Degritter ultrasonic record cleaner

Hi y’all, just a few words on what I think is a worthy alternative to the Audio Desk Systeme and KLAudio ultrasonic cleaners.

http://degritter.com/media-kit/

I’ve been a beta tester on the Degritter for the last few weeks, and am happy to offer my opinions and answer any qs for those interested.

I believe official launch is in early May, and at this stage after a couple of quibbles in day to day use, I’m planning to keep my unit, it’s been a pretty good success, and invaluable addition to day to day life as a vinyl addict.

Last edited by a moderator:

Comments

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Kodomo, I really can’t comment on the other machines.

For me the professional and pro-active attitude of the company during the beta test period augurs well for the whole enterprise.

Indeed, they’ve updated the machine as a result of use in the field.

All I can say is that despite one self-inflicted issue that was purely my fault, the machine hasn’t missed a beat.

Whether it can take dozens of cleans in succession, I really have no idea.

Last edited:

awsmone

Apr 7, 2014
Canberra Australia
Marc

i do think its exciting if there is a new reliable manufacturer

have u considered doing a short video like MF showing u using the machine?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Awsmone, I’m going to pass on that. I understand the request, but I struggle even to upload simple photos. I’m afraid you’re going to have to settle for my words alone.
Sorry.

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
I mailed them Marc and let them know I heard it through you :)

I am willing to get one and try it. I liked their approach and tech as well. Hope it all turns out good!

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Good for you, Kodomo. I really hope it goes successfully. Thanks for the name check. Taniel Põld at Degritter is a very attentive, friendly and professional fellow. I hope your experience is as good as mine.

I’ve never had to wait more than 24 hours for a reply to a question, indeed he often answered within the hour. A good example of how a beta testing experience should go.

As I’ve made my way thru the high end jungle, a significant reason for investing in the brands I have done so is good customer contact/pro-activeness. Either friendly, prompt comms with the designers involved, or great dealer back up. Degritter fit the former category. Obviously the product needs to be exemplary too, and this seems to be the case.

But I do realise it’s early days, and l/t reliability can’t easily be judged yet.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Awsmone, I’m going to pass on that. I understand the request, but I struggle even to upload simple photos. I’m afraid you’re going to have to settle for my words alone.
Sorry.
Marc, if you are worried how you look on camera, we can do the video shoot when I visit you... Might get more hits that way

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Marc, if you are worried how you look on camera, we can do the video shoot when I visit you... Might get more hits that way
Some sound clip too Bonzo.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ked, as long as you stay behind the camera, I think we can all rest at night.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I would like to think this will be a thrilling video, but there’s only so much one can do to jazz up an lp being cleaned.

Anyhow, all TBA, Ked has to fit me in between his authentic hifi visits.

DaveyF

Administrator
Aug 1, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Marc, couple of additional questions about the little toaster. ( Ok, Degritter)

After each cleaning cycle, how dry are the records? ( areas of moisture still left on surface?) Does utilizing a slightly warped record impact the result at all ( less dry at end of cycle, areas that are less clean etc.,), how much noise does the unit give off going through the various cycles?
How much heat does the unit give off when drying or cleaning? Have you tried a very dirty record....large fingerprints, smudges, oil etc.,? What is the typical cycle time for a complete cleaning? Does the little guy allow for 45's?

Thanks.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Thoughts coming up

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Davey,
I tend to find one needs 2’15-2’30 drying time, under 2 mins and some moisture is evident

Haven’t tried a warped lp yet

Noise, manageable during cleaning cycle, drying cycle louder, I believe 60dB is the figure quoted by Degritter, akin to a domestic hairdryer at full pelt

Using the cleaning agent I’m having no issues getting rid of debris, greasy fingerprints etc

I’m going for 5 mins clean/2 mins 30 dry, but one can cut this down to 3 mins/1 min if you wish

Heat generated is not an issue, it uses a gentler frequency with more emitters I believe which seems to keep heat down

No go for 45s I’m afraid

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Wow no 45 rpm? Seriously? Why?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I might be wrong Ked, but the record bath accommodates lps only.

45s would need an adaptor, I can check with the company.

So Ked, do you have a big collection of Doo Wop and Motown singles?
Maybe you’ve got a secret stash of NWA, Justin Bieber and Kanye West 45s that need cleaning.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I have been getting some 45 reissues. ORG and classic records

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I might be wrong Ked, but the record bath accommodates lps only.

45s would need an adaptor, I can check with the company.

So Ked, do you have a big collection of Doo Wop and Motown singles?
Maybe you’ve got a secret stash of NWA, Justin Bieber and Kanye West 45s that need cleaning.
I think Ked is likely referring to 12" 45's, mostly re-issues. not the little ones.

a generational perspective issue. :)

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
No problem with 45rpm.
Indeed Ked can spin his head around at whatever rpm he likes, the Degritter will do all 12” records just fine.

It’s 7” ones that don’t work. I believe this is true for the ADS and KLA too?

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
No problem with 45rpm.
Indeed Ked can spin his head around at whatever rpm he likes, the Degritter will do all 12” records just fine.

It’s 7” ones that don’t work. I believe this is true for the ADS and KLA too?
KLA offers a template for small 45's. but not any 10" template that I've seen.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Lol

May 30, 2010
Portugal
How do people check for the effectiveness of ultrasonic cleaning machines? Just subjectively?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. A place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss existing and new audio products, music servers, music streamers and computer audio, digital to audio convertors (DACS), turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel to reel, speakers, headphones, tube amplifiers and solid state amplification. Founded in 2010 What's Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing