Doctor's Orders-Part Two-The New Listening Room Of Steve Williams

Obviously, wikipedia has not looked over the lumber at their local home depot, etc.

Lee

Thus my quotation marks!

Definitely helpful and I've considered it but don't want to out it in the carpet. I'm thinking some firm cushion for the seat. I've worked hard with upper module adjustments in order to create a life like image. I don't want to lose that.

if you look at my recent system pics, I use high density/felt furniture mover discs that I can stack to adjust seat height. they are about 3/4" thick and 5 inches or so in diameter to deal with thick chair legs.

On a side note, once you hear the benefit with the Wilson's, you may need to do the same for the subwoofers...;)

if you look at my recent system pics, I use high density/felt furniture mover discs that I can stack to adjust seat height. they are about 3/4" thick and 5 inches or so in diameter to deal with thick chair legs.

On a side note, once you hear the benefit with the Wilson's, you may need to do the same for the subwoofers...;)

Steve, why don't you just buy a 24 pack and be done with it :D

Question for Lloyd, Christian and any other Wilson owners who are using Ultra 5's In Place of Wilson Spikes

I can't get mine installed until tomorrow morning but I have them laid out on the floor by the speakers and if I follow the instructions of screw the adapter tightly into the Ultra 5 and then the other end into the speaker and tighten to within a credit card thickness, this will raise my speakers ~3/4" higher...........

1.has this caused any or all of you to adjust your upper modules due to change in tweeter to ear distance at the sitting position

2. have you noticed any change in imaging and height of singers and instruments etc

3. To those who said "these will sound like a whole different speaker", could it be as a result of the change in speaker height?

This was my underlying concern with these

Hi Steve,

1. A few points about the Ultra 5s under my X1s. First, their primary improvement was in clarity and the lower mids thru bass. Clarity, delineation, ease/effortless and almost a solidity of signal/surefootedness in the mids. So my instincts tell me placement to the back wall may matter more than height. That said, I did not move my X1s after installation...for reasons below.

Note, I definitely readjusted my Sub after installation...and then found I had to redo it a few days later...for the same reasons below.

2. The Ultra 5s definitely settle in. You will find that when you plop them under a component, they can slide around easily...wait a few days, and they're 'stuck' underneath and wont slide along your rack anymore...solid. You have to really grab them and pull them off the rack. So any adjustments will probably need to be re-done after they have 'settled in' under the X2s.

As you may recall...X1s are a pain to setup. So I did not readjust them since I was so happy with the improvements...and the Stillpoints guys did offer to come back...but since they are not Wilson distributors, I did not want to find out things got worse which we all know can happen by just a few incorrect movements.

Hope that helps and good luck!

OK gentlemen, start your engines :)

The grunts just left and my Stillpoint Ultra 5's are installed leaving a credit card thickness between bottom of speaker and top of Ultra 5

The equipment is turned on and will warm up for an hour or so before I sit down for some critical listening

Stay tuned :)

IMG_0115.jpg

IMG_0116.jpg

IMG_0118.jpg

Well here is a first observation....... I have yet to listen.

One concern I had was whether it would be difficult for the speaker to lie flat in all planes. This was never an issue with spikes. I worried about the ultra 5's on the carpet and how difficult it would be to get the speakers to lie flat

This was a non issue. Using my levelling device both speakers were level

and needed no adjustments whatsoever.

I had that concern because many years ago my spikes were on Aurios M1b and it was almost impossible to get the speakers level

Steve-Quit beating around your bush and give us the straight scoop on what's going on!

The first thing he'll notice is the floor is not going to sing along - a huge improvement.

The first thing he'll notice is the floor is not going to sing along - a huge improvement.

I know Steve's room has a suspended floor. Do you think a concrete floor with a heavy pad and carpet sings along?

Best tweak you'll ever make! They will sound totally different!

I am still waiting for the tubes to be warmed up before I even listen

As for tweaks Bruce, my moniker many years ago on another forum was "ultimate tweak" :)

I know Steve's room has a suspended floor. Do you think a concrete floor with a heavy pad and carpet sings along?

No, the effect, if any, would be negligible.

I am still waiting for the tubes to be warmed up before I even listen

As for tweaks Bruce, my moniker many years ago on another forum was "ultimate tweak" :)

You ARE the ultimate tweak Steve... Keep us posted!

Why the credit card space between the still points and speakers? Just curious...

Surely the amps are well warmed up and you have some impressions by now? :)

wow...the tension is palpable...;)

Hi Steve,

1. A few points about the Ultra 5s under my X1s. First, their primary improvement was in clarity and the lower mids thru bass. Clarity, delineation, ease/effortless and almost a solidity of signal/surefootedness in the mids. So my instincts tell me placement to the back wall may matter more than height. That said, I did not move my X1s after installation...for reasons below.

Note, I definitely readjusted my Sub after installation...and then found I had to redo it a few days later...for the same reasons below.

2. The Ultra 5s definitely settle in. You will find that when you plop them under a component, they can slide around easily...wait a few days, and they're 'stuck' underneath and wont slide along your rack anymore...solid. You have to really grab them and pull them off the rack. So any adjustments will probably need to be re-done after they have 'settled in' under the X2s.

As you may recall...X1s are a pain to setup. So I did not readjust them since I was so happy with the improvements...and the Stillpoints guys did offer to come back...but since they are not Wilson distributors, I did not want to find out things got worse which we all know can happen by just a few incorrect movements.

Hope that helps and good luck!

Could you clarify one point? I was under the assumption that you would/could order the "screw" that matches Wilson's threading to screw into the speaker and the top of the 5"s. This would eliminate and sliding around.

Thanks, Jim

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu