Doctor's Orders-Part Two-The New Listening Room Of Steve Williams

It is wonderful that our leader and founder, Steve, has concluded that MasterBuilt ("MB") cables have transformed his system. I personally have never heard Steve so excited about a new product he has introduced into his system!

Titillating tech references to "CERN" and "aerospace," without an explanation of exactly how and why those connections make the MB design and materials superior for audio, as well as why these cables should nearly double perceived volume versus some network box cables, has some people scratching their heads.

The statements such as "it was like listening to a totally different sound system"; "revolutionary product"; and "soaring in a straight line towards perfection" has caused some members to ask me "where are the hyperbole police?"

I think Ack and others simply are looking for more specific, detailed listening impression comparisons between the MB cables and other cables members have used in their own systems.

For example, gammajo's post was very interesting to me -- and persuasive as he is a musician and he has a piano in the room! -- but what cables did he use before the MB cables?

I wonder if perhaps this conversation should be moved into its own thread and away from Steve's system thread.

That's Steve's call but Steve asked for our inputs. Like I said we've been using these for years and we never peppered other threads with MB namedrop posts. If you see mentions they are in our own threads. We didn't do it on Audio Circle and we surely didn't do it here. I just don't like the impression that we're drum beating when history shows we've done no such thing. These cables may be new to most but they are NOT new to us.

It is wonderful that our leader and founder, Steve, has concluded that MasterBuilt ("MB") cables have transformed his system. I personally have never heard Steve so excited about a new product he has introduced into his system!

Titillating tech references to "CERN" and "aerospace," without an explanation of exactly how and why those connections makes the MB design and materials superior for audio, as well as why these cables should nearly double perceived volume versus network box cables, has some people scratching their heads.

The hyperbole such as "it was like listening to a totally different sound system"; "revolutionary product"; and "soaring in a straight line towards perfection" has caused some members to ask me "where are the hyperbole police?"

I think Ack and others simply are looking for more specific, detailed listening impression comparisons between the MB cables and other cables members have used in their own systems.

For example, gammajo's post was very interesting to me -- and persuasive as he is a musician and he has a piano in the room! -- but what cables did he use before the MB?

Precisely my point Ron

However you are coming to my house on Sunday. We will listen and then talk intelligently about what we both heard

I can't wait! :)

I beg your pardon, Jack. When I question one's integrity, I do it by name. I did not mention you or anyone else by name in my challenge, but then you jumped in and expressed offense at my challenge (and I raised it when every onwer's comments collectively eventually crossed over my threshold and into the "provocative"). You continue to be defensive. But to be quite honest, eventually, if and when you or anyone else starts attacking me, yes, it will probably get to that, too, but hasn't yet. Therefore, no, I am not questioning anyone's honesty or integrity, but neither am I taking things for granted, no matter how many people say the same thing - "show me" means the claims are too good to be true, and in this case, some are too hazy as well (e.g. on the cables' alloys). But perhaps this has gone on for too long.

Okay Ack. Let's bury the hatchet. I'm not out to get you. Do allow me to expound on why I got even more irked. Consider what "showing" entails. A loan assumes a good business relationship. Presumably you have one with your dealers so it would not be out of line to give them a call and perhaps have them bring stuff over. If you were here I would have no qualms even if you had no intention to buy, it would be a just for fun situation. Clearly you wouldn't buy the speaker cables and since we both are full loom kind of guys wouldn't stray with ICs either. I'd do it because well, we're friends. Now from a business stand point, these things are perhaps not as expensive as MITs but they still do cost money to have loaners in stock. Now saying "show me" for the sake of it just seems unreasonable to me. It's damned from the start since you'd be pulling on your system's reins. Clearly for you it is MIT and it should be. Now when you say, you will lose all respect for VSA if they don't beat your MITs, given your system context is that fair? Even if they wouldn't cause your system stress, wouldn't you need the time to fully optimize the system with this new loom? That time costs the loaner money too. That time could be spent lending them to people actually interested in making a purchase. Yes some of the guys here are very enthusiastic but that is no crime, especially if they didn't knock any other product down in the process of being so. Damon and Leif have been frank about their biases too so what's the problem really? Maybe you and I just differ in that I don't mind seeing people wax poetic over their stuff and you do. Let's just leave it at that. Sorry I came across as pissed. That is only because I was.

Big VSA fan here also running some MB Ultra cables in my system - I would like to post my impressions to add to the discussion but will wait for a new thread to start.

Okay Ack. Let's bury the hatchet. I'm not out to get you. Do allow me to expound on why I got even more irked. Consider what "showing" entails. A loan assumes a good business relationship. Presumably you have one with your dealers so it would not be out of line to give them a call and perhaps have them bring stuff over. If you were here I would have no qualms even if you had no intention to buy, it would be a just for fun situation. Clearly you wouldn't buy the speaker cables and since we both are full loom kind of guys wouldn't stray with ICs either. I'd do it because well, we're friends. Now from a business stand point, these things are perhaps not as expensive as MITs but they still do cost money to have loaners in stock. Now saying "show me" for the sake of it just seems unreasonable to me. It's damned from the start since you'd be pulling on your system's reins. Clearly for you it is MIT and it should be. Now when you say, you will lose all respect for VSA if they don't beat your MITs, given your system context is that fair? Even if they wouldn't cause your system stress, wouldn't you need the time to fully optimize the system with this new loom? That time costs the loaner money too. That time could be spent lending them to people actually interested in making a purchase. Yes some of the guys here are very enthusiastic but that is no crime, especially if they didn't knock any other product down in the process of being so. Damon and Leif have been frank about their biases too so what's the problem really? Maybe you and I just differ in that I don't mind seeing people wax poetic over their stuff and you do. Let's just leave it at that. Sorry I came across as pissed. That is only because I was.

Jack, I think you read too much into "show me"; it's a figure of speech and it wasn't directed at you. In my original post today, I listed a number of issues that raise concern, then clearly asked "Who do I contact". I don't expect you or anyone else to literally come here and show me anything, nor am I ordering anyone to do anything. Steve caught onto that, and he pointed me to Leif; that's the type of response that was expected, and that should have been the end of it. Don't forget, this is not the first time in these pages that people wax poetic about something, then backtrack entirely later on - like with the Stillpoints... I am sure we would agree that we see this "show me" attitude every day in the work place - when my teams make bold claims, that's my typical response; and by extension, higher-ups ask the same of me. Here's a typical email I got just last week from my boss: "Are you 100% confident in that? The engineers feel that is way off so you will need to have some data to back that up."

I'll let VSA decide if they want to loan me anything, and I wouldn't feel bad if they didn't - yes, they are probably better off actually trying to sell these products to someone else.

(...) The hyperbole such as "it was like listening to a totally different sound system"; "revolutionary product"; and "soaring in a straight line towards perfection" has caused some members to ask me "where are the hyperbole police?" (...)

Probably it was getting some rest, anticipating a lot of work when I will start posting hyperbolically about the DCS Vivaldi ... ;)

Titillating tech references to "CERN" and "aerospace," without an explanation of exactly how and why those connections make the MB design and materials superior for audio, as well as why these cables should nearly double perceived volume versus some network box cables, has some people scratching their heads.

The statements such as "it was like listening to a totally different sound system"; "revolutionary product"; and "soaring in a straight line towards perfection" has caused some members to ask me "where are the hyperbole police?"
The "what's going on" is that Steve's system, like others before him, has tipped over the hurdle of quality that's needed for convincing sound to occur. But it's not because the cables in themselves are "magical", rather they are competent enough in their design and manufacture to attenuate issues in the sound which one gets used to, but are in fact hindering the subjective response. What's very interesting for me in all this, is that a solution for rigs that use components of this quality can be realised by using a particular cabling strategy, something very useful to know.

There are alternatives to this high cost approach, the sorts of things I've experimented with over the years - the "many roads to Rome" situation ...

Probably it was getting some rest, anticipating a lot of work when I will start posting hyperbolically about the DCS Vivaldi ... ;)

Congrats Micro , will be a major step up,from the Metronome.

Thank you.

It has been a while as I've had the turntable for just over one year

Indeed it has been a while, I'm slowly catching up to see what sort of pressings you like to listen to. I'm moving my vinyl setup to my ESL57 system and selling my best pressings to upgrade the speakers for the primary system (leaning towards Vivids, I need to hear the latest ATCs with their new in house built tweeter). If you're interested in audiophile or original first US/UK pressings feel free to shoot me a message. I grew up with digital/cassettes so this made me pretty picky when it came to LP condition, surface noise, etc.

Congrats Micro , will be a major step up,from the Metronome.

It was a step, in the same way the Metronome was a step after the ARC CD players. It needed two weeks burn-in before getting the easiness and airiness of the Metronome's - I still have the Metronome and could compare them. Anyway it will oblige me to change a lot my system to get the best of it - it is not a drop and forget piece.

My wife, Tinka, and I had a wonderful lunch today in Laguna Beach with Steve and Cathy.

IMG_0004.jpg

Then we returned to Steve and Cathy's house for a brief listening session. We listened to:

"The Rose" by Amanda McBroom, Growing Up in Hollywood Town (Sheffield Lab 13)

“Rhiannon,” by Fleetwood Mac, Fleetwood Mac (MFSL)

"Hallelujah" by Jeff Buckley, Grace (ORG)

A track from For Duke (M&K)

A track from Dream with Dean (Collectors' Choice Music)​

We did not A/B the MasterBuilt cables (that will have to await the next visit), but I can say that I heard more resonance and richness and decay on "Hallelujah" than I remember ever hearing before.

IMG_0009.jpg

Thank you very much, Steve and Cathy, for a great lunch and a very fun day! We look forward to reciprocating soon in LA!

VERY nice photos, thanks for sharing.

Looking fabulous!

It was a fun afternoon as Cathy and I were finally able to welcome Ron and Tinka back to beautiful sunny California.

A very hot day as it was 102 when we left home and was still 84 right on the ocean in Laguna Beach

You must have Tucson's weather in Orange County.

Today the high will be 79 degrees and we have a little rain here.

Our summer heat has finally passed and we can turn the air conditioner off.

I had the pleasure of welcoming Philip O'Hanlon over to my house again yesterday and one of the things I always love about Philip is his eclectic collection of music.

Yesterday was no exception as Philip brought over several tapes to play.

I have always been a big Yello fan and Philip brought along a release from Horch House in Germany that he bought at the recent Munich audio show

This album on tape lit up our ears as it was that good.

For those with tape machines this is one tape that is a must for one's tape library

IMG_4930.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing