Doctor's Orders-Part Two-The New Listening Room Of Steve Williams

That's interesting, perhaps the Stillpoints have sunk into your carpet enough to make contact with the subfloor. I don't think that was the case with my friends Vandy's.

That has nothing to do with it. The ultra 5 is a sandwich of two SS metal pucks with their bearing technology in between, hence the wiggle room. If you ever hold one in your hand, you would understand.

That has nothing to do with it. The ultra 5 is a sandwich of two SS metal pucks with their bearing technology in between, hence the wiggle room. If you ever hold one in your hand, you would understand.

And the pucks don't contact the ground beneath them??? Or in this case the carpet.

I was wondering if any Wilson users had difficulty with screwing the adapters into the bottom of the speakers. I found 2 of them went in tighter than the others and I would bet they will be tough to remove when the time comes. Unfortunately there is no indent on the adapter to use the included tool kit screw driver for removing these as you do with the Wilson spikes

I was wondering if any Wilson users had difficulty with screwing the adapters into the bottom of the speakers. I found 2 of them went in tighter than the others and I would bet they will be tough to remove when the time comes. Unfortunately there is no indent on the adapter to use the included tool kit screw driver for removing these as you do with the Wilson spikes

Valuable suggestions if you want to have me write them out; let me know.

I have worked with mechanical objects every week of my life.

zz.

Well I won't worry until the time comes to disassemble the speakers. I am not worried about ruining the adapter but rather stripping the hole into which the adapter is screwed

You do not need to damage the Stillpoints, adapters, or the holes.
There are many techniques that are being lost now that electron devices rule vs. the items from great machine shops.
***Please remember that if the item is tight, it will only get tighter from natural corrosion over time.***
Contact me when the time is right.

zz.

I have been listening for the past several hours and as Christian states it seems like a whole new sound system. I am simply amazed at the clarity of the deep bass and mid bass

I must admit that these polished Ultra 5's under my speakers come across as butt ugly. I wish they were made in anodized black

Like any good Southern boy, all you will ever need is WD40 and Duct tape!

Congrats Steve. Enjoy!

Congrats Steve. Enjoy!

Really Lloyd

My hats off to you, Christian, Frank and many others who brought this topic to to the forefront. I'm sitting here listening to Buddha-Bar Vol lll disk 2 and I feel that I'm in Paris and in that lounge.

I now know what Christian meant when he described the soundstage change. It's difficult to put in words except to say there's more of it.

Ultra 5 Product Clarification

Just to clarify, the technology pockets of the Ultra 5 are in the beveled half of the large 2 stainless pieces. The pockets are not in between the 2 halves.

Really Lloyd

My hats off to you, Christian, Frank and many others who brought this topic to to the forefront. I'm sitting here listening to Buddha-Bar Vol lll disk 2 and I feel that I'm in Paris and in that lounge.

I now know what Christian meant when he described the soundstage change. It's difficult to put in words except to say there's more if it.

It's amazing how seemingly a little vibration can negatively affect music reproduction in a big way. Hats off to Stillpoint's ! It's an amazing product and there is no substitute for this application, IMO.

Just to clarify, the technology pockets of the Ultra 5 are in the beveled half of the large 2 stainless pieces. The pockets are not in between the 2 halves.

I realize that, trying to explain it to Davey was difficult. What I was trying to convey to him is that when you hold the ultra 5 by one of it's halves, you can jiggle to other half, hence that subtle rocking motion his friend spoke of.

Really Lloyd

I now know what Christian meant when he described the soundstage change. It's difficult to put in words except to say there's more of it.

Bienvenue a Paris! It sure has been fun in being able to find something startlingly good, share it with others including Christian and Frank and others, and watch as others have equally found great satisfaction in it. Very very cool...and it would not be possible without a great forum like WBF. Hats off to you.

Too bad the Stillpoints Ultra 5s are $700 each at retail. Even if you could buy them at 'cost' at around $350 each, that's still $2800 for a set of speakers which is more than lots of mere mortals can afford for tweaks and not components. Paying retail at $5,600 for a set of 8 makes sense if your speakers cost over $100K (I guess) because it's all relative. And to think that some of you guys have Stillpoints Ultra 5s under and on top of every damn thing you own including your shoes when you are sitting in your listening chair. Life is good.

Too bad the Stillpoints Ultra 5s are $700 each at retail. Even if you could buy them at 'cost' at around $350 each, that's still $2800 for a set of speakers which is more than lots of mere mortals can afford for tweaks and not components. Paying retail at $5,600 for a set of 8 makes sense if your speakers cost over $100K (I guess) because it's all relative. And to think that some of you guys have Stillpoints Ultra 5s under and on top of every damn thing you own including your shoes when you are sitting in your listening chair. Life is good.

Mark

IMO having heard these3, the ultimate tweak would be to place 4 of them under our listening chair ;)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu