Doctor's Orders-Part Two-The New Listening Room Of Steve Williams

My system is posted for all to see. I bought some aftermarket feet from Galen Carol that bolt to the bottom of your speakers and give them a wider stance for stability and with adjustable spikes so that you can level them perfectly. They made a very big positive difference. I think they were less than $250 for all four pieces.

Galen Carol is a Stillpoints dealer. do you think they would give you an honest answer about what you might expect with Ultra SS compared to what you have? It's probably worth asking, and there's always that money-back satisfaction guarantee :)

Galen Carol is a Stillpoints dealer. do you think they would give you an honest answer about what you might expect with Ultra SS compared to what you have? It's probably worth asking, and there's always that money-back satisfaction guarantee :)

I've used both, I think the Ultra 5s do far more than the Ultra SS. You won't get close to what everyone is talking about in this thread with the SS.

I've used both, I think the Ultra 5s do far more than the Ultra SS. You won't get close to what everyone is talking about in this thread with the SS.

It maybe speaker dependent. For my MBL 101e, ultra 5 is too much. ultra SS is just nice.

I thought the same because it is almost an oxymoron to say the deep bass and mid bass is so much clearer and cleaner but yet there is some softening of the sound.

So you think the softening of the sound is not good? I think a lot of people try to make the sound more mellow, smoother. Less sharp and edgy is a good thing. Don't you think so?

It maybe speaker dependent. For my MBL 101e, ultra 5 is too much. ultra SS is just nice.

I remember at RMAF 2012, the Omaha dealer showing the Rockport Aviors kept moving the Ultra SS and Ultra 5 around (they had 12 of each, IIRC) and ended up with the Ultra 5 under the amp and preamp and Ultra SS under the speakers and CD player.

I remember at RMAF 2012, the Omaha dealer showing the Rockport Aviors kept moving the Ultra SS and Ultra 5 around (they had 12 of each, IIRC) and ended up with the Ultra 5 under the amp and preamp and Ultra SS under the speakers and CD player.

well here's my concern.

I have Aurios under my amps but nothing under each channel's power supply. Does that mean "16" Ultra 5's under my amps? :confused:

If you're going to do it at all, I'd certainly start with only 3 under each component. It would probably be worth getting some Ultra SS also, since despite what Frank says even Stillpoints seems to think it's not all that clear what the best setup is (although I'm sure they'd like everyone to buy 4 Ultra 5's for each piece in their system... )

well here's my concern.

I have Aurios under my amps but nothing under each channel's power supply. Does that mean "16" Ultra 5's under my amps? :confused:

I did components, rack types with 3 stillpoints...Ultra SS and an LP1 on top. For amps, speakers, some turntables, ultra 5's. IME, the added cost of 5's did not provide enough of an improvement over the SS that warranted their much higher cost for rack component applications. YMMV.

I agree with rbbert it is not a given . I favour the SS Ultras over the 5's under my components , thank the lord !:D, I do have the 5's under my speakers , and all other components treated with the Ultras or a combo of their Component stand ( now discontinued) + Ultra . All expect one that is , the control chassis of my Wavac pre is untreated , Ultras under them skew the energy balance towards the tweeter . So depending on set-up it's all about trial and error , not a given .

As good an improvement as the Stillpoints were, IMO the bigger improvement came with the Shunyata gear. That was a game changer for me.

Thanks for your comments.

Guess it's not the "massive improvement," Christian posted on another forum.

LOL Jap. Perhaps you should try them...then maybe you could make an educated comment. Steve just put them in. It takes a little while to realize the full impact. I'm happy. That is all that counts. Cheers !

We all have different equipment on different racks in different rooms, I would think results would vary. And of course, we never lack for opinions. Another reason I think it's important for us to understand the context of one's opinions regarding the audition of equipment or application of specific tweaks. Opinions are useless to me without knowing, as a minimum, the makeup of one's system and the way that system is implemented. For example, I know which components, speakers and wires Christian uses, he lists them for all to see. I've seen pictures of his room, which he is kind enough to provide. His opinion means much more to me than someone who regularly chimes in on a specific component or tweak but never reveals the contents of the system on which he is basing his comments. Of course, as always, this is only my opinion.

(...) Opinions are useless to me without knowing, as a minimum, the makeup of one's system and the way that system is implemented. For example, I know which components, speakers and wires Christian uses, he lists them for all to see. I've seen pictures of his room, which he is kind enough to provide. His opinion means much more to me than someone who regularly chimes in on a specific component or tweak but never reveals the contents of the system on which he is basing his comments. Of course, as always, this is only my opinion.

+1!

So you think the softening of the sound is not good? I think a lot of people try to make the sound more mellow, smoother. Less sharp and edgy is a good thing. Don't you think so?

Not in my opinion.

LOL Jap. Perhaps you should try them...then maybe you could make an educated comment. Steve just put them in. It takes a little while to realize the full impact. I'm happy. That is all that counts. Cheers !

Jap

you asked me a question and I answered. My response in no way should negate from Christian's experience. These are wonderful under my speakers and make a huge difference.It's just that overall impact in my system was greater with the Shunyata gear. In the great scheme of things these really are worth auditioning. I'm happy as well

I've now spent several days doing some serious critical listening and I really love what I hear. However the placement of the Ultra 5's has clearly raised my speakers by 3/4"-1" and therefore the singer's voices and mouths does sound high to me and definitely needs correction

Some terrific ideas have been offered as to putting wood under the chair or it's 4 posts to raise it the corresponding amount to offset the speaker height increase.

Being a short guy I am not keen on putting wood under my chair. For me the answer is simple by adjusting the upper modules on the speaker one click forward. I did this when I took off the rollers and spiked the speakers. IOW the speakers sit ~ 3/4" lower on spikes than rollers. Problem of change in imaging was resolved at that time by moving the upper modules forward one click. IMO the Stillpoints raise the speakers to the same height as the rollers. Thus I will do this adjustment this morning and report back my findings.

Some have commented that the Wilson algorithms allows for this 3/4" wiggle room. For my ears, I am not buying this and adjustment is necessary

Jap

you asked me a question and I answered. My response in no way should negate from Christian's experience. These are wonderful under my speakers and make a huge difference.It's just that overall impact in my system was greater with the Shunyata gear. In the great scheme of things these really are worth auditioning. I'm happy as well

Steve - how much is the cost of the Shunyata upgrade you are referring to, relative to the cost of the (not inexpensive) Ultra 5s?

Jap

Cost of my Shunyata upgrade so far exceeds $30K

I think in the context of a $5600 upgrade ($700/Ultra 5 x 8 Ultra 5s), the question is do you feel both are value for money at their respective prices? In the context of my own experience, I found the Ultra 5s and HRS M3/Nimbus Couplers to do something to my existing component I could not find any other way to replicate...and yes, the upgrade in sound was significant enough I am happy to have done it.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing