTW is that an Artesania damping plate on top of the Gryphon amp? We use them in our system as well...great stuff.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I gather it's possible to buy the Gryphon Trident without the woofer tower.

gshelley

Member Sponsor
Jan 10, 2011
Austin, TX
Fantastic looking outcome from all the work and effort. i’ll bet it sounds spectacular.
its been fun to watch the evolution. Thanks for sharing.

HughP3

VIP/Donor
Apr 25, 2019

HughP3

VIP/Donor
Apr 25, 2019
Outstanding! Enjoy! BTW is that an Artesania damping plate on top of the Gryphon amp? We use them in our system as well...great stuff.
Yes it is. Nice indeed!

and thanks everyone for the great comments!

Macattack

VIP/Donor
Aug 21, 2014
SC Low country

HughP3

VIP/Donor
Apr 25, 2019
Hugh

i wanted to say I spent yesterday afternoon at Philips house listening to your speakers. They are kick ass great

Awesome Steve. I am in heaven. Had a few close friends over tonight that have never heard a full on system + a high rez room, as myself, they were floored.

Reactions: christoph
Hugh,
I look forward to visiting Lorie & yourself and hearing this amazing room for myself.
warm regards
Philip

Reactions: Lee and HughP3

HughP3

VIP/Donor
Apr 25, 2019
Hugh,
I look forward to visiting Lorie & yourself and hearing this amazing room for myself.
warm regards
Philip

Look forward to that day Phillip! I will temp you further, your favorite beverages will be queuing up before your esteemed arrival. Hopefully Joe and Lori could coincide their visit with yours. Would be epic. Take care, Hugh

Aussienut

Jun 22, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
a few more pictures
Hi,

A true SOTA room and system. Certainly a stellar effort and fantastic outcome. Now sit back and enjoy your new music experience.

HughP3

VIP/Donor
Apr 25, 2019
Hi,

A true SOTA room and system. Certainly a stellar effort and fantastic outcome. Now sit back and enjoy your new music experience.

Thank you! Btw Very very nice system you have.

Aussienut

Jun 22, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
Reactions: christoph

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Congrats Hugh!
You've set a bar really really high. Amazing

Cheers;
G

HughP3

VIP/Donor
Apr 25, 2019
My room is not in the same league as yours but we all have to work with what we can get away with. Having freedom to decide your own room dimensions must be a big advantage to start from. I should create my own system post one day but for now a few photos are at:
https://www.whatsbestforum.com/thre...uck-used-speakers-under-50k.28018/post-575151

@Aussienut Great room! some really thoughtful details in the build. And yes beer does help sonic's, its a proven fact;)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing