Doctor's Orders-Part Two-The New Listening Room Of Steve Williams

I'm curious, has anyone tried using a crossover with their subwoofer implementation?
I have Wilsone Alexandrias with a JL Gotham coming in 'underneath' the Wilson's at 45hz. It sounds great.... Still, very curious of the advantages/trade offs with the JL Audio CR-1 crossover added to the picture. I have read many comments on these setups but no real experiences myself.

The notion of easing the load on the main amplifiers seems logical. Yet, it is more componetry, cables etc.

Hi GShelley,

Nice system! Thanks for posting the question...i look forward to hearing the answers as well. I did ask my local Wilson dealer about the Thor/Wilson crossover setup where Wilson is endorsing the use of their own crossover with the big Xs, and they definitely felt that crossing over the Alexandrias around 38hz +/- had a big improvement in relieving the big Xs of a fairly taxing (and thus potentially distorting) frequency range.

I cannot say exactly how that translates into sound myself, but the dealer here who has done it on a number of occassions felt that the clarity was improved in the upper bass...though to be fair, a huge piece of the improvement came from the sheer effortless power of the dual Thors in the system. He said 3 grown men sat there for 3 hours after setting up the Thors...and watched an action flick they did not even like simply because the bass power was transfixing.

Thanks for the input. I do plan to add another subwoofer at some point.
The Wilson/Thor combo is a good viewpoint. One that seems to validate the approach of using a crossover- a very high quality (aka transparent) one.

M&k sampler

m and k Sampler.jpg

Steve I wanted to recommend an album of which you you might no think. This is from the direct to disc albums. I also purchased some of the individual albums like Foi Duke.
M&K REALTIME RECORDS SUPER SAMPLER FROM THEIR DIRECT-TO-DISC ALBUMS.

ALBUM CONTAINS THE FOLLOWING ARTISTS / SELECTIONS; 1. BEETHOVEN'S 9TH, 4TH MOVEMENT - THE MARCH & PRESTISSIMO FINALE - L.A. CAMERATA ORCHESTRA 2. THE POWER AND THE GLORY, VOLUME 1, EXCERPT FROM BACH'S TOCCATA AND FUGUE IN D MINOR - LLOYD HOLZGRAFT 3. FLAMENCO FEVER - LIORANA - FELIPE de la ROSA 4. ENCORE - SET DOWN SERVANT / DRY BONES - THE ROGER WAGNER CHORALE 5. THE MAGNIFICENT BASSO - EXCERPT FROM MOZART'S MARRIAGE OF FIGARO - MICHAEL LI-PAZ 6. THE POWER AND THE GLORY, VOLUME 11 - EXCERPT FROM BACH'S NUN DANCKT ALLE GOTT - LLOYD HOLZGRAF 7. FOR DUKE - TAKE THE A TRAIN - BILL BERRY AND THE ELLINGTON ALL STARS 8. FATHA - BIRDLAND - EARL "FATHA" HINES 9. HOT STIX - EXCERPT FROM CARAVAN - ED GRAHAM 10. YET CHASERS - I'VE GOT MY FINGERS CROSSED - THE YETI CHASERS 11. GOLDEN THEMES - THE GODFATHER THEME - LOS SALTERIOS SHIPPING $13 U.S. PICKUPS WELCOME

Other than Sheffield- Thelma Houston I Got the Music in Me, it is my favorite"Audiophile disc," It is an excellent test for your turntable.I only wish I had a quality system like yours back in the eighties.

You might be surprised by how much you enjoy the Flamenco dancer and the opera selection.

I have it...fun for audiophile sound testing...the music actually sucks.

You'll find quite a few people who will disagree with you with regard to the music - and I'm one of them.

The best recorded flamenco music I have is still Pepe Romero's Flamenco on Phillips. I know that many won't agree there because it's a digital recording, but this is one album I enjoy a lot. I had some say that the Manitas de Plata album was also badly played. As with anything musical, the value of a performance depends on the mood of the listener.

I actually like Flamenco music so thanks for the recommendation guys. Greg I intend to look into your rec. as well.

I've been busy these last 10 days cleaning all the records I have acquired from buying up libraries so it's been very time consuming but I am looking forward to listening to these records

Gary I am looking forward to seeing you in Costa Mesa on Nov 3 at Segerstrom

I actually like Flamenco music so thanks for the recommendation guys. Greg I intend to look into your rec. as well.

I've been busy these last 10 days cleaning all the records I have acquired from buying up libraries so it's been very time consuming but I am looking forward to listening to these records

Steve it is one of a handful of so called audiophile recordings, direct to disc to boot, that is absolutely stunning musically.

Imagine hearing it at age 12 on an all Quad system. It sends shivers down my spine, but i also adore Flemenco. Seeing it performed live was life changing.

I too love Flamenco. I'm part Spanish and from Souther Spain to boot. One of my life's musical highlights was hearing the real deal in the cave taverns of Granada. That said, boy that guy's smile and outfit on Flamenco Fever really are totally cheesy. I didn't see a single gypsy that looked like that. LOL.

I too love Flamenco. I'm part Spanish and from Souther Spain to boot. One of my life's musical highlights was hearing the real deal in the cave taverns of Granada. That said, boy that guy's smile and outfit on Flamenco Fever really are totally cheesy. I didn't see a single gypsy that looked like that. LOL.

Jack, his outfit is pretty typical of what I see with Flamenco performed by Mexican artists. And make no mistake, the they perform it with the same passion and intensity.

Steve, I look forward to seeing you!

If you're up for it, I'll bring a few LPs and we can adjourn to your room after the recording. I haven't been to your place since all the major upgrades - I'm especially looking forward to hearing the Air Force One in your system.

Steve, I look forward to seeing you!

If you're up for it, I'll bring a few LPs and we can adjourn to your room after the recording. I haven't been to your place since all the major upgrades - I'm especially looking forward to hearing the Air Force One in your system.

It would be my pleasure Gary

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing