Degritter ultrasonic record cleaner

Hi y’all, just a few words on what I think is a worthy alternative to the Audio Desk Systeme and KLAudio ultrasonic cleaners.

http://degritter.com/media-kit/

I’ve been a beta tester on the Degritter for the last few weeks, and am happy to offer my opinions and answer any qs for those interested.

I believe official launch is in early May, and at this stage after a couple of quibbles in day to day use, I’m planning to keep my unit, it’s been a pretty good success, and invaluable addition to day to day life as a vinyl addict.

Last edited by a moderator:
No Peter, I don’t.

Honestly, I’d seen those reports of unreliability re the ADS and was put off.

And KLA is just out of bounds at almost 2x the cost of ADS, at least here in the UK.

No, I can only comment on experiences using the Degritter.

I’m happy to see that finally there is going to be some competition/price pressure in this space. It’s long been possible to DIY a better cleaner for a fraction of the price but the convenience factor (all in one cleaning drying etc...) of KL/Audiodesk has remained unmatched.

Chris, indeed this niche really could do with shaking up, and if my experience using the beta Degritter is anything to go by, this may be the machine.

I’m going to leave a more in depth review soon, but I just wanted to being the unit to everyone’s notice, and answer any initial queries.

And as those who know my insatiable drive to not choose the usual suspects, but invest in interesting, smaller engineering-led companies, demonstrating absolute value for money, Degritter absolutely ticks my boxes.

No Peter, I don’t.

Honestly, I’d seen those reports of unreliability re the ADS and was put off.

And KLA is just out of bounds at almost 2x the cost of ADS, at least here in the UK.

No, I can only comment on experiences using the Degritter.

Thanks Marc. I was hoping for a comparison to some known RCM so that we have a relative basis for quality, effectiveness and thus value. How did you clean your LPs prior to the beta testing?

Chris, indeed this niche really could do with shaking up, and if my experience using the beta Degritter is anything to go by, this may be the machine.

I’m going to leave a more in depth review soon, but I just wanted to being the unit to everyone’s notice, and answer any initial queries.

And as those who know my insatiable drive to not choose the usual suspects, but invest in interesting, smaller engineering-led companies, demonstrating absolute value for money, Degritter absolutely ticks my boxes.

LOL

yes, Apple, Amazon and Microsoft are intimidating. oh wait; they don't make RCM's.

last time I looked, KL Audio and Audio Desk are also interesting, smaller, engineering led companies......but I get your point. Degritter is the new guy on the block......and you got it. and on paper they might lead the 'spec' war for now.

looks a nice RCM
had 2 ADS & they both broke & they cost almost as much as a complete RCM to repair even if they break under warranty
now replaced with a KL audio which has been faultless to date costs more but better built & more reliable

Cycle 1 on a Loricraft PRC6 with L Art du son & Cycle 2 on the KL records & into mofi inners records are ultra clean

Mike, one has to be SOOOO careful which words one uses online.

I mean Ron saying your Darts are “dryer” LOL.

Ok, scrap that comment, for me I struggle to begin to afford the KLA, and the ADS leaves some doubts in my mind.

Like finding Entreq early in their entry to the UK market, or being the one to help break Stacore, or having the honour of beta testing Sablon Reserva cables, it’s quite a buzz to be right at the start of a fascinating new product.

One that offers a different approach to ultrasonic cleaning ie gentler 120Hz and filtering system, in a highly user-friendly package.

Last edited:
I’m happy to see that finally there is going to be some competition/price pressure in this space. It’s long been possible to DIY a better cleaner for a fraction of the price but the convenience factor (all in one cleaning drying etc...) of KL/Audiodesk has remained unmatched.

It was matched and surpassed some time ago by these guys : http://www.cleanervinyl.com/

Their MAX units allow one to clean / dry up to 24 records at a time, all for a much cheaper price (yes you have to buy your own tank).

Reactions: WntrMute2
Narayan, lots of solutions out there, some very good VFM.

For me the Degritter ticks the boxes for: all in one cleaner and dryer, gentle cleaning cycle, and manageable price.

Narayan, lots of solutions out there, some very good VFM.

For me the Degritter ticks the boxes for: all in one cleaner and dryer, gentle cleaning cycle, and manageable price.

Marc, can you post a video so we can sense how long it takes, how loud it is, and what is involved in the cleaning process? How did you clean your LPs before you had this new RCM and what is the price?

Peter, no go on the video.
I believe it’s 60dB.
Used to run a Loricraft PR4.
Cleaning cycle runs btwn 90s and 5 mins, 3 choices of drying time.
More info on the link I posted.
Early bird price is €1800, I believe it rises to something over €2k thereafter.

Reactions: infinitely baffled
Ked, can you believe I’m keeping yet another component without a/b’ing it against anything else?
You must despair of me.
I mean, just how will I be sure I like it?

This is only going to be a concise review, just to give an idea of the feel of the unit, and it’s method of operation.

It’s a pretty smart piece of industrial design, not unlike a very nice matt silver toaster.

In one slot sits the lp, in the other the slot that secures the water tank.

On the front panel are a couple of dials to choose function and a scrolling display window that indicates cleaning cycle, times and fault finding.

So, pop the lp in the slot, fill the water tank with distilled water/small amount cleaning fluid, choose length of clean/drying period, and get going.

The water tank transfers water into the lp tank, and when complete the ultrasonic cycle starts, gentle rotating the lp while the machine does it’s work.

The Degritter’s main claim to fame is that the cycle is gentler at 120Hz rather than the 40-60Hz used by competing machines.

The reason for this is to:
1- caress the lp rather than blast it, so minimising any potential over pressure on lp grooves.
2- the bubbles are thus smaller meaning the cavitation goes deeper into the grooves/more effective.

Additionally the water is filtered after each wash removing all debris/particles, utilising removable filter, which then can be washed subsequently.

So, the machine works more gently and more deeply than its competitors, and also uniquely filters the cleaning water so subsequent cycles are less polluted.

Now as beta tester, I did have one issue, but this was purely my fault, and so I have to give the machine 100% reliability record, now 100 lps cleaned.

I can genuinely say the Degritter absolutely cleans more effectively than my long-standing Loricraft PRC4, even dealing with fingerprints/greasy residue.

Lps emerge shiny, as new in many ways. SQ is decidedly improved, like all good audio upgrades, a layer of haze is removed.

My system is really detailed and revealing now, and I can pick up definite improvements in sound, especially lack of background hash, and greater delicacy/microdynamics.

In addition, I love the aesthetics and user interface, it’s a joy to operate, my Loricraft was always too Heath Robinson/clunky/messy for my liking, the Degritter just keeps the simplicity to a maximum, and gunk to a minimum.

And the resultant SQ is in another league.

It certainly won’t hurt the company to be more affordable than ADS and KLA, and if the USP on 120Hz ultrasonics and filtering of each wash, plus excellent useability/aesthetics/feel, appeal to potential consumers, the unit will really deserve to sell.

Last edited:
Reactions: infinitely baffled
It was matched and surpassed some time ago by these guys : http://www.cleanervinyl.com/

Their MAX units allow one to clean / dry up to 24 records at a time, all for a much cheaper price (yes you have to buy your own tank).

Thanks for that post and link and I have just watched the videos
They look good value and the 12/24 capability is attractive.
Have you tried them?
The more expensive machines referred to seem more convenient to use but I suspect their cleaning abilities are all pretty similar so the key factors probably boil down to price, durability and convenience . There have been a number of reports of ADS unreliabilty in the past but it maybe they have now got on top of those problems.
If the Degritters prove to be reliable and durable they look at this stage to be a good buy and we will look forward to hearing more from Marc.

Barry, I obviously have the choice to return the unit and get my money back, or stick with Degritter and get a full production unit.

I can’t imagine being without ultrasonic cleaning now, and 100 lps in, things are working seamlessly.

So I’m sticking with the company.
Being at ground floor level with a new enterprise is a lot of fun.

One last thing, the communication I’ve had with chief designer Taniel Põld has been first rate, from my initial first meeting in London when he travelled here to demo the unit at a record shop, to my sporadic comms with him to sort trouble-free day to day operation.
This positive experience has enhanced the good vibes I have in multiple uses of the unit.

Marc is like Jacob Helibrunn. Microstrip is going to love his write-up

Surely I will appreciate it and will probably participate - I own a VPI 17 and an AudoDesk.

BTW, I am almost sure he will not use this thread to proclaim that his cleaned LPs are now sounding much better than the DCS Vivaldi and the Metronome Kalista ... :)

Hey Francisco, you got that right.
I’ve already been reprimanded for saying my tt sounds better with an improved motor psu pwr cord.
Life is a long series of lessons.

However I’m happy for Ked to tell you his Lampi stomps all over the DCS and Metronome.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing