Does the Audiophile Community Have a Problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Three if he's married.

There has only been a small handful of women in the hobby and there is scant evidence that this is by anything but personal choice. Saying we need to change how we speak and act for the sake of some faux inclusivity is bollocks.

I think this attitude may be exactly why there are so few women in the hobby.

Members may need to change how they post and interact to satisfy the decorum and cordiality standard of WBF.

Did it occur to a logician such as yourself that the "personal choice" decision by women not to participate in the hobby might be the result of men's attitudes toward women in the hobby?

Last edited:
Reactions: DaveC and KeithR
No, Ron...women have better things to do then obsess about music and gear. Our general grumpy unsociability as men is just the icing on the cake as to why this hobby is one hugely male-oriented pursuit.

Our general grumpy unsociability as men is just the icing on the cake as to why this hobby is one hugely male-oriented pursuit.
Well . . . then . . . stop being grumpy and unsociable!

Reactions: dminches
I think younger generations will have an easier time keeping civil on line since they will have been relating that way their whole life. Older folks have not really learned to make that transition smoothly.

I had a client who I had not yet met in person who seemed resistant to helping me get my work done. However, once we met in person the relationship completely changed. He trusted me and was now happy working together.

Many people on line have never met and I think that drives some of the aggressive behavior. Once you have met in person it changes everything. There is more of a desire to make the friendship good and more of a realization that there is person behind the screen name.

<psychology rant off>

Reactions: K3RMIT
How about we flip the coin. Stop asking why are women not into this hobby. Why don't we find a women forum that is under served by old men and en mass join and participate.

As I was amusing myself with the thought, my mind went to, would they even want our participation. I highly doubt they would.

I think younger generations will have an easier time keeping civil on line since they will have been relating that way their whole life. Older folks have not really learned to make that transition smoothly.

I had a client who I had not yet met in person who seemed resistant to helping me get my work done. However, once we met in person the relationship completely changed. He trusted me and was now happy working together.

Many people on line have never met and I think that drives some of the aggressive behavior. Once you have met in person it changes everything. There is more of a desire to make the friendship good and more of a realization that there is person behind the screen name.

<psychology rant off>
You're joking, yes?
Have you been on campus recently?
In the UK, a prestigious head of her own dance school has recently been cancelled by her own students, I'm not seeing any civility from young people here.

Reactions: ddk and wil
How about we flip the coin. Stop asking why are women not into this hobby. Why don't we find a women forum that is under served by old men and en mass join and participate.

As I was amusing myself with the thought, my mind went to, would they even want our participation. I highly doubt they would.
Women suffer enough by us, why torture them even more? Lol.

• Haha
Reactions: bonzo75 and ddk
My wife actually likes my participation in her hobbies. Her favorite is walking around the house, pointing at things like the lawn, dishes, dirty floors etc and having me clean them.

You're joking, yes?
Have you been on campus recently?
In the UK, a prestigious head of her own dance school has recently been cancelled by her own students, I'm not seeing any civility from young people here.

No, I am not joking nor was I talking about kids when they are young. I am talking about how they will behave when they get to be our age. Maybe that wasn’t clear in my comments.

I have zero confidence. I don't suspect they'll be arguing about hifi. But they'll still be arguing.
Social media has totally distorted our modes of discourse and our natural filters.
Just look at most Trip Advisor reviews for restaraunts and hotels, 95% of negative reviews are disgusting in their unrestrained vitriol.
That's not changing.

My wife actually likes my participation in her hobbies. Her favorite is walking around the house, pointing at things like the lawn, dishes, dirty floors etc and having me clean them.
By special invitation only.

• Haha
Reactions: ddk
I have zero confidence. I don't suspect they'll be arguing about hifi. But they'll still be arguing.
Social media has totally distorted our modes of discourse and our natural filters.
Just look at most Trip Advisor reviews for restaraunts and hotels, 95% of negative reviews are disgusting in their unrestrained vitriol.
That's not changing.

Maybe that's the reason women don't go to restaurants.

• Haha
Reactions: ddk
That's not changing.

I can’t predict.

My more important point was the effect of meeting people in person.

Reactions: tima
I can’t predict.

My more important point was the effect of meeting people in person.

Go meet a person, get friendly, then come back online and don't praise his system to high heaven. Try saying anything less than superlative. The vitriol will follow

Reactions: Lagonda
Go meet a person, get friendly, then come back online and don't praise his system to high heaven. Try saying anything less than superlative. The vitriol will follow
Well, that's the point. Meet. And leave it at that, or think about very carefully in your choice of online words. What you say likely will say more about you than them.

Reactions: dminches
My wife, bless her heart, is a good deal more practical and much smarter than I. She enjoys the hobby but just can’t sit still for the same length of time as myself. Our musical tastes vary too I get impatient if the playlist includes a lot of 70‘s disco.

I think it is OK to accept the fact there is some stuff that guys are into, some stuff women are into. Sure there is cross over and exceptions, but I think wanting more women in the hobby is because men like women and they are more fun to look at than a wall covered with “absorbers.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing