Doctor's Orders-Part Two-The New Listening Room Of Steve Williams

Sharp 1080

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas,Texas
Steve,
I apologize for not keeping in closer touch with you. I'm here in California again and if possible I need to listen to your system please? If you have the time? I will bring vinyl this time. When Ron mentioned listening to Light my Fire, I can still remember the demo you played of the Doors on reel to reel! ;)

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
Ah, New Zealand. One of the most if not the most beautiful country I have ever visited. Have fun. If only the real estate was not so expensive there. I would love to spend part of the year in Queenstown, even though I am a tad old for the general population there.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
It's been awhile since I have had any comments involving my system. That doesn't mean I'm not listening to it just that my status quo has kept a smile on my face.because I am still enjoying what I am hearing. I still have 2 empty shelves on my horizontal CMS rack whch are there for a purpose and my 2 year search is almost over. Those racks are destined for a new DAC and a new music server and my decision is almost finalized so I'd like to reserve comments until I have more to report

Nonetheless I would like to suggest a remaster of a very old album which I preordered through Acoustic Sounds over a years ago and it was finally delivered a few days ago. Frankly I had forgotten about it

For all of you Hendrix fans this album should bring back memories. Chad Kasem has reissued The Jimi Hendrix Experience Axis:Bold As Love

Acoustically the music is spectacular especially when Hendrix played. Dynamics are superb and the drum solos were exceptional.

Chad has released the album already in mono and it is sold out as I expect this stereo version to be shortly

Although it isn't one of my favorite Hendrix albums I have listened to it several times already and would definitely recommend it

IMG_8727.jpeg

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) Those racks are destined for a new DAC and a new music server and my decision is almost finalized so I'd like to reserve comments until I have more to report (...)

Great - I am really curious to know which DAC you choose for the Lamm LL1/ML3!

Reactions: the sound of Tao

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
+1!

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Very exciting Steve. I look forward to reading what you decide. I guess it can't be one of those multi box DACs like the Select II if you only have two shelves available. Or perhaps you could stack them.

Is it just me or does that second tonearm in your photo look really low? I can barely see it. Which arm/cartridge combo are you listening to these days?

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
It's been awhile since I have had any comments involving my system. That doesn't mean I'm not listening to it just that my status quo has kept a smile on my face.because I am still enjoying what I am hearing. I still have 2 empty shelves on my horizontal CMS rack whch are there for a purpose and my 2 year search is almost over. Those racks are destined for a new DAC and a new music server and my decision is almost finalized so I'd like to reserve comments until I have more to report

Nonetheless I would like to suggest a remaster of a very old album which I preordered through Acoustic Sounds over a years ago and it was finally delivered a few days ago. Frankly I had forgotten about it

For all of you Hendrix fans this album should bring back memories. Chad Kasem has reissued The Jimi Hendrix Experience Axis:Bold As Love

Acoustically the music is spectacular especially when Hendrix played. Dynamics are superb and the drum solos were exceptional.

Chad has released the album already in mono and it is sold out as I expect this stereo version to be shortly

Although it isn't one of my favorite Hendrix albums I have listened to it several times already and would definitely recommend it

View attachment 51386
A new DAC digital system...congtrats Steve. I’m sure you have auditioned a few. I wouldn’t suggest a lean to the dark side...lol. Nice to see you upgrading the system.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I will be very curious what you decide to get, Steve!

Steve Williams

I will be very curious what you decide to get, Steve!

So will I ;)
I have it narrowed down but I have to admit it’s not happening imminently as I have to regroup as we just finished a huge demolition and remodel of our kitchen and family room over the past 6 weeks which wiped me out

Reactions: Woofer and Tweet

Steve Williams

Very exciting Steve. I look forward to reading what you decide. I guess it can't be one of those multi box DACs like the Select II if you only have two shelves available. Or perhaps you could stack them.

Is it just me or does that second tonearm in your photo look really low? I can barely see it. Which arm/cartridge combo are you listening to these days?
I see what you mean but it is the angle in which I took the photo

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Congrats Steve the new moves. Once you decide on your new DAC I hope you take time to share what you've auditioned to make your choice.

Reactions: PeterA

Steve Williams

I received 2 of Ed Pong's 5 recent tape releases and finally got a chance to listen to these tapes.

Ed continues to amaze me with the talent that he finds for his recording sessions . Not only are they superb musicians but the music picked has always been new treasures for me as I find myself listening to his tapes countless times and hearing something new with each listen.

The quality of the recordings are second to none and at last count I have 18 of Ed's tapes. Each and every one of them continue to occupy top shelf in my tape collection

These last 2 bring two new artists Alena Baeva on violin and Vadym Kholodenko on piano

I thought both tapes were excellent but I especially liked the Schubert Rondo recorded live at Ed's famous recording studio at his home outside Toronto

I found that both performers brought with a totally different style than the two Ed has previously recorded over the past few years. Narita was my favorite violinist but listening to Alena play it was simply beautiful

Both these tapes should he heard if you are a classical music fan. Ed has enlightened my senses and knowledge of Classical music and for me this is a very good thing

Reactions: ack

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Actually I could care less what Steve thinks of the MSB...LOL

Steve Williams

How's the MSB DAC?
Actually I could care less what Steve thinks of the MSB...LOL

Do either of you have point that you are trying to make in my system blog. Is there somewhere in my system blog where I mention I have an MSB DAC or are you just being inflammatory

This is the type of stuff that I find bothersome and offensive

In the other thread to which I am sure you allude HiFi Guy said I played music in an MSB and things lit up

I corrected the issue by stating he was hearing the music through my very old Playback Designs and suddenly the both of you have something to say that is truly bothersome and so out of line it needs notice

Both of you should read this. Once you do you might want to look on the mirror

https://whatsbestforum.com/threads/observations-and-suggestions.28270/

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
no one has any ill will here Steve.

you are the one teasing with talking about space for a new dac. i saw Kingsrule's post and just innocently +1'd. nothing more. i had not seen Mike's slip up.

it's really not a big deal.

certainly delete this post and my other one if you prefer. i respect it's your system thread and you don't want to derail it.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing