Degritter ultrasonic record cleaner

Hi y’all, just a few words on what I think is a worthy alternative to the Audio Desk Systeme and KLAudio ultrasonic cleaners.

http://degritter.com/media-kit/

I’ve been a beta tester on the Degritter for the last few weeks, and am happy to offer my opinions and answer any qs for those interested.

I believe official launch is in early May, and at this stage after a couple of quibbles in day to day use, I’m planning to keep my unit, it’s been a pretty good success, and invaluable addition to day to day life as a vinyl addict.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kedar doesn’t need a record cleaner. Even when he completes constructing his own system, he would spend more time going out to listen to other people’s system than his own anyway.

Tang :D

Reactions: infinitely baffled
Tang, I’ve had a few “oo-er!” moments with poor vinyl and my poor long suffering stylus.

I’ll do everyone a favour if I clean Ked’s lps.

Ked, Marc must mean that the machine can't do 7" disks. If it can't do 12" 45 RPM records that would be a real problem.

EDIT: just read the laters posts and this has been addressed.

How do people check for the effectiveness of ultrasonic cleaning machines? Just subjectively?

When I first did my DIY setup (Elma P60H) I did a few before/after needledrops and compared fixed samples using declick algorithm and subjective listening. Post ultrasonic is always 10-30% less repairs (on a typical VG+ to EX used record) than the needledrop with the record already cleaned on VPI with Art Du Son fluid. Subjectively the ultrasonic machine also reduces the noise floor & improves imaging/soundstage/space on ALL records - even brand new ones. This is something a vacuum based cleaner can not do in my experience.

Davey,
I tend to find one needs 2’15-2’30 drying time, under 2 mins and some moisture is evident

Haven’t tried a warped lp yet

Noise, manageable during cleaning cycle, drying cycle louder, I believe 60dB is the figure quoted by Degritter, akin to a domestic hairdryer at full pelt

Using the cleaning agent I’m having no issues getting rid of debris, greasy fingerprints etc

I’m going for 5 mins clean/2 mins 30 dry, but one can cut this down to 3 mins/1 min if you wish

Heat generated is not an issue, it uses a gentler frequency with more emitters I believe which seems to keep heat down

No go for 45s I’m afraid

With my KLA I use 2 minutes less and it’s not dry

With my diy, them seem less wet at the end of the process and find 1 minute is enough

Kedar doesn’t need a record cleaner. Even when he completes constructing his own system, he would spend more time going out to listen to other people’s system than his own anyway.

Tang :D

Then he will start travelling the world looking for the best record cleaning machine
Preferably a horn based cleaning machine with the tone of a good SET

But then again, he would like a cleaning machine with the transparency of an apogee, but easier to drive

A cleaning machine with the torque of a rim drive, the quietness of a belt drive, and the speed accuracy of a direct drive ;)

How do people check for the effectiveness of ultrasonic cleaning machines? Just subjectively?

Yes, subjectively and even that is fairly generalized over multiple records. Heraclitus reminds us: You can never clean the same record twice.

Thanks for the input on this technique. I can see that some people use just pure distilled water, but others claim that additional surfactant is needed for good cleaning. As most machines clean the record by evaporation I do not feel happy with the idea of using additional liquids. Any feedback on this issue?

IMHO we should combine ultrasonics with vacuum cleaning - I have seen a few brilliant DIY projects fulfilling my dream. For example see:

I think it's pointless to clean a record with just water, ultrasound or not. A lot of the crap that gets deposited in a record needs those chemicals to be brought closer to surface, or at least get them loose so the ultrasound blast in water bath can work properly.
The Audio Desk also does not vacuum, it blows air into the record to dry it. This makes the records completely static-free, while vacuum drying will generally leave the record with lots more static than it began with.

I think it's pointless to clean a record with just water, ultrasound or not. A lot of the crap that gets deposited in a record needs those chemicals to be brought closer to surface, or at least get them loose so the ultrasound blast in water bath can work properly.
The Audio Desk also does not vacuum, it blows air into the record to dry it. This makes the records completely static-free, while vacuum drying will generally leave the record with lots more static than it began with.

I agree with this basically, although IME water ( so long as it is distilled) can work for some light cleaning. OTOH, I do not think that static is increased on a record that is vacuum cleaned....this has not been my experience at all.

Thats what the surfactant in the US tank mix is there for. Triton X100 or Tergitol work very very well and are used by archival institutions the world over. You can also add quats (via industrial cleaners) specifically for anti static but I have not found this neccesary as the record stays static free for several playings after it comes out of the US and I rinse it on the VPI.

I happen to agree with them, I find the two popular ultrasonic cleaners too aggressive and I think that the more aggressive of the two actually has a negative effect on the sound.

What are the consumables on this machine?

david

This is only going to be a concise review, just to give an idea of the feel of the unit, and it’s method of operation.

It’s a pretty smart piece of industrial design, not unlike a very nice matt silver toaster.

In one slot sits the lp, in the other the slot that secures the water tank.

On the front panel are a couple of dials to choose function and a scrolling display window that indicates cleaning cycle, times and fault finding.

So, pop the lp in the slot, fill the water tank with distilled water/small amount cleaning fluid, choose length of clean/drying period, and get going.

The water tank transfers water into the lp tank, and when complete the ultrasonic cycle starts, gentle rotating the lp while the machine does it’s work.

The Degritter’s main claim to fame is that the cycle is gentler at 120Hz rather than the 40-60Hz used by competing machines.

The reason for this is to:
1- caress the lp rather than blast it, so minimising any potential over pressure on lp grooves.
2- the bubbles are thus smaller meaning the cavitation goes deeper into the grooves/more effective.

Additionally the water is filtered after each wash removing all debris/particles, utilising removable filter, which then can be washed subsequently.

So, the machine works more gently and more deeply than its competitors, and also uniquely filters the cleaning water so subsequent cycles are less polluted.

Now as beta tester, I did have one issue, but this was purely my fault, and so I have to give the machine 100% reliability record, now 100 lps cleaned.

I can genuinely say the Degritter absolutely cleans more effectively than my long-standing Loricraft PRC4, even dealing with fingerprints/greasy residue.

Lps emerge shiny, as new in many ways. SQ is decidedly improved, like all good audio upgrades, a layer of haze is removed.

My system is really detailed and revealing now, and I can pick up definite improvements in sound, especially lack of background hash, and greater delicacy/microdynamics.

In addition, I love the aesthetics and user interface, it’s a joy to operate, my Loricraft was always too Heath Robinson/clunky/messy for my liking, the Degritter just keeps the simplicity to a maximum, and gunk to a minimum.

And the resultant SQ is in another league.

It certainly won’t hurt the company to be more affordable than ADS and KLA, and if the USP on 120Hz ultrasonics and filtering of each wash, plus excellent useability/aesthetics/feel, appeal to potential consumers, the unit will really deserve to sell.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing