Doctor's Orders-Part Two-The New Listening Room Of Steve Williams

Mark

IMO having heard these3, the ultimate tweak would be to place 4 of them under our listening chair ;)

Or four under the chair...and then sitting on another four on TOP of the chair! ;)

Or four under the chair...and then sitting on another four on TOP of the chair! ;)

Might as well have at least one for the top of your head while we are at it.

Might as well have at least one for the top of your head while we are at it.

excessive; will muddy the sound; brain needs the vibrations

Ah yes. The Stillpoints Ultra 5 hat! Arriving soon at dealers near you.

Hell, maybe I'm onto something here (with partial credit to Sean-We'll share the royalties). Stillpoints hat, Stillpoints shoes, Stillpoints shirt, and Stillpoints pants. I'm still thinking about underwear and socks.

Hell, maybe I'm onto something here (with partial credit to Sean-We'll share the royalties). Stillpoints hat, Stillpoints shoes, Stillpoints shirt, and Stillpoints pants. I'm still thinking about underwear and socks.

You'll make millions if you can channel all the vibrations to a "certain area".

Lee

How about a Stillpoints exercise suit? They are heavy enough to give you a real workout.

On a serious note, I would like to try out the Ultra fives under my speakers, but the only way they would work in my system is if I raise up the listening seat as well. That would be challenging and I'm not sure it would be worth the hassle.

I'm almost sorry I don't have my Alexandrias any longer. I'm dying to hear them with the Ultra 5s in place.

Congratulations Steve. Perhaps because of forums like this, I've heard that some dealers are out of stock of these devices. I hope the price does not increase. With all of the shared experience and positive reviews of these, I'm wondering if anyone has heard a set of Magico QPods under speakers. This whole discussion is making me rethink the solid/hard rounded cone footers I use. I hope to maybe borrow my buddy's Ultra 5s sometime soon. He lives just down the street, but I'm afraid he won't want to listen to his system without the 5s under his speakers.

Too bad the Stillpoints Ultra 5s are $700 each at retail. Even if you could buy them at 'cost' at around $350 each, that's still $2800 for a set of speakers which is more than lots of mere mortals can afford for tweaks and not components. Paying retail at $5,600 for a set of 8 makes sense if your speakers cost over $100K (I guess) because it's all relative. And to think that some of you guys have Stillpoints Ultra 5s under and on top of every damn thing you own including your shoes when you are sitting in your listening chair. Life is good.

Try the Ultra SS (as I have done). I don't really know how it compares to the Ultra 5 but I can say it's worth $2000 to "treat" one pair of speakers, unless your speakers are so inexpensive that $2000 will buy you a much better pair of speakers.

Really Lloyd

My hats off to you, Christian, Frank and many others who brought this topic to to the forefront. I'm sitting here listening to Buddha-Bar Vol lll disk 2 and I feel that I'm in Paris and in that lounge.

I now know what Christian meant when he described the soundstage change. It's difficult to put in words except to say there's more of it.

So, do you think the ultra 5s were a bigger improvement than the Shunyata PCs and PLCs?

Last edited:
Steve, have you thought any more about the "softness" you mentioned? One thing that occurred to me is that the Stillpoints may have lessened a cabinet or room resonance that caused some sharpness or harshness at some frequencies?

So, do think the ultra 5s were a bigger improvement than the Shunyata PCs and PLCs?

As good an improvement as the Stillpoints were, IMO the bigger improvement came with the Shunyata gear. That was a game changer for me.

Steve, have you thought any more about the "softness" you mentioned? One thing that occurred to me is that the Stillpoints may have lessened a cabinet or room resonance that caused some sharpness or harshness at some frequencies?

I thought the same because it is almost an oxymoron to say the deep bass and mid bass is so much clearer and cleaner but yet there is some softening of the sound.

I thought the same because it is almost an oxymoron to say the deep bass and mid bass is so much clearer and cleaner but yet there is some softening of the sound.

Steve,

You should have taken a few measurements before and after. They would be valuable for some other threads! ;)

Softening of the sound is not surprising to me. Wilsons on spikes can have a somewhat forceful, hard sound to them (this is subjective of course, not a fact). By recommendation of Jim Smith (who voiced my Sashas), I use Herbies Labs decoupling gliders underneath my speakers for this reason.

Try the Ultra SS (as I have done). I don't really know how it compares to the Ultra 5 but I can say it's worth $2000 to "treat" one pair of speakers, unless your speakers are so inexpensive that $2000 will buy you a much better pair of speakers.

My system is posted for all to see. I bought some aftermarket feet from Galen Carol that bolt to the bottom of your speakers and give them a wider stance for stability and with adjustable spikes so that you can level them perfectly. They made a very big positive difference. I think they were less than $250 for all four pieces.

Steve ... so the Tripoint Troy SE next ;)

Steve glad to hear you had your Stillpoints socks knocked off. But what does that say about all the room Rx?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing